Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Belfry, which course?

Posted by: user559337 | Sun 14th Sep 2014 12:53 | Last Reply

Hi

We are about to book the belfry for a round. Which course do you recommend? The brabazon or PGA one?

I think I am keen to play brabazon because of the history. Was all the Ryder cups played on this one?

Any reason to choose the other?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Last edit : Sun 14th Sep 2014 12:53
re: Belfry, which course?
user24437
Reply : Sun 14th Sep 2014 22:46

Depends what you want Sam. The Brabazon is undoubtedly the most iconic and has some very good holes, but for an all round course the PGA is probably a sterner test with more variety. Having said that the last time I played the PGA it wasn't in as good condition as usual - a bit tatty and the greens were a bit rough. The Brabazon can get very busy as well and they often do shotgun starts which is a bit of a pain. Better to do both....

Last edit : Sun 14th Sep 2014 22:46
user53837
Reply : Mon 15th Sep 2014 11:22

Given the history it's definitely worth playing the Brabazon at least once.

Similar to what Tim's said the PGA is a course worth playing.

Last edit : Mon 15th Sep 2014 11:22
user99350
Reply : Mon 15th Sep 2014 13:14

I was fortunate to play both last year and though the Brabazon was great I thought the PGA was better. It is a tougher course IMO.

Last edit : Mon 15th Sep 2014 13:14
user421298
Reply : Wed 17th Sep 2014 11:21

Played the brabazon earlier this year & I found it a great course with some iconic holes 10th & 18th which I managed both to mess up on😩.also the condition off the greens were excellent, like glass. Will try to get back one day and maybe play the others😊 better take the wife this time for a spa though lol

Last edit : Wed 17th Sep 2014 11:21
user23669
Reply : Fri 19th Sep 2014 23:58

Having played both over time I enjoyed the PGA better, that said the Brabazon has the aura from the Ryder cup fixtures.

As a rule on the Brabazon hit it long walk up to ball & hit it long again & ten chip on in most cases for me in 4 visits

Last edit : Fri 19th Sep 2014 23:58
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 20th Sep 2014 00:25

I was a member for two years so feel justified in my opinion!

The Brabazon is a great Matchplay course but fairly average as a strokeplay. I would say six great holes, six decent holes and six pretty average holes (though these would be good risk/reward Matchplay holes). I think you do need to play it at least once though for those six great holes (3, 7, 10, 18 stick in the mind)

My favourite of the three courses is the PGA and it's the one I would play if I went back tomorrow. As others have said, a stern but fair test that make you think about your next shot. Again some great holes (4 is one of my favourite golf holes, 8, 10, 12 thru 16) and only a couple that don't jump out as good

If you're getting one of the two round deals, book the PGA and the Brabazon but avoid the Derby as you'll be disappointed

Last edit : Sat 20th Sep 2014 00:25
user442187
Reply : Mon 22nd Sep 2014 07:36

Brabazon is amazing and been fortunate to play it twice. PGA is a tough test where accuracy is key

Last edit : Mon 22nd Sep 2014 07:36
user355304
Reply : Mon 22nd Sep 2014 18:30

Played all 3 courses in July and tbh was a bit disappointed by the condition of the Brabazon.For a premier course it seemed odd to see grass growing in the middle of many of the bunkers and although fantastic,the greens were not as good as the pga.

Last edit : Mon 22nd Sep 2014 18:30

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top