Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Playing after enforced lay off

Posted by: user355304 | Sun 20th Sep 2015 07:33 | Last Reply

A few months ago I suffered a bad back injury.I'm pleased to say that after lots of physio that I'm on the mend.My question is, does anyone have any good tips on how I should get back playing without that fear that every time I swing the club it will go again!.

Last edit : Sun 20th Sep 2015 07:33
re: Playing after enforced lay off
user252002
Reply : Sun 20th Sep 2015 10:52

Nikki,

You've got to set expectations that it will take time to get back to where you were before the injury.

I'm no doctor but have had layoffs with knee problems so consult your doctor/Physio to make sure you're OK to play.

If the injury was caused by golfing you may also want to consult a sports physio or pro to make sure you're posture is good.

The way I've got back without further injury. 1. Warm up - easy into the stretching 2. Swing within yourself - say 50% max - this will mean using more club on each hot. 3. don't do 18 holes first time 4. choose a flat course 5. use a trolley preferably powered or buggy 6. make sure your playing partner knows of your injury so they can keep you from over exertion.

Keep stretching in between shots and between rounds.

Hope you're back to 100% soon

Anthony

Last edit : Sun 20th Sep 2015 10:52
user657494
Reply : Fri 25th Sep 2015 21:09

had the same twice, both for 4 months, confirmed as prolapsed disc, got to admit best thing that happened. take it easy for first 6 months (half swings) not cocking wrists and watch it go straight! the full swing comes back slowly but the speed isn't there, get clubs fitted and watch handicap fall, i've lost 3 in a year

Last edit : Fri 25th Sep 2015 21:09
user355304
Reply : Thu 8th Oct 2015 21:27

Thanks for the replies.I am taking things very slowly and warming up correctly.It amazes me how not hitting at your max sharpens your accuracy considerably!

Last edit : Thu 8th Oct 2015 21:27

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top