Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Official Handicap

Posted by: user26342 | Mon 31st Dec 2007 10:59 | Last Reply

Hi,

I am applying to join a new golf course & one of the requirements is to prove my handicap, otherwise I have to play 3 rounds with a member & then the committee calculate my handicap. The problem is in these weather conditions & sometimes playing on temp greens it is hard to play anywhere near your handicap. 

I'm not sure they will accept my handicap printout off this site unless backed up by an official body.

Does anybody have any suggestions??

John. 

re: Official Handicap
user50354
Reply : Mon 31st Dec 2007 12:07

John,

I would enquire further because they may not allow cards during winter months.

Our club only allow cards for h/c purposes after 31 March.

Robbie

user26342
Reply : Mon 31st Dec 2007 12:20

Robbie,

How would your club allocate an handicap for a new member joining then between Jan - March??

John. 

user52922
Reply : Mon 31st Dec 2007 16:17

If the course you are joining has temporary greens, I would think twice about it.

user26342
Reply : Mon 31st Dec 2007 16:44

John,

The course does have temporary greens, as do my courses I presume but correct me if I'm wrong (& I've no doubt you will ). I believe they are only used in very extreme ground frost conditions to protect the main greens.

I have friends who are existing members of the course & they are very happy with it & it wasn't a decision I made lightly.

Thanks,

John. 

user52922
Reply : Mon 31st Dec 2007 18:55

As it happens my club has neither temporary greens or winter tees and it has been very interesting trying to get near the pin when they have been severely frosted. But to be fair the conditions have not had a dramatic affect on the overall scoring in the weekly roll-ups that I play in. So one soon learns to find a method to get reasonably near. Putting, of course just means one has to hit the ball harder, but invariably the line is held very well in the frost.

If you are happy with the course, then who am I to attempt to talk you out of it. Your immediate question was regarding your handicap at the new club and any self respecting club would have you put in three cards so that your handicap can be assessed. You, of course do not necessarily have to put in a card you are not happy with.

I gather the impression, that at least you are trying to preserve the handicap you currently have, which is commendable, unless of course you shoot in the seventies.

I wish you well in the new club and may your golf go from strength to strength.

user50354
Reply : Tue 1st Jan 2008 12:47

They wouldn't John, No handicaps are allocated during January through March. Anybody joining during that period will have to wait before putting cards in.

user52922
Reply : Tue 1st Jan 2008 14:17

Happy New year, Robbie. I cannot vouch for what other clubs do in respect of handicaps, but ours will allocate and still cut handicaps during the winter competitions.

Personally I would like to see handicaps monitored for the whole year, everywhere.

The long felt idea that handicaps were supposed to represent the best standard one could achieve under summer conditions, has proved to be useless, as we consistently see golfers scoring over 40 points. My club is no  exception to this, but they don't do it very often, as we penalise winners severely. Although not strictly by the book I find that our method is much better.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2008 09:11

John,

Out of interest, which one are you joining?  I remember you saying during the game at Breadsall (I've managed to blank most of that day out now!) that you liked the variety of courses not being a member gave you the opportunity to play. 

user26342
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2008 11:37

John P,

You assume right that I'm am trying to preserve my current handicap as it has taken quite a lot of work (& frustration) to achieve). I only wish I shot in the seventies.

Chris P,

I am joining Handsworth GC. I do enjoy the variety not being a member gives but I want to start playing in more comps & during the winter months I have started to resent paying money to play on muni courses & then play off winter mats & temp greens & also the courses being very, very muddy & not well maintained.

As I mentioned to John I did a lot of research into which club to join & Handsworth ticked most of the boxes.

Happy New Year,

John. 

Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2008 11:51

Happy New Year to you too John. 

I've heard a lot of good things about Handsworth GC.  One of my Sunday four-ball serviced the alarms there and he said the facilities were really good and the course looked superb.  Hope you enjoy it. 

I played Pype Hayes and Hill Top over Christmas and whilst both were off mats, there were no temps and both courses were in pretty good condition (the 5th at Hill Top is always a bit damp though).  Also, Birmingham Muni courses are 18 holes for the price of 9 if you tee off after 12:00 'til 31st March so I got a full round for £8.00 yesterday. 

user26342
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2008 12:29

Chris,

Are you around on Sunday for a game??

John. 

Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2008 12:33

I've got a three-ball booked for 9:08 at Hill Top.  You're welcome to join us if you want. 

user26342
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2008 12:41

Sounds good, will let you know by Friday if that's OK?

Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2008 12:45

No problems. 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top