Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Wet gear

Posted by: user418412 | Sun 5th Oct 2014 17:08 | Last Reply

Yesterday marked the first really wet day of the autumn, and I got really wet and cold. I've got an Adidas waterproof jacket and only my shoulders got a bit damp under that, my shoes stood up pretty well although my socks got wet from the sheer amount of rain. My shorts got soaked, my brolley broke as did my brolley holder. This seems to indicate that you get what you pay for in terms of wet weather gear. As I shall be golfing all winter it seems sensible to invest in effective wet weather gear but does that mean I have to splash out (pun intended) on really expensive stuff. I play golf on a fairly small budget so need to spend wisely. Does anyone have any good recommendations? What are the tips for keeping things dry? It seemed within minutes all my clubs were wet and gloves became pointless. We all know playing in the rain isn't a lot of fun but it happens so best be prepared.

Last edit : Sun 5th Oct 2014 17:08
re: Wet gear
user246701
Reply : Sun 5th Oct 2014 17:14

Wet weather gloves are a must buy for me, I use macwets as they double up quite well for winter warmth too.

Last years waterproof clothing is usually good value, I use Proquip as they are good quality and fairly cheap too (full suit for £130ish gets last years models)

Last edit : Sun 5th Oct 2014 17:14
user425315
Reply : Mon 6th Oct 2014 11:06

I played on Saturday in the rain and my addidas climacool top struggled with the amount of rain so I spent yesterday browsing ebay and have just ordered myself a pro quip aquastorm jacket (£40). Ok its the 2013 version but at that price i'm not fussed! at the moment my old reebok waterproof trousers are ok but I might upgrade to the matching pro quip ones as I want to play more golf. also its worth getting a waterproof bag cover to stop water penetrating and making the shafts and grips wet. I carry 3 towels - one stays on the bag for cleaning clubs and the ball, one in hung in the brolly for the grips and my hands and I have a small in my pocket just in case wet weather gloves are essential too.

Last edit : Mon 6th Oct 2014 11:06
user43763
Reply : Tue 7th Oct 2014 14:55

I have a set of ping Tornado 2 trousers (£10 on ebay!) and a proquip jacket (£30 on ebay) and ill be honest the trousers do a better job than the jacket but both are completely watertight. I would say the bigger brands put far more effort into fitting than, say Dunlop, and between that and the material quality its an amazing difference. My mate has a full Dunlop suit, £20 jobby, and he will come in ringing wet and I am always bone dry.

Last edit : Tue 7th Oct 2014 14:55
user477305
Reply : Wed 8th Oct 2014 13:43

Nike were selling a suit for about £80 not too long ago and I'm not sure if it's still about. My friend got it for hsi birthday and has had a number of rainy rounds in it and loves it. I bought a Benross jacket and trousers about 8 years ago for £100 and they have never let me down!

Last edit : Wed 8th Oct 2014 13:43
user53837
Reply : Wed 8th Oct 2014 13:59

I'm sure someone from this Monday's Golfshake event could offer suggests - wet and windy to say the least!!

Last edit : Wed 8th Oct 2014 13:59
user24437
Reply : Wed 8th Oct 2014 18:32

I wore my old Footjoy Dry Joy suit (about 6 years old now) and I was bone dry even after the morning's 'shower'. It's been treated on a regular basis with Nikwash and Nikwax and just sheds water, only leakage is through the collar where the Velcro fastener has given up the ghost - apart from that dry and warm with only my spanking new Under Armour top on underneath. Feet were wet, but that was because of all the searching in the long grass for balls. Bag was also soaked through, but as I was wearing a pair of Callaway wet weather gloves and my clubs are fitted with some superb Lamkin UTX grips (review to follow!) keeping hold wasn't a problem either. Worst bit was losing both games....

Last edit : Wed 8th Oct 2014 18:32
user26342
Reply : Thu 9th Oct 2014 16:13

I wore my galvin green suit which is 8 years old. Only needs tumble drying after a soaking to get it back to its full potential. I was bone dry & warm. I also use the sun mountain h2n0 bag so all my clubs (apart from the grips where I was holding them with my wet weather gloves) were dry along with belongings etc.

So my initial outlay for my gear has paid me back dividends.

Last edit : Thu 9th Oct 2014 16:13

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top