Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Choice of Captains for the North v South

Posted by: user40694 | Wed 16th Jan 2008 16:41 | Last Reply

It must be about time for Golfshake members to cast their vote for suitable candidates for this position.

My nominations are John Pettitt and Danny Brant 

re: Choice of Captains for the North v South
user24437
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 16:59

The big question is are you attending David?  If we are to revive the rivalry of our foursome then it would have to be Danny and Waynetta!

user9368
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 17:09

I would second both of Davids Nominations, Danny is currently the only defending champion of the southern team to be making a return visit and John knows more about golf than Peter Alliss. If either of them is up for the position then they will get my vote.

Last edit : Wed 16th Jan 2008 21:25
user23840
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 17:45

I'm not captain material. John P all the way.

What do mean you're not going Dave? 

user24437
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 17:59

!!!!!

user50354
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 19:12

Just my two penneth but maybe the Captains should be selected on the basis of:

a) Previous years attendantees

and

b) those staying overnight

Reason being previous years attendantees know what the crack is and the overnight stay gives the Captains more time to meet greet arrange the draw etc etc

Just my humble thought....

NWOT........

user52922
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 19:31

Sound thoughts, Robbie, not humble ones. It is obvious that any of those who attended last year will know how the event was staged.

In respect of meeting and greeting and then doing the draw, this also has its merits, but I feel that the Southern Captain should be picked from those attending the Southern competition at Donnington Grove as it is likely to have more competitors wishing to have a say in this.

user52922
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 20:34

Brilliant post, David, I haven't understood a word of it. Why are you not playing for the South, you are needed desperately. Come and stay with me and I will drive you up.

user9368
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 20:51

Theres an offer you cant refuse David.

It will also increase the pool of talent elligible for the captains slot by one.

The way i see it the captain just needs to be willing and able. An increase on last year when just willing was enough

Danny is definately able but appears not to be willing, i hope he will reconsider this.

John, you havnt declared yourself out so i assume you are willing and we are all confident in your ability. I think that having attending any previous Golfshake event should make you elligible, this will be covered by the southern cup if not already.

David, If you do decide to take up Johns kind offer you will of course be an excellent choice as the only other member of the southern team to win their match last year. You were also actively involved in the creation of this competition and helped with others to drive this idea from a throwaway comment in a random thread to what it is now & as John has said the team needs you.

Last edit : Wed 16th Jan 2008 20:53
user52922
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 20:55

Correct, Colin, we are having enough trouble raising a team as it is, without having our star player pulling out for the flimsiest of reasons. I say he should be there and would also make the ideal captain.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 21:17

John, staged ?  who have you been talking to ?

Looks like there is some Southern discussion, what about a Northern Captain ? any nominations ? 

user50843
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 21:24

It is a shame David can't make it, not only was I looking forward to meeting him and his girlfriend Danny (I know I will regret that) and reminding him of all the things he's written about kickin our arses but I am sure he must be gutted at not going,next time you tosser....

user21308
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 22:54

My vote...John P.

When the comments on these boards have reached there peak we will definitely need the tact and diplomacy. Experience and knowledge, of course, being humble in VICTORY!

Now we just need a full team for the South...

user23840
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 07:02

I can't make the sunday. I really don't think i could handle the pressure of being the captain. John P for me, all the way.

user50354
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 12:15

Yeah, come on...........

Your team needs ya...

NWOT......

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 16:43

I think I'm one of the closest to the North/South border, but I'm 100% North.  You can take the boy out of Yorshire but you can't etc etc.......  As for age, I'll ba a baby faced 35.  No really, I am that old.......

As for team captains, I think, like Robbie, it should be based on previous competitive attendance (and hopefully winning experience), respect of peers, knowledge, experience and Sunday attendance in that order of importance. 

John P for the South team is a no brainer for me.  Only wish he was playing for the North. 

user24437
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 16:59

Chris  - isn't the phrase you can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much?  I'm a spritely 50 year old who looks, er, 49.  Play golf like a 10 year old.

user23840
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 17:20

I thought a Yorkshire man was like a Scot, but with all the generosity squeezed out.

David is the furthest South. He has to come. I know David and myself won the only south game last year, but he did most of it on his own. David your region needs you. 

user52922
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 17:27

That's it, Danny, you tell him he has to attend.

Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 17:33

Just because we're careful doesn't make us tight you know.  I've even been known to offer to buy a round of drinks.  I did it while I was on my own in the toilet so no-one heard, but I did offer. 

And any comments about me being bad at golf because I'm trying to get as many shots as possible for my money are completely wide of the mark. 

user50354
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 19:50

Born North Riding of Yorkshire but some pillock with nowt better to do changed it to Teesside then Cleveland...

