Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

range finder v GPS?

Posted by: user653186 | Fri 21st Aug 2015 00:00 | Last Reply

hi people, im back playing after 6 1/2 years out through injury etc on my return ive noticed a few nice gadgets. just wondering your opinions on both, im thinking about the Garmin S3 but the rang finder looks a nice bit of kit too cheers chris

Last edit : Fri 21st Aug 2015 00:00
re: range finder v GPS?
user653360
Reply : Sat 22nd Aug 2015 10:36

Range finders are great when you can see the target, the best thing about GPS is it will give you a distance through trees!

Last edit : Sat 22nd Aug 2015 10:36
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 22nd Aug 2015 17:54

I have a SkyCaddie SG5 and really like all the features it has.

The drawback with rangefinders is that you can only map what you can see!

My SkyCaddie draws a map of the hole. This will show you things like bunkers that you would not see with a rangefinder.

To be honest with you, I don't think either one is any good unless you can hit the same shot every time.

I find my invaluable when I play a new course.

The yardage for each club is in my head so all I do as I walk upto the golf ball is check the distance. I immediately know what club to use. Then I take into account all the other things that could influence my club choice, wind, elevation, lie, etc.

A plus point for the rangefinder is that there are no yearly fees to pay!

Downside for a rangefinder is keeping you hands still long enough for it to give you a distance!

If you belong to a golf club the pro might have some of these in the shop that you could take out and test.

Russ

Last edit : Sat 22nd Aug 2015 17:54
user653186
Reply : Mon 24th Aug 2015 22:43

cheers guys, ive gone for the garmin s2 i will say i thought it was a great bit of kit

Last edit : Mon 24th Aug 2015 22:43
user246701
Reply : Tue 25th Aug 2015 20:59

Recently changed to a laser for a couple of reasons. Moved from Skycaddie originally due to the ongoing costs, moved from golfbuddy as they still haven't changed my own course layout .... but the big reason for swapping was simply that I got fed up of having to ensure it was charged every two rounds, kept forgetting it and then starting up to find it was almost dead.

Last edit : Tue 25th Aug 2015 20:59
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 27th Aug 2015 15:55

I have a system for my SkyCaddie.

Check the battery after the round, if it's low I always put it on charge as soon as I get home.

Very rarely forget to charge it.

Last edit : Thu 27th Aug 2015 15:55

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top