Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Practice Routines

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 29th Mar 2015 20:52 | Last Reply

Just wondering what other people would do if they had two hours to practice.

Imagine you are at a golf club/driving range with all the facilities.

So you can practice every aspect of the game.

What would your split be for

Putting Chipping Bunkers Pitching Irons Driving

Last edit : Sun 29th Mar 2015 20:52
re: Practice Routines
user25808
Reply : Sun 29th Mar 2015 23:54

30 mins putting

20 mins chipping

15 mins bunkers

15 mins pitching

30 mins irons

10 mins driving

Wouldn't happen though as I don't like to practice too much, just like getting out on the course

Last edit : Sun 29th Mar 2015 23:54
user209804
Reply : Tue 31st Mar 2015 13:30

Start with some stretching - Start with the 7 iron - Then a mid iron - Driver or 3 wood - Pitching wedge or sand wedge - Putting - If any time left finish as I started with the 7 iron - Non of the above if the practice area is not on grass

Last edit : Tue 31st Mar 2015 13:30
user43763
Reply : Tue 31st Mar 2015 13:39

personally I love practice but 2 hours is too long. also, if its not before a round then surely there has to be purpose, work on something in particular. if not before a round then I would maybe pick two and work on them in 30 min intervals twice each e.g. 30 mins driving, 30 mins outing, 30 mins driving etc. if I wanted to work on everything on the day then in this order: Chipping - 20 mins, I enjoy it and I miss a lot of greens so hopefully start positive putting 15 mins - much longer and you just learn the speed and break of the green your practicing on not necessarily the course greens bunkers 10 mins - just learn to get out every time not expecting to hole every bunker shot, time spent better elsewhere. 15 mins driving 30 mins irons 20 mins wedges - 100 yards in, very underrated practice imo 10 mins repeating whatever I felt I did well, end on a high note, nothing worse than walking away from the range beating yourself up about how bad your last ball was

im sure this sort of thing is very personal though

Last edit : Tue 31st Mar 2015 13:39
user217280
Reply : Tue 31st Mar 2015 17:51

I like to practice but I don't tend to practice for 2 hours not unless I was on the course for 2 hours, and I would not practice all aspects of the golf game in one go I don't believe that would help any one. If I had a swing issue say with my driver then I would practice that, I wouldn't then finish off with some putting as that would not allow my mind to remember what I had praticed, if I wanted to practice putting then I would practice putting then finish, I believe adding to many swing thoughts in to practice would confuse my mind, Generally practice for me would be a warm up on the range, then I would go out on the course and make every single shot count, I know people who hit three of four balls on each hole, I believe that doesn't allow the right focus on each shot, practice is meant to help you play better golf, so practice with a purpose, practice like you were playing and each shot mattered as it would when you have a card in your hand, Humans only have short attention spans so my advise don't practice for too long 30 mins quality practice is better that 2 hours of just smaking balls and learning nothing.

Last edit : Tue 31st Mar 2015 17:51
user217280
Reply : Tue 31st Mar 2015 17:58

Here is an example, I am going to get some practice in on Bank holiday Friday, I have been coming out of my posture early the last few weeks and have been hitting some horrible thin shots, so on Friday I will be practicing staying in my posture and nothing else, I will probably hit around 50 balls, once I feel I have fixed the problem I will then go out and see if I can take it on to the course, if I can then that would be what I class as a successful practice session.

Last edit : Tue 31st Mar 2015 17:58

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top