The white rose is in my heart..Strange how many places I have lived without moving..

But I work and play in County Durham...

My Yorkshire puddings are served up in true Yorkshire style - on thier own with gravy poured over them..

So I am a Northern Yorkshire guy with a 3 1/2 hour trip to the big event...

Maybe that's a possibilty for future events like say Northern Counties or Southern Counties - may help the logistics for members after a game..Then maybe the winners of both events meet up for a grand final half way between the winning Counties...But that's possibley for another day.

Till then see ya all in Grantham for a fun loving day out and a spot of golf...

NWOT.........

Last edit : Thu 17th Jan 2008 19:58
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2008 12:10

I think David and John would be a formidable partnership in terms of Cap and Vice, so we from the North need to do all we can to stop them

Hoping David gets the chance to come along.

Will send another email today to the entrants to try and get a North decision going and check again for room sharing.

Regards, Darren. 

user52922
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2008 12:13

Would it be possible to list those of us who have committed to either team, so that we all know the current position.

user26342
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2008 13:55

My vote also goes for Wayne for the North.

As he is playing in the Algarve pretty soon he'll look like a sun tanned Seve when he gets back !!!!!

John.

ps John P also a no brainer for the South (nobody would dare argue with him!)

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2008 14:23

Given he's really a southern if you hear him speak, and you can do from 30 miles away.  I'll go for the 'mouth of the south' or should it be the 'voice in the north'

Plus we can't let Rich play and tee of first again with a sky rocket that goes 200 yards in the air and 2 foot forward.  He's only just got over it after the stick and returned back to the site today!!    Can anyone remember anything about a dress ?

If we are having vice captains then I go for Robbie or Tim Hawkins ? 

user24437
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2008 15:31

I must say that volunteering myself as Northern captain is very tempting, after all it's probably the only surefire chance I'll ever have of lifting a golfing trophy.  Barring that then Waynetta must be a favourite to take up that particular honour.  Whatever happens, Wayne and I have got to be paired up and take on Danny and whatsisname. 

user50354
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2008 16:26

Wayne and Tim in no particular order for the Northern warriors...

But hey, I am happy to serve under any Captaincy and promise to do my best for Queen and territory....

NWOT............

Last edit : Fri 18th Jan 2008 16:27
user9368
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2008 19:54

Welcome bach Rich, good to see you again.

David, its decided then you are going?

user50354
Reply : Sat 19th Jan 2008 10:54

Was I seeing things in the excitement of the event....

Where did Davids post go (the one after mine).....

NWOT........................

Last edit : Sat 19th Jan 2008 10:56
user9368
Reply : Sat 19th Jan 2008 20:43

Dont worry Robert, i saw it too. Mind you however you would never find me saying such awful things about Wayne

user50354
Reply : Mon 21st Jan 2008 18:28

Cheers Colin...not going crazy or crazier after all....

So whose for joining "Wayne's Red Army On Tour"......

We are on the march with Waynes army

We are all going to Grantham

And we'll really shake em up

When we win the North v South cup (again)

Cause Northern are the greatest golfing team....

Oh give us a "W".............

WRAOT...................

Last edit : Tue 22nd Jan 2008 08:32
user52922
Reply : Fri 15th Feb 2008 18:01

Perhaps Darren would be kind enough to put up the names of all the players taking part in this match.

user39425
Reply : Fri 15th Feb 2008 18:45

Darren, Who was last years captain for the north,and who are the 5 longest members from the north.

user9368
Reply : Fri 15th Feb 2008 19:25

Last years North Captain was Richard Eadesford, top bloke, i think he's playing again this year

Last edit : Fri 15th Feb 2008 22:19
user9368
Reply : Fri 15th Feb 2008 22:20

Are this years captains confirmed yet?

user39425
Reply : Sat 16th Feb 2008 11:59

Colin, we looking for the 2, are you up for it? And what are you north ro south?

user9368
Reply : Sat 16th Feb 2008 12:25

I had the pleasure last year and there are far better candidates than myself for the south. I will happily captain the north this year if it secures a southern victory

I still put my vote in for Danny and Big Johny P for the south.

Not that its any of my business but surely Wayne would be the obvious choice for the North

Col

user48641
Reply : Sat 16th Feb 2008 13:37

i think its fair to say the best guys for the job for the south have been named (colin/danny/john - comon guys you gotta lead the fightback after last years pasting) - i think the northern team better start thinking tactics this year though - the south team aint gonna give you any chances this year !!

user50843
Reply : Sat 16th Feb 2008 22:18

Yes I think the gobbiest pair should be cap./vice cap. and that is, without doubt, Wayne and Robbie.

