Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Tee box air shot!

Posted by: user39425 | Sun 17th Feb 2008 20:54 | Last Reply

Me again on the rules. You go to take your shot off the tee, and you miss (air shot). Do you count this miss a one stroke?

re: Tee box air shot!
user9368
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 21:25

Yes if your intention was to hit the ball then it counts. Whereas knocking the ball off the tee whilst setting up dosnt count.

user39425
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2008 17:55

Got 0.1 back at the weekend, but the way I played the last 5 holes on Saturday I need more than 2 shots back. Its one of those rules where everybody and is dog has got a different opinion on.    I think Colins got it right.  

user9368
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2008 20:24

it has been known

user64175
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 19:03

The miss counts as one stroke, no penalty, Rule 11-3.

Another one for you Graham. What is the outcome if a ball breaks into peices on impact from club face??? 

user52922
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 19:19

If a ball breaks into pieces as a result of a stroke, the stroke is canceled and the player must play a ball, without penalty, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was played

user23840
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 19:26

And stop buying cheap balls.

user52922
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 20:01

Giving my secrets away, Danny.

user61976
Reply : Wed 5th Mar 2008 18:49

Tweedy we have been advised wrong

A “stroke’’ is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke.

user52922
Reply : Wed 5th Mar 2008 19:00

NO he hasn't ,please explain to me how one can have an air shot without a forward movement.

An air shot is counted as a stroke. What you have quoted is something different entirely.

user50354
Reply : Wed 5th Mar 2008 19:05

No Harry, that is a different scenario to Grahams question:

a) Graham asks "You go to take your shot off the tee, and you miss (air shot). Do you count this miss a one stroke?" - answer is yes it counts as a stroke.

b) Your quote refers to the player checking the downswing rather than an air shot..

An air shot is an attempt to hit the ball but missing and this is counted as one stroke whether on the tee or not..

NWOT.......

user61976
Reply : Thu 6th Mar 2008 15:54

Hi Robbie

I play golf with Tweedy regular I know were he is coming from.

I have always took an air shot off the tee as a stroke but some of the people we play with seem to think that the rule had been changed last year, to say that the ball was not in play until it had been hit off the tee. ie if you miss the ball it is not in play there fore no stoke.

Now I can go back to to my mates and put them right regarding air shots on the tee.

user41897
Reply : Thu 6th Mar 2008 16:36

If you recall, Tiger did exactly this in the 2007 Masters.  There was much discussion about what pulling out when swinging with the power that Tiger does does to your body - ouch.  And, if I am correct, it was not a stroke as he pulled out rather than missed (as if he would)

user26342
Reply : Thu 6th Mar 2008 17:05

I find it quite hard to pull out while in mid stroke

user50354
Reply : Thu 6th Mar 2008 20:08

Hi Harry,

Not a rules guro mate but the way I understand it is that the ball is in play as soon as the player has made a stroke on the teeing ground.

"Made" as opposed to "complete" the stroke. My interpretation is that by making the stroke, the ball is in play and as such an air shot would count as a stroke...

But I may be wrong mate..Anybody any more thoughts on this one...

NWOT........

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 7th Mar 2008 09:16

Wow Keith, you really meant that didn't you

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top