Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Converting from Danish to UK handicap

Posted by: user81527 | Sat 26th Jan 2008 17:34 | Last Reply

Hi

I have just moved to the UK, and would like to know how I can convert my Danish handicap to a UK handicap.

Thanks in advance.
Best
Steen

re: Converting from Danish to UK handicap
user52922
Reply : Sat 26th Jan 2008 19:01

Your Danish handicap will have been earned under the auspices of the Danish Golf Union, which will have operated its handicap scheme under the same rules as the R & A and USGA.

This, in effect, means that your handicap is valid and accepted in any country in the world.

If, on the other hand, you are referring to changing the 28 shown on Golfshake to what you actually are, I believe that this can be set manually.

Welcome to the UK and I hope you enjoy many of our fine courses.

Last edit : Sat 26th Jan 2008 19:02
user52922
Reply : Sat 26th Jan 2008 20:39

You may be well right in your assumption that it is not that simple. Thank you for raising this issue.

I still say that his handicap would be acccepted in this country at any club as it has come from a recognised golf union. The differences between the two/three systems will no doubt have been discussed at some time or other and adjustments made either way to copensate.

My personal view is that the whole system of handicapping is intrinsically flawed, in many ways, and does not do what it was attempting to achieve in the first place, i.e everyone crossing the line together, so that this game could be enjoyed competitively by all standards of players.

Just look at your next competition and see the difference between the winner and the last man home.

This is why their is no kudos whatsoever in winning a match, be it single or team, under the handicapping system, as the winner, in most cases have played below the handicap they have offered up.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 26th Jan 2008 20:58

Hi Steen, welcome to the site.

I don't think there is a conversion due to differences in the EGA and UK golf handicap system.  Initially your EGA handicap will be used as your exact UK handicap.

Chris, you are right the EGA uses parts of the US and UK CONGU systems notably SSS, slope and stableford points.  Thus allowing handicaps to be taken from course to course and be a true reflection which the USGA also allows.   Unfortunately in the UK the official golf handicap system is affiliated more to courses and with the lack of slope we are stuck at present.

John, I entirely agree.  Why we can't look to modernise the UK system so it becomes more balanced like the US and Europe, from the stats I've seen, I don't know. We have the CONGU system and then the EGU introducing another system which is different to CONGU but very similar to the US and EGA.

user9368
Reply : Sat 26th Jan 2008 21:19

Seems simple enough to  me. Play three rounds and get your shiny new handicap courtesy of Golfshake. Welcome to the UK

Col

Also just noticed that you broke 100 Darren and have a shiny new handicap of your own, well done. Lets hope this form is lost before the NvS.

Last edit : Sat 26th Jan 2008 21:20
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 26th Jan 2008 21:23

Yep, started my NvS training.  100 sit ups and press ups a day, 20 minutes stretching, weigths, running and 2 hours down the range  

Remember the handicap drops as well.  Just got 11 more rounds to get it back to 28 think that's about 1 a week. 

user52922
Reply : Sat 26th Jan 2008 23:56

Here in the UK you will get 15 shots on every course, just that in most cases, the Standard scratch, which your handicap is based on, will be lower than the par, so in effect you have to shoot lower than par to play to your handicap.

The SS system in this country is stupid and does not reflect the difficulty of a course in my opinion. More weight is given to the total length than any other consideration. 

Congratulations on your new handicap.

user23840
Reply : Sun 27th Jan 2008 08:19

Just out of interest Steen, how does your new handicao compare with your old one?

user52922
Reply : Sun 27th Jan 2008 17:55

Agreed, Chris, I have argued against this for many years now.

If they made a course of 18 par fives, the SSS would be off the clock and the majority of players would be scratch or plus.

The idea of par is that so many shots are required to reach the green and two putts allowed, this is what the Pros play to, they do not have to play to SSS. Because of the superior length the par fives usually turn into par fours for them, so they have an excellent chance of breaking par without even having to putt that well.

I am finding that any par four over 390 yds becomes a four and a half/five as I just cannot reach that distance with two shots now. Par fives take me at least four to get on, so pars are rare and I just have to play bogey golf.

If I could play off the 300 yard drives that keep being mentioned, I would be a scratch golfer again.

Last edit : Sun 27th Jan 2008 18:47
user106574
Reply : Sat 18th Apr 2009 14:02

Hey everyone, really got the Golf Fever going on. 

I live in the UK now but have a lot of rounds from the US and was looking for a website or a conversion for the S.S.S. and slope rating but after doing some research and reading this message thread I don't think there is a way to do it. 

It seems like my best option is to enter my UK scores on a website like this one and my non-UK scores on a website that asks for things like slope and rating.

Any advice or help would be great!

Thanks everyone!  Tee 'em up!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top