Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Tunisia

Posted by: user75236 | Tue 15th Jan 2008 16:17 | Last Reply

Has anyone been on a golfing holiday to Tunisia, and if so what's it like? I was thinking of going there this year, then someone at work who went recently said they hated it and would never go again (albeit they didn't go on a golf holiday). So now I'm in two minds...

re: Tunisia
user52922
Reply : Tue 15th Jan 2008 19:30

I have played there and stayed at Le Royal Hammamet Hotel which is set right on the beach and is five star. The golf is excellent, especially Golf Citrus, which has two courses and a nine hole.

Some people are never satisfied but Tunisia offers the cheapest golf around IMO.

Another excellent holiday course can be found on Corfu, in the Ropa Valley. They hold many competitive weeks throughout the season and the course boasts the best greens in the mediterranean. I used to go every year in the seventies to play in the Corfu Amateur Championships, which are held in May every year.

If you are going in the spring or Summer then why not consider the two excellent courses in the Czech Republic at Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad) and Marianske Lazne (Marienbad), Both these small Spa towns have wonderful architecture and each boasts a fantastic golf course which have been established since the turn of the last century. Similar to the Surrey and Berkshire courses. Excellent food, beer and hospitality at a price long forgotten.

Last edit : Tue 15th Jan 2008 23:31
user9368
Reply : Tue 15th Jan 2008 22:45

John, your golf knowledge is vast. You are credit to the site.

Have you thought about writing a weekly or monthly blog about courses, techniques, tips etc.

user52922
Reply : Tue 15th Jan 2008 23:42

After fifty five years at the game, Colin A, I should hope that I have learned something.

I don't have a flair for writing but I can talk for hours about the game when in company.

Techniques are forever changing in this modern world, none moreso than in golf, what with all this advanced technology. I cannot believe that I used to score in the sixties with the equipment of fifty years ago.

I love to see proper golf shots and once a player can execute a proper shot most of the time then he will find that the game is relatively easy. The problem is that most players are easily satisfied just to see the ball go forward and do not worry if the flight is not as it was intended, if ever there was any intended flight pattern.

I visit the driving range on occasion, to swing my wedge and all I see are players belting hell out of the ball  and honing a swing that will never ever produce a consistent score.

I cannot play this game anymore because my body is not capable of doing what my brain is telling it, and I really only bother, to try and keep reasonably fit.

user23840
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 08:21

I think you write well John.

The site wouldn't need war and peace, just some good tips and advice, with a bit of golf travel info thrown in. 

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 09:05

I always take the time to read your comments John.  I find there's always a helpful little nugget in there somewhere and half of the time you don't even realise you're putting it in.  I for one would subscribe to a weekly/monthly submittal of "Too old to play, too young to forget how to" or whatever else you would care to call your blog.  Those higher handicapped and new to the game would find it invaluable. 

Have you considered doing a 'golf clinic' at any of the Golfshake get togethers?  There must be a waiting list to play a round with you and your knowledge could help a lot of people.  I can see the queue of people outside Doctor John's driving range bay, clutching their most troublesome club to their chest, eagerly awaiting their five minutes. 

user52922
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 12:37

You are too kind, Chris.

This game of ours can be over theorised to such an extent that it just becomes a jumble, when in actual fact the correct swing is so simple that it beggars belief that we all struggle to be able to produce it.

Any method, on occasion, will hit a good shot, but only a correct method will consistently do so and after all it is consistency we all strive for.

When you put your car into a garage because it has a fault, you expect them to diagnose the fault correctly and it is the same with golf, correct diagnoses of the players reason for particular flight patterns is essential, otherwise, what happens, a fault is given to correct a fault and the long term benefit of this is obvious. There isn't any, the player just reverts to his original swing.

I prefer to work with a player who can absorb what I am saying over a period of a few games as usually it is not only one fault that needs correcting and IMO it is best that changes are made one at a time.

Of the players that I have played with on here, there is not one, that I know I could not improve. I only wish I could do it myself, but the body is shot to pieces I'm afraid.

Last edit : Wed 16th Jan 2008 13:46
user9368
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 13:27

I agree with Danny, you do have a flair for writing about golf . It looks like i am late in realising this, there are many more members who have been making a point of reading your posts long before i cottoned onto them.

I am glad that i have secured some of your time prior to the NvS as it looks like you are in great demand.

user52922
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 13:52

Hi Colin, your handicap suggests that you are a pretty good striker of the ball as you are playing near enough bogey golf, and that is good.

Looking forward to meeting you all at the match, which I am sure will be a good one, assuming we, in the South manage to get a team together.

user80078
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 22:56

I visited Tunisia some years back (1995) and although the golf was good, I did not enjoy the other aspects of the trip ( food, accomodation, security . I would much prefer to be in Spain or Portugal. We stayed at Port ElKantoui ( I think that's close to the spelling ) and played El kantoui and Palm Links.

user52922
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 23:19

I am quite sure most of us would rather be in Spain or Portugal, Michael, but the green fees have gone through the roof.

I was at Morgado, near Portimao having a round and I spoke to an English couple there and they told me that they lived in a villa on Pestana, but were having to put it on the market for £600,000 as the golf had become too expensive and they now paid green fees at Morgado, which is still relatively cheap when compared to the others around. I might add that the course is well worth a visit.

user68876
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2008 09:13

Sorry if this information is sketchy but I golfed in Tunisia in the mid 90s also and can honestly say the glfing was excellent.  Great value for money and the courses were in great condition - I have some wonderful photos!

The course names evade me put having read the other posts, I'm pretty sure we played Citrus amongst others.

As others have said, other aspects of the holiday you can take or leave.  The beach was great, unbelievable weather but our accommodation was average (including food). However, we met some great people as is often the case.

I wouldn't take the kids, though...!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top