As far as tactics go, same as last years team, turn up.....

user39425
Reply : Sat 16th Feb 2008 22:30

I'll give Wayne my vote. Stopin' over Wayne, to give all the north a team talk and get a beer or 2 for the team.

user24437
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 12:10

And the advantage with Wayne doing the team talk is most of us wouldn't need to be in the same room!

user71987
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 17:52

Gents

I am happy to put myself forward to be the south team captain.

After all. Me an Wayne go years back! well one actually and I'd be happy to gloat at the end or storm off in a huff when i let myself down on the course.

si

user9368
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 18:21

Alps, as mentioned above i had the pleasure last year so would love to pass on the batton to a more worthy southerner this year. It looks like some individuals are  a bit backward in coming forward. Si has put himself forward (were not shy in Essex) so we at least have someone willing to take on the challenge now. Si and Danny would make a formidable captain and vice captain if maybe a little challenged in the hair dept. They are massive hitters, im sure one of them won the longest drive last year.

user39425
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 18:26

come on wayne, R U up to be our leader.

user71987
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 18:43

yeah "dwayne"

just imagine the abuse we can throw at eachother!

user39425
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 18:49

Come on wayne, simons takin' the D out of you. We can't have that for our new captain. Or is that our they talk in de souf', Simin.

user71987
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 18:54

I'm a cockney don't you know (said in a very posh accent)!

and its not souf, the correct spelling and pronounciation is SARF

user52922
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 18:56

As the South has a competition at Donnington Grove on the 3rd March, I feel that would be a good time for those attending, who are playing for the South Team, to get together, to discuss and decide amongst themselves who they would like to represent them as Captain for this year. It is a responsible job, as the South team badly needs direction if it is to reverse last years result.

user71987
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 18:59

I would ove to be there but alas that weekend is a very good mates wedding so cannot attend

user9368
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 19:17

John, it appears that there are some secret northerners trying to pass themselves off as southerners at the southern cup. Those pesky northerners get everywhere. Perhaps this comp will not be the best place to discuss and decide who will represent the south afterall.

If you want to identify who they are, they'll be the ones in flat caps, smelling of pigeons and calling everyone lad or pet. They'll probably be sporting some huge sideburns and a comb over aswell.

Darren can you put up a vote function on this thread for members to put themselves forward and for others to vote.

Besides lifting the trophy what will the southern captain have as his duties, in fact what duties will a northern captain have at all

user52922
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 19:24

Please don't tell me, Colin, that we have Northern infiltrators down here pot hunting off their false handicaps.

May I suggest that Darren puts up a poll of all the Southern participants in the Match and let us vote on whom we want. He with most votes gets to become the Captain of our side.

user9368
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 19:29

Sounds like a plan

Darren , can this be done?

user39425
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 19:34

Colin, your right. I wasn't there last year but i gather you need some northern steel to help you S.S. along. Like t' chat more but I've got t' grab cap an' tek' whipet for walk, grab me sen' a brown ale and pork pie, finish off wi a game o' domis'.

Last edit : Sun 17th Feb 2008 19:53
user9368
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 19:45

Just out of interest who has not ruled themselves out of the running

I think Wayne & Robbie are the only candidates nominated so far for the North

The south so far has been Johny P, Simon O & Danny although he has previoulsy ruled himself out.

First we need to establish who will be happy to take the position, then we can vote

Col

Last edit : Sun 17th Feb 2008 20:09
user50843
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 21:38

Northern captain will have a very easy job, I think, no need to spy on the cocky south, main job will be writing a good acceptance speech....

user50354
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2008 08:53

Humbled at being nominate as a potential candidate for the appointment supreme..

However, I think it may be better suited to an attendee at the previous North v South event who is also staying over on the Saturday night .

Someone (like myself) who is arriving on the morning of the competition half a sleep and hungry may not be suitable for such a prestigious position..

Plus, I am rather clumbsy and would hate to drop the trophy during the presentation.

And Wayne is a far better dresser than me...

NWOT........

user71987
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 13:06

As far as I am aware there are about 20 of us staying up there on the Sunday night.

Well done Wayne all the best to you mate.

user9368
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 13:08

Well done Wayne, best man for the job an all.

Now all we have to do is find someone big enough and ugly enough to take you on, i think youll find we have some exceptional candidates for the job

Cmon Southerners put your votes in for one of the existing or another candidate so we can get this show on the road.

user39425
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 17:57

About time wayne, you have my vote, and theres 6 of use stopping over sunday night. some good fun, whats  the crack about the game on sunday????????????????????? Darren.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 18:14

Up to you lot.  Sunday's just a free game and not a golfshake.com event so we could try and organise a bit of friendly competitive fun on the Sunday, any thoughts ?

