Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Squaring the face: a revelation.

Posted by: user565589 | Fri 30th Jan 2015 18:12 | Last Reply

This is going to sound astoundingly obvious to the more experienced golfers here but I've had a breakthrough this week and feel it may help my fellow slicers and weak faders .

Been battling the slice ever since taking the game up about 18mnths ago and now have it down to a controllable but pretty weak fade, starting pretty much straight at target but slways fading right to various degrees. Decided to reallyfocus on delivering the club head square to the ball by gocusing on my right pslm direction, specificallymy my right index or trigger finger. It seems tjis fingersposition dictates club face angle for me. As long as I concentrate on bringing my right i dex finger back to square the club face follows! Hurrah! Drives have straightened considerably and irons are no longer fading at last minute. Much more penetrating/further flight too! Only tested on range so far but playing tomorrow so that 'll be the real test, feeling like I may have cracked it though.

If you slice, give this a try.

Last edit : Fri 30th Jan 2015 18:12
re: Squaring the face: a revelation.
user106712
Reply : Fri 30th Jan 2015 18:50

Sounds good ! I had a similar revelation a few years ago. Everyone was telling me to keep my left arm straight. But I found that if I concentrated on keeping my right arm straight as I hit the ball it kept the ball straight with a touch of draw.. I am right handed by the way !

Last edit : Fri 30th Jan 2015 18:50
user565589
Reply : Fri 30th Jan 2015 19:10

Yes, making sure both arms are straight at impact has been good for me too. Staying in the shot and feeling like I see the club swing through the ball before my right shoulder follows through helped with my contact and stops me rising up too quickly. Feel like getting the club face square with this finger thought is the last peice of the puzzle as far as sorting my slice out.

Last edit : Fri 30th Jan 2015 19:10
user127691
Reply : Sat 31st Jan 2015 13:28

Glad to see an improvement. But in terms of slicers squaring the club face that may actually make things worse for most, wouldnt it?

Face controls direction, path controls curve. Straight with late fade/slice would suggest an out to in path with an open face so starts straight fades late. If you had an in to out swing and an square (to path) club face, shot would startt left and slice generally resulting in a lot of pulls. I would imagine the squaring feeling has probably inadvertantly changed you path, which is great news for you.

Also all good players generally have a slightly bent right arm at impact, straightenig after impact. That how they maintain lag, casting or early releasing is caused by a premeture straightenig of the right arm.

Not picking, glad these tips have worked for you guys but maybe not goibg to work for everyone

Last edit : Sat 31st Jan 2015 13:28
user50843
Reply : Sat 31st Jan 2015 18:48

I used something similar to overcome a slice I developed, I came across a video by a pro called Ringer, it was called The Shake Your Hand Drill, I think it's more about the release and the idea being your hands and arms have released and your right hand is on top of your left. It has the same effect gets your hands in the right place at impact, it worked for me and got me drawing the ball and I still use it now.

Last edit : Sat 31st Jan 2015 18:48
user565589
Reply : Mon 2nd Feb 2015 07:06

Yes Gary, I imagine if you filmed me now my arms wouldn't actually be straight at impact. It feels like they are but I did film myself 6 mths or so ago and my arms were basically collapsing after impact so I try to groove the straight arm feeling which also stops me topping/thinning.

Last edit : Mon 2nd Feb 2015 07:06

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top