Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

When was it decided Professional Golfers don't need to shout FORE?

Posted by: user421205 | Sat 8th Nov 2014 21:54 | Last Reply

I have recently nearly had the back of my head caved in by golfers who hit a wild drive and instead of shouting FORE, stand with their arm out to indicate which way it was travelling. His playing partners also believed they were playing in front of 10,000 people and didn't shout! This seems to have creeped into professional golf and a lot of amateurs are copying them.

Last edit : Sat 8th Nov 2014 21:54
re: When was it decided Professional Golfers don't need to shout FORE?
user21179
Reply : Sun 9th Nov 2014 21:03

For me it is completely unacceptable not to warn fellow players of any impending danger. I will call fore on someone else's behalf if they hit a wayward shot and don't call it ! It may be their responsibility, but if they are not prepared to do it then I will.

Last edit : Sun 9th Nov 2014 21:03
user425315
Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2014 11:49

I think the reason the pros don't shout fore is that if the ball hits a spectator/steward then there is a chance the ball may end up back in play with a decent lie rather than on the path way/trampled down mud/grass. I have no time for amateurs not shouting fore. I will do so even if I feel one of my wayward shots may not actually hit someone but will end up in their general vicinity - better to be safe than sorry!

Last edit : Mon 10th Nov 2014 11:49
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2014 13:03

The title of this thread asks one thing and the content of the opening post another. From my point of view, Professional tournaments have spectators 'watching' the golf and the flight of the ball so most people (even though there are more of them) are in less danger than on a normal golf course. Also with the Pro tournaments becoming more of a corporate event many of the people walking around may not even know what a shout of "Fore" means.

Some years ago I witnessed an incident which makes me think twice before I shout Fore, even when a ball is heading towards someone. At the time it was normal on many Club practice grounds to have golfers collecting their balls while others were still hitting theirs and a near-miss was not uncommon. One time a shout of Fore resulted in a guy turning away and ducking down, the ball hit him on the back of the head and caused long term damage to him and if he hadn't reacted to the shout he would not have been hit.

I am also deaf in one ear so can't directionalise a shout of "Fore".

So to give my view. If you are certain the ball will hit someone, shout, and if you don't shout always say sorry and give the reason why you didn't shout.

Last edit : Mon 10th Nov 2014 13:03
user477305
Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2014 15:24

Sorry David I have to disagree with you there. Imagine if a ball landed maybe a foot wide of you at about waist height. I would be very unhappy with whoever hit the ball and make that clear. If that person said sorry, I didn't shout fore because I didn't want you to bend down and get hit, I would never believe them. More warning is always better, dont just duck, cover the back of your head with your hand (which I think is a pretty natural reaction).

Back on the subject of the pro's completely agree, I think it shows a certain amount of arrogance not to shout.

Last edit : Mon 10th Nov 2014 15:24
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 10th Nov 2014 16:02

Chris, Keeping quiet when a ball looks like landing a foot away is not what I am saying. That is too close to keep quiet.

Also at a Pro tournament, do you ever hear someone in the crowd say "incoming" or something to that effect? I have on a number of occasions when the flight of the ball is being watched.

I even watch other golfers when on the course, so I can be aware of any danger to my group. Now how many guys do that?

Last edit : Mon 10th Nov 2014 16:02
user43763
Reply : Tue 11th Nov 2014 12:42

I also think that with the stakes at play at the pro tourney, if someone is on a nearby green they wont shout fore to avoid distracting the putters, I know this is a weak excuse but imagine on the ryder cup that America were putting for the hole and screams of fore came from the adjoining tee, could have some interesting fall out.

Im with Tim on this one, if the person hitting it wont shout I will, I often find that some players are worried about shouting fore in case they look or sound silly but after a few rounds they see its the done thing and join in.

I will also have to respectfully disagree with you on the correct timing of the fore call david, I understand your point about that unfortunate gentleman, but many more people could be prevented injury from a fore call than are victim to such unfortunate situations

Last edit : Tue 11th Nov 2014 12:42
user217280
Reply : Wed 12th Nov 2014 16:45

Pro golfers at tournaments shouldn't need to shout fore, the spectators as David said tend to warn of impending impact, they don't usually hit it to far off line and if one is standing in the landing area then one should be paying attantion, after all one is there to watch the golf, when playing on the golf course, well that is a different matter, one is not watching other players so can be expected to watch for wayward shots, and club golfers tend to hit the ball all over the place, so they should shout fore if the ball is likely to hit someone, I don't however believe one should be shouting fore if the ball is going in someones general direction, and is likely to miss them by 20 or 30 yards, only if there is a possibility of it hitting someone.

Last edit : Wed 12th Nov 2014 16:45
user451055
Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2014 10:58

In reply to Russell - Pro golfers hit the ball a lot further than us mere mortals so when they do go offline they tend to be further offline! There are lots of occasions when the crowd cannot even see the person hitting the ball. If you ware walking in between fairways to get to a strand or a new vantage point, when you are far back in the crowd and are shorter than everyone, when you are standing by the fairway of a dogleg hole. It is so important ALL golfers shout fore!

Last edit : Fri 14th Nov 2014 10:58
user43763
Reply : Fri 14th Nov 2014 15:42

I think there is some confusion between the title of this topic and the intentions of the OPs post.

Last edit : Fri 14th Nov 2014 15:42
user578381
Reply : Sun 23rd Nov 2014 17:08

My first contribution on a forum on this site but I feel this is an important topic.

For me pros should be shouting fore. That's the end of the argument for me. firstly, because I feel its an etiquette issue. Are they above the long standing tradition and way of playing? they shouldn't be.

Secondly, they should be setting an example to other golfers.

I do take the points of the other posters above. David, the incident you speak about sounds horrendous but can be put down to a freak accident. I would wager that more people have been hit without a shout of fore than have been hit as a result of reacting to one. I do however understand why you may be more hesitant having witnessed the incident. I am a little like you and I have a good look at those around and assess the danger to a certain degree of others playing around us.

The issue of Pros not shouting as they may get a better lie. I'm really not sure on that. I think it comes down to a plain simple arrogance of some players not wanting to shout. I always like it when I hear other Pros shouting on their behalf as I think it may shame them next time round.

For me, every golfer should do the same thing. if they feel there is a genuine and real threat of their ball hitting someone the fore should be shouted or indeed if they cannot see where the ball is going. if its going close but really not hitting someone then not shouting is fine by me but an apology should be made.

If in doubt, shout

Last edit : Sun 23rd Nov 2014 17:08

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top