Not sure if I am staying over although will still play on the Sunday.

On the Sunday tees are provisional booked from 12:00 to 12:56 for golfshakers

Will be posting teams etc very soon, as suggested by JP and others. 

user48641
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 20:12

looks like the north team will be getting in all the practice they can prior to monday !! lol   ooops did i say that out loud !!

user9368
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 20:29

is there a list of Overnighters?

Col

user39425
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 20:37

Don't worry Alps, there are 2 lads from the south to check it out and may be keep an eye on us. Got your captain yet, or can't you find any body who doesn’t like losing!!  

Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 21:05

I can officially announce that I have booked my overnight stay and will be joining the Northern team advance carve up of the course on Sunday.  As always I will be on best behaviour as the little lady will be coming with me.  I'm up for a friendly comp Sunday as well. 

The positive thing about Wayne being captain is everyone will still hear the team talk on Sunday whether they stop over or not........

user48641
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 21:06

Graham, for the record the south team are actually struggling to nominate a captain because of the sheer quality of players we have...........you have to understand that its not gonna be an easy job for our captain to have to console your northern captain Wayne after our victory    

user9368
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 22:21

Too true Alps, too true

user71987
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 08:56

up to you Guys but my offer of Captaincy still stands. are there any others that are offering their services?

user9368
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 13:20

Too my knowledge Only John has not ruled himself out of the running but he has not accepted the post either.

You can have my vote mate as the your first person willing to take the challenge and because you look like you could be Waynes son which ammuses me.

Also worth mentioning you attended last years event and took home a few trophies so why not.

Its not my choice though and as Alps said above the quality of candidates is strong so it'll just come down to people having and expressing an opinion on this forum, anybody else willing to back Simons bid for the top job or perhaps nominate someone else for the role? Anybody else willing to offer themselves as willing to take the role?

user52922
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 14:59

Captains are nominated and then selected in some form or another, otherwise it makes a mockery of the title in the first place and will not appeal to other members of the team.

As few of us know anyone else participating in this match then it is difficult to form an opinion as to who would be a good choice to fulfill the duties of captain, this was why I suggested that those taking part in the Southern Cup could represent the rest of the team in naming a Captain for the Match.

user9368
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 17:28

John, Im afraid im gonna have to incur your wrath and agree to disagree. This is if im correct an internet based society making a decision about a essentially fun based event. The true calibre of the applicants, their ability to make speeches, play outstanding golf etc, really dosnt matter too much considering that most of the usuall duties will be organised by the golfshake staff. Surely a charasmatic individual with a solid game and the willingness to take and more importantly enjoy the role is all thats really required (just like the norths captain, no offence Wayne) 

There are many suitable candidates based on both teams but only one is required and i dont think we need to go to such great lengths to decide this.

This is just my opinion only and i do respect yours, i would just like to know what the opinion of others is.

When all is said and done all three of the potential candidates are more than capable of performing the role and i will happily stand behind any one of them as whoever it is will be leading the south team to conclusive victory in April.

user71987
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 18:21

anyone remember last years event?

yes thats right, it was fun! there was no money on it, and to my knowledge the hopes and dreams of a nation did not rest on the outcome.

can we keep it that way??

Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 18:35

If we're playing for anything other than fun, half of the people would drop out.  Golf should be played for enjoyment (something we are all guilty of forgetting occaisionally) and friendly rivalry or competition should ony add to that. 

If we're playing for anything more than 12 months of bragging rights, and maybe losing pair buys the first round, then we're taking it too seriously.  And with my game, I can't afford to do that!

user9368
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 19:43

Losing pairs get the drinks in is a nice touch Chris, Ill take this bet and will happily accept the drink

As for bragging rights, i must admit that last years winners have been very gracious in victory and i promise to remember this and offer the same courteousy for the next 12 months  

user52922
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 19:48

Being relatively new to this forum, but having read every post made, I assumed that this match was pretty serious judging by the non-stop flaming from the North about this match.

Personally I have always been a competitive player and played in many matches from Club matches to county matches and believe me, I always want to be on the winning side, and anyone who attempts to tell me otherwise is not telling the truth.

It is obvious I am not on the same planet as the majority of you and will support whoever you decide upon to lead us in our quest to beat the North in the forthcoming match.

As I appeared to have brought down the wrath of my fellow southerners I would like to remove myself from the possibility of being captain for this event. May I suggest that Simon takes on the job that he has offered to do.

