Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Shock in the hands

Posted by: user643493 | Sun 5th Jul 2015 19:03 | Last Reply

I'm Still learning the sport Once Iv been to the driving range my right hand starts aching and go's num from the shock of hitting the ball Is this normal? it's fine if it is but it don't seam normal Am I hiting the ball sweetly? the ball seams to go pretty much where I want it to go maybe not the distance but that's why I'm practicing I am a right handed golfer I do sometime where a glove on the left hand that seams to be ok regardless of whereing one or not any tips or advise would be appreciated

Last edit : Sun 5th Jul 2015 19:03
re: Shock in the hands
user80078
Reply : Wed 8th Jul 2015 10:21

In my experience, there could be several reasons for your problem Steven. Range mats can be pretty unforgiving on your hands and require a more precise strike than turf when using irons. The numbness will probably be from frequent hitting the mat rather than the ball. Secondly, your irons may be a blade type rather than the more forgiving cavity back type. These are better used in the hands of lower handicap golfers and will cause shock in the hands if hit off the smaller sweetspot. Finally, it could be that your hands are not used to the grind of regular practice and need to be toughened up. If this is the case, things will slowly improve. Just a few ideas Steven. Good luck with your practice.

Last edit : Wed 8th Jul 2015 10:21
user643493
Reply : Thu 9th Jul 2015 11:22

Thanks for you advice Michael all makes perfect sense.

The irons I WAS using was Wilson blueridge (SEAD) blades but I got told they was "unforgiving" AND not the best for a Lerner so I swooped them for some king cobra gravity back (got told it may help iv used them once already and Seems lot better to use

It also makes sense about the mat I can imagine the ground is softer on the course (not yet been) and as I'm really trying to get the iron under the ball I'm am hitting the Matt iv not really been using the T's on the mat but I may use the shallow one from now to try Replicate the soft ground.

Thank been a help

Last edit : Thu 9th Jul 2015 11:22
user646436
Reply : Thu 16th Jul 2015 20:50

Hi steven looks like youve had the post answered and possible problems sorted out All id like to add is where u mentioned trying to get the "iron under the ball" If this is aimed at your lofted irons then fair enough but if mid to long irons (8-3) then id suggest rather than trying to get under the ball - concentrate more on a solid impact and connecting with that sweet spot in the irons more consistently. If you hit the sweet spot you wont need to worry about getting under the ball as the ball will fly off on trajectory as intended by the club your using Height and distance comes from correct contact with the sweet spot. I just dont want you to start hacking down on the ball trying to get under it as itll cause more issues and youll look at parts of your game that dont need looking at. Hope this makes sense lol

Last edit : Thu 16th Jul 2015 20:50
user643493
Reply : Thu 16th Jul 2015 22:56

Thanks for your advice Darren I completely agree with you specially with the mid irons if I'm honest with you I find It hard to get under the ball with the mid irons my short game is good and I'm really happy (wedges and 9 iron) and its a little hit and miss with 3-5irons 7-8 good at times PRACTICE is definitely the key I struggle to get 130+ yards to be honest the ball is going in a straight line but not much hight 9 iron I can get 120 easy it is by far my best club but iv just started some coaching I will master the game I enjoy it to much not to

Last edit : Thu 16th Jul 2015 22:56
user252002
Reply : Tue 28th Jul 2015 19:22

If you're still learning I wouldn't recommend using a 3 Iron or even a 5. Go get hybrid replacements until you're much better at ball striking.

I learnt with Wilson Sam Snead many years ago, Sounds like you're buying second hand so be sure they've not been custom fitted to someone else and the lie's are right for you. Easy way to check is to check where the range mat rubs on the sole of the club. You can spray foot powder on the sole and you might find your not striking the ground in the middle of the club which means you will get more shock at impact through your hands. Check You tube for video's

Last edit : Tue 28th Jul 2015 19:22

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top