Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Magnolia Course Orlando

Posted by: user16742 | Tue 15th Jan 2008 12:01 | Last Reply

Has anyone played here?

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdwi/en_GB/moreMagic/golfDetail?id=MagnoliaGolfPage_en_GB 

Going over there in august, what you think they will be like as I will be on my own?

re: Magnolia Course Orlando
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 15th Jan 2008 12:52

Played it in June last year, also on my own.  My avatar is of me on the 8th(?) tee.  Great course, need to think your way round or you'll be caught out.  Took a 102 and was over the moon with it.  Obviously it's in great condition and the greens are very fast and true with breaks so subtle you need to view from more than one angle or you won't see it.  Well positioned bunkers and water so play safe or take lots of balls (your choice which!).  Don't take you driver off the first tee as there's a large lake on your left followed by a wood and a brook meandering the length of the hole on your right.  One of the par three's (7th I think) has the famous Mickey Mouse head bunker right in front of the green.  Watch out for the wild turkeys, deer and armadiloes!!!

Can I suggest that you play after 3:00pm if you can as the green fees dropped from $150 to $35.  The weather is also cooling and you'll still have plenty of time to get round.  They will probably ask you to join up with another group (I made up a two ball with a guy from Bristol) but the locals are friendly. 

If you have the chance, play here -> http://www.ocngolf.com/layout9.asp?id=322&page=23478.  Orange County National is better than Magnolia and part of the USPGA qualifying tour.  I played Panther Lake; by far the best golf course I have ever played and quite reasonably priced too.  Book through your hotel as they have offers on - I got 40% off, free hat and free Nike glove.  Bout a 40 minute drive from Orlando, but if ever I'm back in the area I will make every effort to get back there.  Took a birdie on the SI1 7th as well with a 25 foot putt (I'll never do that again!). 

One final word - on either course, if your ball goes into long stuff take drop cos that's where the gators and rattlesnakes live!  Enjoy it and make the most of the cheap gear while you're out there!

Last edit : Tue 15th Jan 2008 13:05
Reply : Tue 15th Jan 2008 13:50

My missus came round in the cart with me and they were fine about it.  Be careful if you let her drive as mine got a bit carried away and nearly rolled it!  PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the photos she took while we were going round Magnolia. 

Dress code is standard at both - shirt with a collar (polo shirts are fine and usual), tailored shorts, must wear socks (although trainer socks are acceptable).  They won't allow football ('sports' shirts and if your clothing is tatty they will make you change.  Buy beforehand as the pro shop is pricey.  The designer outlets all have sports shops on (Nike, Adidas, Reebok) so you can get stuff from there.  The Reebok shops do Greg Norman.  I strongly recommend a hat. 

Long stuff in Florida isn't too bad but not worth the risk as there's a fair amount of water at the courses you're playing.  I could tell you some tales about going slighly off course in Arizona and Southern California!!!

I took my own clubs with me as I feel they're a personal thing that you get comfortable with.  Carriage was only £10 return with the airline though some don't charge.  Must admit I came back with more clubs than I went with.......

Slightly off subject, if it's your honeymoon, take her to Discovery Cove.  You get to play and swim with the dolphins.  I took Jo for her birthday (and my mum who was with us) and they both cried when the dolphin came over to them.  We got Capricorn, the 'director of the breeding program' and the dolphin out of Jaws 3!!!  I recommend "Trainer for a Day" if you can manage it.  If you're coming to the North v South she'll tell you all about it as she's coming along. 

Last edit : Tue 15th Jan 2008 13:53
Reply : Tue 15th Jan 2008 15:00

I put a ball neat to a low growing cactus that was about six feet across just off the fairway at a course between LA and San Diego.  There had been jack rabbits everywhere but I sub-conciously noticed that there weren't any about.  I took my shot back onto the fairway and the whole cactus started quivering.  "Hmm, that's weird" I thought and wandered off.  Apperently I'd woken up a grumpy rattlesnake (who proceeded to wander off in the opposite direction 10 seconds after I left) and the quivering cactus was him getting into a position to "advise" me of how annoyed he was at having his afternoon nap disturbed.  Same course has a sign in the middle of the 7th fairway which reads "Warning: Rattlesnakes crossing".  Fortunately I'm not bothered abvout snakes as I breed them. 

