Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Cold weather yardages

Posted by: user555476 | Sun 1st Mar 2015 09:31 | Last Reply

Hopefully not a stupid question but is there a sort of general 'rule of thumb' type way of thinking regarding reduced distances with your clubs in winter? I use a gps watch to get my distances to the greens I have noticed that my summer dist for a 7 iron is approx 150yds but lateley need my 6 to hit 145-150. Is this what you'd expect? Do you base your winter club distance on say x yds less or x % less than in summer?

Thanks for any info

Last edit : Sun 1st Mar 2015 09:31
re: Cold weather yardages
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 1st Mar 2015 22:06

I would normally take one extra club to go the same distance as I would in the summer months.

Another thing I do, is to always use the yardage to the back of the green when working out which club to use.

Russ

Last edit : Sun 1st Mar 2015 22:06
user217280
Reply : Tue 3rd Mar 2015 16:36

I would say at least one club different than in the summer, however I will even go two clubs more ex specially if I am wearing a lot of winter clothes, I like to take more club and swing smoother through the winter, that way I don't get in the trap of hitting the ball harder harder and ruining my swing, just accept that you are not going to hit it as far in the winter and take as many more clubs as you need, I like Russell's tip on using the yardage to the back of the green, in my experience higher handicap players always miss short anyway.

Last edit : Tue 3rd Mar 2015 16:36
user555476
Reply : Thu 5th Mar 2015 09:39

thanks gents for your valued replies

1 club extra seems to be working out about right

Last edit : Thu 5th Mar 2015 09:39

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top