Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How do you learn consistency?

Posted by: user418412 | Wed 17th Sep 2014 23:14 | Last Reply

I first tried golf just under 4 years ago (inspired by the 2010 Ryder Cup). Since then I have played hundreds of rounds at loads of courses. Had hours of lessons. Practiced, experimented and sought various types of advice. Since joining a new club I have played with a number of new people and really enjoyed the social side of the game. The playing part however continues to prove a major frustration. The thing that separates me from the good golfers (10 handicap and under) I play with is consistency. They hit less bad shots and their bad shots are no where near as bad as mine can be. My good shots are as good as anyones, I drive the ball a good distance, have a nice trajectory with my irons, I have a solid short game and have always been a decent putter. The problem however comes in those bad shots. Avoid them and I can score mid 80s but on a bad day (like today) I can't break 100! Thins, shanks, short, long, right, left, hook, push, slice, chunk anything is possible on any shot! Last years lessons lead to me shortening my swing to try and get more consistent. I also learnt to shape the ball both ways. How can I get more consistent? If I can cut the really poor shots out of my game I'll start enjoying it again. I only have a limited budget for playing golf and most of that is spent on my membership so I don't use a driving range and just use the practice net and short game area at my club to practice or just play out on course. Although I enjoy my lessons and get on with the pro really well it has never seemed to produce the long term results I am looking for. Any advice greatly received.

Last edit : Wed 17th Sep 2014 23:14
re: How do you learn consistency?
user599558
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2014 10:01

I'm having a similar problem, I would suggest that maybe you're over thinking everything? Rather than just walking up to the ball and hitting you're most likely thinking about how you want to draw/fade your shot, being very precise with where you'd like to land the ball etc. don't put pressure on yourself, at the end of the day it's about enjoyment and taking it as seriously as that will suck the fun out of the game. My advice is to have a round where you don't think about each shot too much and just play, you'll probably be less tense, hit better and more importantly enjoy your round!

Last edit : Thu 18th Sep 2014 10:01
user451055
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2014 12:16

Hi David - I have been playing golf the same length of time as you and I am also craving consistency. This (my 4th year) is the first year it seems to be getting better. I have found that my consistency improves when I don't get cross with myself for doing an errant shot. When I am on the range I keep track of good vs bad shots - I then remember this ratio when on the course. There is no way I cold hit every shot perfectly so I don't allow myself to expect it on the course. If I get cross with a bad shot I compound the error and usually rack up a cricket score!

The other thing is the same as Eddie says. When on the course just trust the swing and only focus on where you want the ball to go. I played in a 36 hole competition the other day and on about the 5th hole I found myself deeply analysing the shot I was about to hit. I gave myself a good talking to along the lines of - there are another 31 holes to go, if you think this much about each shot you will be exhausted and it is ridiculous - I played much better after I let it go!

Last edit : Thu 18th Sep 2014 12:16
user43763
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2014 12:51

This is quite interesting. I assume you play off high teens? couple of points id like to highlight, I think I read something somewhere that only 10% of golfers who play the game will ever get to single figures, your friends aren't good, theyre exceptional! how many lessons did you have over what period of time? The reason I struggle to guess your handicap is because you say you drive the ball well, and your a decent putter with a good short game, yet on some days you cant break 100? I think you need to further analyse your game to really learn how to improve your consistency. I play off 14 and I cant shape the ball on purpose! because you say anything can happen on any shot makes me think its a general problem, if not between the ears. I assume due to lessons your grip and stance posture etc is good. Hows your tempo, makes a huge difference, I shortened my swing before this season and I had to adjust my tempo no not rush with the shorter distance. Weight transfer can lead to all sorts of dodgey shots too.

One thing the better golfers do really well is, letting it go, a good golfer can duff a chip and the next shot hole out.

do you hit all your fairways? hows your chipping, pitching, putting, bunker play, give us some guestimates on a typical round.

Also, practice, practice, practice is the answer you were waiting for but probably didn't want to hear ;P

Last edit : Thu 18th Sep 2014 12:51
user418412
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2014 13:42

All good points, many thanks. Eddie - I always go with the shot that just happens. If I hit 3 fades going up the 1st then I'll aim appropriately on the next hole. If however I'm consistently hitting slices, for example, then I have a method to go to to hit a draw rather than 'don't hit a slice'. Typically over the last month or so my driver has a slight draw, my irons a slight fade. Both have a big miss of a push. Any pressure is self generated trying to perform at a level I know I can. Having played competitive sport for years I can't simply play a sport, it's all about doing better

Judy - I do get frustrated. One bad shot doesn't really get to me, I go back to my routines and back myself to hit the next one. If however I hit poor shot, followed by terrible shot, followed by bad shot etc then I do get kranky. Putting usually calms me down in advance of the next tee.