The match will be played in the spirit that it was intended but it is still serious.

user9368
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 20:17

John, You are very fortunate in that your ability and knowledge (through determination and effort i dare say) have helped you into many very serious and prestigious events in your well establised golfing era. I would imagine that in time golfshake will host its very own events along this line, and i hope i will have the chance to attend some of them. For now though the format seems to focus on the social and fun side of the sport. Currently picking teams for the event is out of the question as this is decided on the first come first served basis therefore taking away any real tactical decision that a captain could make. For now whoever it is will have to settle for rousing the troops and hopefully lifting the trophy.

Your values mentioned above are not out of place and you certainly have not to my knowledge brought down the wrath of any of your fellow team mates. You are clearly widely respected on this forum.

My only point was that i felt this decision could be made adequately based on the limited contact golfshake members have and forum persona's if not. You should not withdraw from the running for this reason & i would still like to take you up on the offer of a game on the preceding Sunday.

May the best man win

Colin

user52922
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 20:24

The offer of the game I made some time ago was never in any doubt, Colin. I have also made an arrangement with David Marshall to share a buggy with him. I may be an old fart but I have an excellent memory and never forget any arrangment I have made.

I believe we have starting times around mid-day so will be there and I am also staying overnight ready for the competition on the Monday, even though the course is local to me. It is an excellent course and will provide a stern challenge to all of us.

Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 20:36

What time are you playing on Sunday John?  I have a 12:26 and any hints or advice you can give me before or after would be greatly appreciated (either boefore or after the round) if you can spare me the time. 

user9368
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 20:53

We will be there for midday john, we just may have to get up sometime earlier than you so go easy on us. A round with David, i guess ill just have to grin and bear it

Joking aside dave and I have been talking about a round together for quite some time

Ill look forward to it

Col

user52922
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 21:00

I think I am getting confused, so to clarify, I have starting time on the Sunday 2nd March at Donnington Grove with David Marshall at 1300 hrs and a 1226 starting time at Belton Woods on the Sunday 13th April with only myself at the moment. I believe David is not playing for the South this year, mores the pity.

user9368
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 21:04

I hadnt spotted that one, Even though i knew David isnt playing (mores the pity) Whoever makes up the 4 ball is fine with me John ill leave that up to you as you're in greater demand than me.

Colin

Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 21:43

John, I've also been allocated a 12:26 at Belton Woods on Sunday 13th.  Looks like I have hit the jackpot!

user52922
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 21:44

Then we play together, Chris, look forward to it.

user9368
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 21:55

Spooky as this may sound but myself and Si have beeb allocated the 12:26 also. This game was clearly meant to be unless of course everybody has this time.

Did anybody get a different time?

user9368
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 22:13

Its the lakes which for me is bob on, ill need the advantage gained if any

Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 22:15

We're playing Lakes, although I'm sure if we asked nicely they would allow us to play Woodside instead.  I plan to use it as a reccie and an opportunity to hide some strategic "found it" balls in preparation for the following day.......

Here's a clip from my confirmation mail: -

ItineraryGolfers (1 persons)

Guests:Mr Chris PerrySun 13 Apr 2008

• At 12:26 18 holes on Lakes

user9368
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 22:19

Golfers (2 persons)Guests:Mr Colin Astbury, Mr Simon OverlandSun 13 Apr 2008

• At 12:26 18 holes on Lakes

user39425
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 22:25

How do you no about sunday 13th / 14th draw ?

user9368
Reply : Wed 20th Feb 2008 22:28

On the receipt from golfbreaks as we booked the overnighter. I dont think the draw for the 14th is finalised. This will come from Darren, Wayne and whoever finally becomes the southern captain i guess as it did last year.

Col

user24437
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 00:04

Blimey, it's going to be crowded at 12.26 on the first tee isn't it?  I seem to remember (although I can't find where) I might be able to join John and David in a four, but hey, I'll play with anyone if they'll have me. I'm planning to get down around 11.30 ish so I'll see you all before hand to do a bit of group sorting.  May even have to indulge in a few beers afterwards.  

user9368
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 21:07

This is like trying to get blood out of a stone, this thread has stalled again. Perhaps Jonny P is right and it should be decided at the next meet, or perhaps on the preceeding Sunday to the main comp. Wayne looks like youll get longer than our captian to prepare your losers speech

Col

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 22:05

I'll double check about tee times for Sunday.  Not sure if I am staying over but am planning on playing on the Sunday

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 22:07

Hope the formats stays for this.  This is the registered teams, the * denotes those playing in the Southern Cup on the 3rd March .

