Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Level playing field - Tiger Woods (Buick Invitational)

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 27th Jan 2008 20:56 | Last Reply

Misleading title really.  It's not a question about Tiger versus the rest but the actual format of the Buick Invitational. 

Should everyone competing have the same exact scenario in a single or team sport ?

Now I don't see anything wrong with on the final 2 days the leading players going last and maybe getting a competitive edge, they obviously get to see conditions and what everyone else is doing.  Having played better the previous 2 days it would seem their right.  This is similar to the Motor sport analogy of qualifying and the fastest car/bike being on pole position. 

But can you hold a fair event with golfers playing on 2 different courses on the first 2 days like with the Buick Invitational this week ? Okay everyone plays the same course on the final 2 days but surely this could result in an unfair competitive advantage.

It's noted that the South course is the harder of the 2 and will be used for this year's US Open but golf is also controlled by the elements.  Some could have played on the easier North course on the Thursday and then had to contend with the harder South course on the Friday in terrible conditions.  Potentially the golfers playing the reverse would have had an easier time.  Is this fair ?  

On a similar vine and something of relevance to me, can a stableford competition be fair if a 2 tee start is used and some start on the 1st and others on the 10th ?

Out of interest anyone know the official ruling for countback in this scenario ?  Thankfully I didn't have to worry about that at the 2 tee start at the Wokefield Park event last year.

Regards, Darren. 

re: Level playing field - Tiger Woods (Buick Invitational)
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 10:42

No to the suggestion about changes in weather conditions. I think we all except this and this is the same for sports with time trials such as Rally and Cycling.

I do think they have gone to far with 2 different courses though.  I supposed sports nowadays are very heavily influenced by the commercial aspect and this is ture for players also.

user48641
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 11:14

just out of curiosity how are the pairs drawn up ? are names just pulled out of a hat ?

guess theres just too many players and they gotta accomdate them somehow, bit difficult if your two favourits players u wanna watch are on the opposite courses tho !!  lol

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 19:36

I think Crysler is fine because they all play the same courses on the same day. 

This is the same for the Scottish pro-am links event over 3 courses, which I can't remember the name of.

user23840
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 19:43

Dunhill cup?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top