Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

repairing pitch marks

Posted by: user511184 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 6th Feb 2015 03:34 | Last Reply

Why oh why do people not repair pitch marks on greens.On my course Worsley Park the greens are absolutely fantastic for the time of year.They would be even better if people repaired their pitch marks it only takes a couple of seconds to do it.These are probably the same people who constantly moan about the state of the course, GET A GRIP (REPAIR YOUR PITCHMARKS).

Last edit : Fri 6th Feb 2015 03:34
re: repairing pitch marks
user309476
Reply : Fri 6th Feb 2015 14:21

This is one of my pet hates. I tend to play a group of courses and it lets some of them down when the greens look tatty and bobbley due to this. Like you said it doesn't take long and is just common decency and why would you leave a green in a condition you wouldn't want to put on yourself.

Last edit : Fri 6th Feb 2015 14:21
user618719
Reply : Fri 6th Feb 2015 19:46

me to ,,i play worsley to ,,but willy wroe where we play after work alot , hole 9 is under the noise of the club window and still they do not repair them ,,i was just saying last week ,i think when you pay your money to play the man/woman on the desk sould tell every one to repair them ,its not hard !!

Last edit : Fri 6th Feb 2015 19:46
user511184
Reply : Fri 6th Feb 2015 20:34

the marriot worsley park is a stunning golf course that would improve if people used common decency and repaired pitch marks raked bunkers and replaced divots.It should not be down to the green staff to do this but every individual who tees off.

Last edit : Fri 6th Feb 2015 20:34
user618719
Reply : Fri 6th Feb 2015 21:47

marriot was where the trilby tour was last yr , play it 2 or 3 times ,its like 2 miles from my door ,,lol,,

Last edit : Fri 6th Feb 2015 21:47
user622874
Reply : Fri 6th Feb 2015 22:17

Its incredibly annoying to put it mildly. Obviously birds can turn them over from time to time but the vast majority of the guilty culprits are course visitors.

Last edit : Fri 6th Feb 2015 22:17
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 7th Feb 2015 10:12

Terry, we are talking Pitch Marks (made by the ball), not Divots, which birds do turn over. At my last club, members were grouped and asked to look after a certain greens (mine was 11th) and repair as many as possible when playing (obviously not holding up play in doing so).

Last edit : Sat 7th Feb 2015 10:12
user622874
Reply : Sat 7th Feb 2015 11:46

Sorry Dave. I was too anxious to express my opinion. Probably because I witnessed a lady guest take a huge rat on my course a couple of weeks ago, only for her to trundle over it with her electric trolley. She had no intentions of replacing it?

Last edit : Sat 7th Feb 2015 11:46
user622874
Reply : Sat 7th Feb 2015 11:55

My club has a "guest invitational" every Wednesday throughout the winter months. The greens are noticeably worse when they have finished. Not meant to be a slight toward guests of course, but its a fact. May be it would be best to have a guest day on a Monday. The condition is still good after the weekend members comp, and it gives the course more time for recovery. Surely better for all?

Last edit : Sat 7th Feb 2015 11:55
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 7th Feb 2015 19:51

How about a trial. Give a Pitch Mark repairer with every Green Fee and see if things improve?

Last edit : Sat 7th Feb 2015 19:51
user622874
Reply : Sat 7th Feb 2015 21:47

Its just laziness Dave. Some of the members are as bad to be fair.

Last edit : Sat 7th Feb 2015 21:47
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 8th Feb 2015 17:35

The greens are bad at my club due to people not repairing pitch marks.

If you are good enough to make a pitch mark then please have the decency to repair it!

I've had members say to me that it's the greenkeepers job!

Others always blame societies, even though they are not allowed out during the mornings at weekends, and we are playing in the morning. So it must be members and their guests!

If they cannot be bothered to repair a pitch mark then how hard is it going to be for them to replace a divot?

At my golf club, I've seen members move the ropes protecting a soft part of the course so they can get their trolley through, instead of walking around the other side of the green. Some of these people are that stupid, and lazy, that they don't even put the ropes back once they have gone through!

The only way to stop this is for marshalls to keep a watch on a hole and report all the people who don't repair pitch marks to the club shop. If they continue to not repair pitch marks then suspend them from the club.

I always repair a pitch mark on every green, and two if I have managed to make a pitch mark myself!

If we all did this on every hole we would find it difficult to find a pitch mark to repair.

Russ

Last edit : Sun 8th Feb 2015 17:35
user511184
Reply : Thu 12th Feb 2015 08:08

well said Russ fully agree with everything you say.It doesnt take long to do it if only everyone was like us ,heres hoping.

Last edit : Thu 12th Feb 2015 08:08

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top