Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

sand wedge

Posted by: user618719 | Tue 10th Feb 2015 21:03 | Last Reply

on a sand wedge , steel or graphite ,,what you think is best ???

Last edit : Tue 10th Feb 2015 21:03
re: sand wedge
user622874
Reply : Tue 10th Feb 2015 22:05

I think unless your a really low Hcapper you'll not really notice any significant difference. Personally I'd opt for a steel shaft. Simply because theyre easier to shift if you want to sell it on.

Last edit : Tue 10th Feb 2015 22:05
re: sand wedge
user53837
Reply : Wed 11th Feb 2015 09:36

Hi Peter,

Owen here form Golfshake. I used to work in golf custom fitting. So hopefully I can give you some sound advice.

Wedge shafts tend to be pretty stiff and nearly always steel. The only real reason to have a graphite shaft if is you suffer arthritic pain in your joints as it dampens any vibrations. Steel is the more consistent material and will give you better and more accurate results.

One other thing to consider when buying a sand wedge or lob wedge is bounce. If you tend to attack the sand steeply from a green side bunker you will need a lot of bounce on your sand wedge, 11* or so, but if you have a shallower plane you will need less bounce, 8* or so. Lob wedges go all the way down to 2* or 4* of bounce.

Couple of useful articles/videos on bounce. Hope I have not over-complicated things!

Bounce explained - http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/4298/Bounce_Explained.html VIDEO - Why bounce is so important - http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/8226/Bunker_Tips_Why_bounce_is_important_for_bunker_play.html

Last edit : Wed 11th Feb 2015 09:36

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top