South   North   alps patel   Andy Edwards   Andy Kingston   Andy Strudwick   Bob Stanley * Chris Perry   Chris Tweed   Christopher Watmore Colin Astbury   Darren Ramowski * Danny Brant   Graham Tweed * Danny James * Harry Irving * darren hall   james holden   darren mace   john flood   david allchorne * kevin shearsby * glenn curwood   kevin swain   Gurpal Rai   Kieran Stephenson   John Pettitt * lorna nichols * John Standing   Mark Sobey   Kam Bains   Martin Millichip * mark harrison   paul cook   Mark Taylor   Paul Morrisroe   Martin Smedley   Pete Jones-Hall   neil hesketh   Peter Deeming   neil minton   peter Ramowski   Nick Trehearne   Peter Wilson   Paul Milward   Phil Eadsforth * Paul Simpson   Richard Eadsforth   paul smith   Robbie Allison   Shaun Leah   Stephen Chapman   Simon Bottery   Stephen Ridge   Simon Overland   Tim Hawkins * Stephen Ridge   Tim Stretton   Terry Bagshaw   tony dunn   Tony Davis   Wayne Santorini  

List can be found here for each team

NvS - South team

NvS - North team  

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 22:15

Also just picking up on Grahams question about draws.

Sunday 13th, this should be allocated by golfbreaks/the venue and tee times are booked from 12:26. I double check this in terms of each individuals allocation.

Monday 14th, last year I/Captains basically picked pairs based on requests or what we felt would work and then also did the draw again based on requests and part random part fairness. 

For example David Marshall and Wayne Santonrini now have a well established friendship after being at logger heads before last years event and wanting to compete against each other.  Shame Wayne won't get the chance get some pride back against David 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 22:19

Sorry, once the Southern Cup is out of the way I will fire off some PM's to check for peoples preference in terms of playing partners etc.

Also if people are interested then we can have a small competition on Sunday for fun.  Monday is the serious business.

Anyone want to partner with me for the North ?  will make sure I get my handicap back to 28 before then    although have another round to post which will see it drop which is great.  Who wants to be a bandit surely we all strive for the lowest possible handicap.

user9368
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 22:22

Darren if you remember we also tried to level the pairs and opponents to keep the games even so that noboddy was giving away too many shots. Emphasis on enjoyment. As much as i'd like to have another shot at yourself and Rich dazza, Perhaps this years captains might want to play more tactically than previously although i'd imagine that pairings are going to be requested in advance again.  

BTW could you highlight those that are staying over in your list above.

Last edit : Thu 21st Feb 2008 22:23
user9368
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 22:34

3/4 Handicap i think Chris

user9368
Reply : Thu 21st Feb 2008 22:43

Thats the spirit positive thinking, Hopefully Darrens off 12 too

user11501
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 00:31

Guys,

The way we play our club freindly games, the handicapping is as follows:-

Player 1 - Hcp 11

Player 2 - Hcp 5

Player 3 - Hcp 18

Player 4 - Hcp 13

The lowest hcp player plays of scratch ie player 2 then the other players take 3/4 of the difference between the handicaps ie player 1 plays off hcp 5 (3/4 of 11-5), player 3 plays off 10 (3/4 of 18-5) etc

How does this sound to everyone ? I think this works really well in all the club matches we play

Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 09:00

Just a thought, but is it possible to get the combined handicap of opposing pairs the same.  For example, North team has players on 13 and 26 (total 39) playing against South team payers on 17 and 22 (total 39).  This, in theory, will make the opposing pairs evenly matched and make for a closer game. 

Or do we let Wayne and John(?) play tactically, or do a random draw once the pairs are agreed. 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 09:17

martin, yes we did that exact same thing last year and the plan is to do the same this year.

I will send further details next month

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 09:37

picking up on the sunday tee time query.

The tee times that are booked are 12:02 - 12:58.

next week myself/luke (editor) will sort this out. it's informal so anyone can play with who they want. i'll fire an email next week just to found out if anyones got any preference to tee time or playing partner.

regards, darren

user926 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 10:11

Daz,

I'll be prizing the trophy away from my brothers house this weekend for you. His wife will be chuffed! she's been trying to get rid of it for months to make space for more vases! He houses it on the highest shelf so she can't reach it by herself.

I hope the winning captain will take care of it

Last edit : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 10:12
user24437
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 10:59

Just post it directly to Wayne, Phil.  No point in needlessly carting it around the country.

user9368
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 19:48

Only fair i suppose that Wayne enjoys it for a few weeks ebfore handing it over cap in hand to our illustrious leader on Monday 14th

user48641
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 20:41

Wayne - make sure you shine it up for us un all !!

user11501
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 20:55

Alright boys. Enough is enough. All the talk from the south is about winning. Getting a bit to confident if you ask me.

