Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Celtic Manor best course?

Posted by: user421298 | Tue 16th Sep 2014 20:26 | Last Reply

Three of us have booked a night and two rounds in Oct. Playing the twenty ten (fri) followed by the Montgomery (sat) .

So looking forward to it but wondered which course am I likely to enjoy the most?

Last edit : Tue 16th Sep 2014 20:26
re: Celtic Manor best course?
user53837
Reply : Wed 17th Sep 2014 14:46

Similar to the Belfry post you just have to play the TwentyTen for the experience - the whole set-up is just amazing.

However the Monty is a thoroughly enjoyable course and you may just find you enjoy the 'course' more. The TwentyTen 'experience' will be well worth it though!

Last edit : Wed 17th Sep 2014 14:46
user43763
Reply : Wed 17th Sep 2014 22:48

I agree with GS, i plan on playing all the courses but as of yet ive only taken a keen interest in the opinions of people i play with have.

Most people tell me the 2010 is epic and completely worth the experience but the golf was more enjoyable on the monty, the roman road is like a grade above a good club course, and a bit below the 2010.

The advice ive been given is - if possible take a 4 ball as its not uncommon to be partnered up with singles and other pairs which although its the nice social side to golf, most people would to prefer to hit theyre first tee shot of a £100 round, in front of their mates, the nerves are less (apparently), Take the buggies!!! although expensive the 2010 regularly takes visitors 6 hours to walk around. also take a few clubs to each shot as the cart paths can be quite far from the other (wrong ;p) side of the fairway. A good friend of mine did the monty with a 4ish tee off in late august last year with buggies and the chap in the booth said it was a shame they probably wouldnt get to complete it due to the dark, Mostly they tell me that when i go to go and enjoy it and not try and shoot a good score, just enjoy playing it. One of the par 5s is 600+ yards im told and some of the par 3's are always 200+ yards long.

Let us know how it is

Last edit : Wed 17th Sep 2014 22:48
user23669
Reply : Fri 19th Sep 2014 23:14

I played the 2010 & The Montgomery back in June.

I was greatly impressed with the Montgomery course lots of hills, nice views especially from the par 5 3rd where you look down on the 2010. Bit of a walk from green to tee but had everything I'd want & definitely would go back and play again. Due to the hills I'd say that a buggy is a good idea but I like to walk from a fitness point of view.

The 2010 well the experience was great had a 16:00 Tee time on a Sunday it was a quiet day as I never had anybody in front of me all afternoon and got round long before dark. Unlike the Monty this course is very flat until you get to the 14th plenty of water to make up for it. It was great to play where the Ryder cup was staged the experience & everything but I just didn't like the course.

I might play the 2010 again but would rather play the Montgomery, it might just be me. Got a nice memento of my round to remind me of it.

Last edit : Fri 19th Sep 2014 23:14

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top