Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Putting Help

Posted by: user649442 | Sun 26th Jul 2015 12:17 | Last Reply

Hi, I am a 10 handicap golfer from Shropshire and I am really struggling with putting, averaging 38/39 putts per round. Has anyone got any really good tips to hole out more putts? Thanks

Last edit : Sat 22nd Aug 2015 18:11
re: Putting Help
user106712
Reply : Mon 27th Jul 2015 10:05

When Jordan Speith is with 3 feet of the hole, he looks at the hole as he putts. Seems to work for him.I suppose you could also try it from farther away too.

Last edit : Mon 27th Jul 2015 10:05
user252002
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2015 19:40

Christian,

How are you missing and from what distance?

I'm sure you know putting is a confidence thing so it's just good practice and a good pre-shot routine.

I always hit long putts to start with to get feel of distance as long as I get within a few feet of a target then I pick a straight slightly uphill put of 6-8 feet then hit no more that 6-9 putts trying not to look at the hole following my routine.

At home I hit on a putting mat and see how many consecutive I can whole, then putt with my eyes closed.

You might also want to check your putter as it the right type for your path, if you need a face balanced and you have a heel-toe you'll struggle. I'm currently using a Super Stoke grip as that pacifies the wrists.

Last edit : Tue 28th Jul 2015 19:40
user521540
Reply : Fri 7th Aug 2015 11:17

Apart from playing on good greens....I now look at the hole instead of the ball as I'm putting very strange at first, but definitely has improved my putting as it takes your mind off the mechanics & gets you back to watching the putts drop in the hole for a change.

Last edit : Fri 7th Aug 2015 11:17
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 22nd Aug 2015 18:17

That is a pretty poor stat for a ten handicap!

If you could get that down to 29/30 putts a round you would be low single figure golfer.

I take it you have had a professional look at your putting stroke?

You haven't said what you main problem is.

The first tip I would give you is to hit your approach shots as close as you can! This will mean you haven't got any long distance putts to worry about.

My second tip would be to work on your distance control. I have a putting stroke that takes my golf ball six feet on my greens. I also have another putting stroke that goes twelve feet.

Make certain you are stroking the golf ball and not stabbing at it. I have just played two rounds with my nephew and his backstroke is so long that he has to slow his putter down on the down stroke! He ends up stabbing at the golf ball which means he can go way past the hole or not get it to the hole. On the odd occasion it works and he holes the putt.

To be honest, you need to get on the putting green and work on your putting. It should not take you to long to get a good stroke going.

Good luck with this.

Russ

Last edit : Sat 22nd Aug 2015 18:17

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top