I hope they also think about losing because that will be the ultimate result.

Up the North !!!!!!!!!!!!!

user52922
Reply : Fri 22nd Feb 2008 21:08

Now who is bragging.

user52922
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2008 10:33

A very poor show from the South team with only four players attending the Southern Cup when the North are sending down eight players. Well done to you chaps in the North.

user9368
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2008 10:53

Agreed John, If it had been a Sunday i wouldve been there myself. Unfortunately working is a nescesary evil in my life

Col

user9368
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2008 21:44

There all wanabe southerners clearly, just yearning for a taste of the high life away from t'mill and t'social club. There will be Sideburns a plenty at next weeks comp for sure

user39425
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2008 23:02

I've had to pull out. I thought i'd give one of you S S a chance to win somethin', seems you'll be cryin' all the way back souf' come N v S day. Small chance, up t north.

user52922
Reply : Sat 23rd Feb 2008 23:35

If one cannot put up, then it is best to shut up.

user39425
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2008 21:48

John, see you at the N v S.

user9368
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2008 21:54

Best luck to all of you next week, may the best southerner win

user52922
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2008 23:09

Graham, look forward to it.

user52922
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2008 23:22

This is a course that will test the best of us.

user24437
Reply : Sun 24th Feb 2008 23:49

Has anyone got a course map or something for it, it doesn't show up on their website for me.

user9368
Reply : Mon 25th Feb 2008 21:52
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 25th Feb 2008 21:56

Who added that clubhouse icon?

user9368
Reply : Mon 25th Feb 2008 22:02

Ahem

user24437
Reply : Mon 25th Feb 2008 22:02

Bless him, sad deluded person, whoever it was (Colin).

I meant a course map, not an aerial view.

user9368
Reply : Tue 26th Feb 2008 20:25

(Back to the top)

Cmon Southerners put yourself forward or vote for one of the above mentioned candidates who is going to lead our team to certain victory.

user9368
Reply : Tue 26th Feb 2008 21:43

Which Darren??

user52922
Reply : Tue 26th Feb 2008 22:30

Why don't you be the non playing Captain seeing as you have decided not to play this year, David.

user9368
Reply : Tue 26th Feb 2008 22:59

How about Simon takes the duties on the day with David winding the opposition up in advance.

David could be Simons fluffer

Last edit : Wed 27th Feb 2008 00:05
user9368
Reply : Wed 27th Feb 2008 00:08

how do i put this?

Someone employed to get people in the mood before the star of the show takes over for the main duties.

Thats the best way i could described it

user9368
Reply : Wed 27th Feb 2008 00:14

user9368
Reply : Tue 11th Mar 2008 22:08

Just over a month to go and we still dont appear to have selected a captain for the South. Perhaps well have to steal the north's captain and force him to embrace the southerner within

user9368
Reply : Tue 11th Mar 2008 22:34

Is that the final answer then Dave?

Has anybody told him?

Last edit : Tue 11th Mar 2008 22:45
user9368
Reply : Tue 11th Mar 2008 22:50

Thanks for reminding me Dave

I have absolute confidence that Simon will totally outshine last years captain. Youll be able to see the glare off his bonce from the back 4ball

Go on Si your country expects (the civilised half anyway)

Last edit : Tue 11th Mar 2008 22:53
user71987
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 08:12

well if everyone is happy i will gladly do it.

can i have a few "Aye's"!

then i can get down to the business of e-mailing all the attendees to find out playing partner prefferences or if we are going to do tactical picks.

please let me know gents

user24437
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 08:57

I officially propose that Wayne be elected Northern captain, any seconders?

user926 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 09:46

I'll second Wayne and his ability to pick up the trophy for the north. Well done wayne.

Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 09:56

I'll third Wayne.  He deserves to suffer. 

As for Simon, I'll give an "Aye.......

......don't care who the losing captain will be!!!"

user48641
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 10:42

AYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE   from me simon !!  go get em tiger !!!

user52922
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 11:13

Simon gets my vote and full support.

user9368
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 13:18

Aye Aye captain

Make sure you do better than Richards attempt on the first in 2007, you might be our captain but ill still make you wear a dress in the clubhouse if you dont get past the ladies tees

Best man for the job

Last edit : Wed 12th Mar 2008 13:23
user71987
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 15:16

Same goes for All the southern competitors.