I got charged for taking Jo round with me at Orange County, but it was only $10.  Just turn up with her in tow, pead ignorance and ask nicely. 

user50354
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 08:59

Matt,

handicap 36.4 mate....

NWOT...........

Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 11:08

Eldrick,

Where are you based in the US?  I expect to be over there several times this year on business and will probably have a couple of weekends there.  I can see if I can plan my travel to be in your local area for a weekend as it's normally fairly flexible when I visit each place. 

I usually visit New York/Jersey, Dayton OH, Cincinatti, LA/Orange County, Rockford IL, Grand Rapids MI, Yakima WA.  I also plan to visit Oaklahoma and Dallas this year. 

user23840
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 14:43

You do all realise its a wind up? or am i being to thick to spot your sarcasm?

Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 15:00

And I really am going to all those places in the US this year.  I'm going to Canada as well but didn't mention it as he lives in the US. 

user23840
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 15:21

No, I mean thinking that's actually Tiger Woods. which you probably both wanted me to say. Now I feel very silly.

Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 15:23

What, so it's not him?  I'm feeling a little embarrassed now.  I was going ask for some tips. 

I was really glad when he said he couldn't play for the South team as well. 

user23840
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 15:34

you guy's. now you're just playing with me

Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 15:35

We thought we were going to be playing with Tiger

user23840
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 15:42

You can shud up. I know where you live.

Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 16:09

Ahhhh Scully.  Wouldn't mind playing a round with her. 

She likes her golf apparently. 

user21308
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 18:44

I don't know what to make of this Eldrick Woods character either. I thought it must be a p**s take so rated him 1 star (admittedly three times in total, by mistake) and he returned the compliment. See his and my page.

I then mailed him apologising and asked Darren to remove the ratings. Not wanting to annoy him whoever he is. However, just checked his stats again and he's gotta be a Joker, so I’m not so sure anymore.

If it is just a big joke it's this sort of FOOL who mucks up all the efforts to get the virtual leader board and accurate comparative stats working correctly. 

WHO IS THIS ELDRICK WOODS! And why is his handicap so random? If it is the real Tiger (LOL) have I managed to annoy the world’s best golfer? Why hasn’t Darren removed my comments yet?  So  many questions!

I want answers!

MAKES ME MAD!!! Perhaps I should also post this on the RANT board!!

user52922
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 19:02

Has shooting 80 made you more militant, John, you never used to be like this.

user21308
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 22:47

Not at all, John. I’ve always had an anarchic streak ;-)

I think it was looking at the Virtual leaderboard that brought Mr. Woods (notice my deferential tone) to my attention.

Looking forward to playing off my new handicap this weekend though. I'm at Pine Ridge with VGS. That is if there is a course left after all this rain. We only had nine random holes last weekend at Frome so didn't really get a chance to see if it was a complete fluke the week before. Can my good form continue?

I'll also see if I can drum up some membership for the South team when I’m there.

user52922
Reply : Wed 16th Jan 2008 23:00

I played Pine Ridge  recently and it was very nice. I can play for free weekdays now its a crown course.

Good idea about getting some new team members, you know all the bandits.

user52922
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 09:47

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=the+final+round+of+the+Children%27s+Miracle+Network+Classic+presented+by+Wal-Mart+at+Wa
lt+Disney+World%C2%AE+Resort.%22&ei=utf-8&fr=b1ie7

user21308
Reply : Thu 17th Jan 2008 19:23

Sorry Matt, I did drift off of the reason for your original post...my apologies 

user23840
Reply : Fri 18th Jan 2008 05:21

If you are the man, then lets have a personal video message to golfsake.com on here.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top