Alun - You're sort of right. Golfshake has my handicap at 18 ish. My club one will be a little higher. I've had quite a lot of lessons over the years. I did a course of 10 over last winter to work on all aspects of the game. Within the last 7 days I've shot 85 and 108 on the same course in similar conditions, all down to my ball striking on a full swing. In terms of tempo I think having a faster swing doesn't help but whenever I've tried slowing it down I end up with some horrendous loopy thing. I think it could be instability in the swing but that's something that I find very difficult to analyse on course. I'll hit somewhere between 0 and 6 fairways per round, it's less about how many I miss but how far. I hit the ball better out the rough than off the fairway generally but there is plenty of trees and OOB at my club. Chipping is good as long as I'm in a good mood, it's the part of my game that's most effected by prior poor play. I'm usually around the 30 putt mark but need to improve my long putting and distance control. I can get out of bunkers but with no real control, that said if I'm in more than 2 a round that's rare. Happy to put the time into practice, but practice make permanent not perfect. There is no point practicing hitting bad shots. It's difficult to gauge how you're hitting it in a practice net so I end up working on things on course.

Last edit : Thu 18th Sep 2014 13:42
user477305
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2014 14:40

There's a couple of points here from two different books I've read. The first is from Dr (I can never remember his surname), basically the famous psychiatrist who works with loads of the pro's. He said something that really stuck in my head. It's along the lies of "Always just try and shoot the best score that you can with the swing that you turn up with on the day". He goes on to say that you should never try and fix a swing issue mid round, you should adapt your approach to how your playing. Drawing the ball for some reason? Play to it, aim right (or left) and attack the pin with a draw. Not driving well? Leave it in the bag and get out your go-to longer club and get yourself in play.

The other piece was from a book called "The Technique Myth by Andrew Knott". I got a free copy as he used to be a member at my club. He theorises that modern day pros and golfers in general are all gravitating towards the same "driving range swing". Everyone is taught essentially the same thing and end up with essentially the same thing. He says that years ago before driving ranges were readily available everyone had a completely different swing as they were self taught, and did what felt right. Because of this they didn't rely on "technique" like modern day players but instead they had taught themeselves how to score. This was basically the acceptance that their golf may not be pretty but they could still walk off with two points, as they had spent so much time playing on a course rather than swining on a range. They knew how yo get the ball close from all over the hole as they spent all their time doing it, rather than looking for that perfect swing on the range

Last edit : Thu 18th Sep 2014 14:40
user418412
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2014 17:02

Chris, I'd love to do the first one, that's been my ideal approach for a while the problem comes from not knowing what will come next, a thin? a chunk? a push? a hook? Hence the seeking consistency. I've played with a bloke who plays of 11 and easily plays to it who hits a big slice, not an ideal golf swing but because he does it everytime he can play with it. I however can hit any shot just about anywhere. I agree with your second point too, I would use a driving range but have an issue with them. I pay a fair amount of money (relative to my finances) to be a member of a club which allows me to play whenever and how ever much I like. If I want to use the range I have to pay extra. So I don't, I just go and play. I think this pays out in my recovery shots and short game but doesn't help a wayward swing.

Last edit : Thu 18th Sep 2014 17:02
user2879
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2014 19:48

David, I'd suggest you need to change your mindset per hole. If you play off 18, remember that you get a shot a hole. Use that shot by clubbing down on the tee. Hit the fairway consistently and you'll shoot lower scores. I play with loads of high handicappers who hit driver off tees and miss the fairways leading to doubles or worse. Try playing 5 or 6 iron off the tee and see what scores you shoot. Do you play social golf or medal play? I play loads of 9 hole social golf where I experiment with club selection

Last edit : Thu 18th Sep 2014 19:48
user573413
Reply : Thu 18th Sep 2014 20:18

David, i too play off 18 and can vary between 81 - 100, but my problems are 70% putting. I improved my driving and iron consistency last year, i noticed some of the Asian ladies on the LPGA had an incredibly slow take away and sometimes a pause at the top of their back swing. I slowed down my back swing and improved immediately. As for the annoying push, concentrate on finishing the follow through and see if that helps.

Last edit : Thu 18th Sep 2014 20:18
user607397
Reply : Tue 23rd Sep 2014 23:26

It sounds like you have a good pre shot routine and setup, but you don't mention a swing thought. Once you've prepared to hit a shot, you've got the shape, the target and taken aim, use one thought to initiate the takeaway that's the same every time. For me, its getting the club back to horizontal square to the target line. But it can be any thought you can repeat on every shot. Practice that move and thought whenever you can. If that part of your swing is consistent, the rest should follow. Good luck with it.

Last edit : Tue 23rd Sep 2014 23:26

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top