Darren, Can you provide me with a list of the southern team please?

user24437
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 15:33

They're on the ropes already Wayne, the captain has no idea of his team!

user71987
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 15:47

Same goes for All the southern competitors.

Darren, Can you provide me with a list of the southern team please?

user71987
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 16:30

oh very amusing!

i wanted to make sure i had the definative list so as not to miss anyone off the list. just trying to be professional!

so there!

user50354
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 16:57

You tell him Simon...

Stutter in deed....Bet there is no stutter with your after match "You did me proud despite defeat guys" speach...

Before handing the mike to Captain Victorious Wayne....

NWOT......

Last edit : Wed 12th Mar 2008 16:58
user71987
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 17:27

we shall see.

i am not going to get myself drawn into this as may end up making myself look a total pratt!

i know i'm leaving myself open with this response.

David, stop being an honary Northerner!

user71987
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 17:48

taking the mickey about m m m m my stutter!

user9368
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2008 18:13

Wait till he see's your big nose and comedy eyebrows

user48641
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 11:02

Blimey !! its all happnin here now !!  what colours are we suppose to be wearing again for the event ? seen something mentioned somewhere cant seem to find it now ?!?!

user50354
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 12:36

North - topless

South - pink

NWOT.....

user9368
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 13:03

Wayne Youre right, far too much effort has gone into defending his best dress trophy this year. I think hes even gonna pint his toe nails

To think that all it took last year was an ill fitting and clashing polo shirt , belt combo. This year the bar is gonna be raised so high that anything less than a bespoke carbon fibre skin suit just aint gonna cut the mustard.

At least its not just about the golf and not wanting to exclude anybody could we have a worst dressed award, a furthest from the pin and a shortest drive award just for fun

Last edit : Thu 13th Mar 2008 13:21
user9368
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 13:22

Furthest from the pin is do-able from where you are Dave, although i might be able to beat it if i play to current form

Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 14:22

We have a "Nearest the green" competition on a Sunday morning.  Usually a very open competitiion as there's no way of telling who'd be the least bad. 

user71987
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 14:28

I have to admit that i may have gone overboard this year!

we also have a nearest the "green" trophy. actually its nearest the pin but out of 12 members with 12 monthly comps it was only won 3 times last year. and not by me i might add.

user9368
Reply : Thu 13th Mar 2008 23:10

Robbie Allison

Handicap : 18.9

North - topless

South - pink

NWOT.....

Northies Cold weather :- flat caps and donkey jackets

Northies Warm weather :- String vests, knotted hankies, socks & sandals

Im sure someone will enlighten me as to the southern dress code

user50354
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 08:26

Originally Darren had us:

Red - North

Blue - South

But Orange would be fine with me..

Or Colins suggestion would be good...

NWOT.....

Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 08:31

Whatever you pick, Chris Watmore will use it as an excuse to go and buy some new Ping gear

user50354
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 08:37

Lets sort it soon though or I may need to go late night shopping and donkey jackets are in short supply this time of year up here..

NWOT....

Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 09:06

Typical.  Red is about the only colour I don't have.  Looks like an excuse to get a new golf top and I can't get into trouble. 

Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 10:08

Not a requirement Wayne I know, but a good excuse to get rid of a couple of old and tatty ones without getting into the "you spending money on golf stuff again?" debate.

user71987
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 12:13

Red for the south as its warmer down here and blue for you cold northereners.

and iv'e gone with red anyway.

user50354
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 12:19

Too late my dear Captain....

Already told wife I need new golf clothes because "Captain Wayne said"...

NWOT....

user50354
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 12:33

If the south are red and the north are blue will it be

Light blue

Dark blue

Royal blue

Any other blue..

Maybe the North could go with Black or White...

NWOT.....

Last edit : Fri 14th Mar 2008 12:33
user50354
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 14:25

Not realising that the colours would change from those Darren proposed mine and Tony Dunn's red tops have arrived....

What now...

NWOT....

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 14:27

I don't think I need colour codes to be able to recognise my opponents.

user52922
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 15:02

I never said that, Wayne. lol.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 16:34

Just to let you know I've now merged the 2 competitions and created a new competition with all competitors feel free to check out the new message board to get some pre match banter going ! 

Also looking for some additional Southern team players 

North vs South 2008

user71987
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 17:17

i have red stuff anyway. So i shall wear it as a show of support to the North team to prove that i am very sportsman like

user50843
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 22:05

Yes Rob they are here but they are, er salmon-ish (better bring one on Sunday for your approval) but on the plus side they are xl so you will get you're broad shoulders and large biceps in... 

user50354
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2008 13:06

I can't wait mate. Could this be the beginning of something special....

NWOT........

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top