Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What can I do to be a better golfer?

Posted by: user587636 | Sat 6th Sep 2014 16:18 | Last Reply

I would love to be able to aleast be able to play to my handicap, I am crap. I don't want to win everything just to be able to compete, any ideas

Last edit : Sat 6th Sep 2014 16:18
re: What can I do to be a better golfer?
user80078
Reply : Sun 7th Sep 2014 09:24

Surely you must have played to a certain standard in order to gain your handicap. Are you saying your game has dropped off since this time? I would advise that you lower your sights for a while and just enjoy this wonderful game. You might find that with a more relaxed approach, your game will come back. Good luck!.

Last edit : Sun 7th Sep 2014 09:24
user587636
Reply : Sun 7th Sep 2014 09:36

Thanks buddy

Last edit : Sun 7th Sep 2014 09:36
user48341
Reply : Sun 7th Sep 2014 09:36

I'm no golfing guru - as my handicap of 17! shows - but it does look as though your mindset might be part at least part of the problem. Presumably, if you've got an official or Golfshake handicap, you must have played to a better standard than you feel you're achieving now. So, what has gone wrong? What aren't you doing now that you once did? What are you doing now that you've never done before? Are you trying too hard to knock the skin off the ball? Is your mind awash with too many "swing thoughts" whilst you're trying to drive the ball consistently? Are you taking on too many difficult longer iron approach shots and scuffing the ball 25 yds instead of taking a 7 to 9 iron and a wedge and being sure of being where you want to be?

My recommendation would be to get hold of one or two of Dr Bob Rotella's very readable books on golf "between the ears" - e.g. "Golf is not a game of perfect" and I'd be very surprised if you don't soon develop a much more positive mindset - and find your game improving as a result. Best of luck!

Last edit : Sun 7th Sep 2014 09:36
user587636
Reply : Sun 7th Sep 2014 09:40

Great Idea thank you Peter appreciate it

Last edit : Sun 7th Sep 2014 09:40
user48341
Reply : Sun 7th Sep 2014 10:01

I'm no golfing guru - as my handicap of 17! shows - but it does look as though your mindset might be part at least part of the problem. Presumably, if you've got an official or Golfshake handicap, you must have played to a better standard than you feel you're achieving now. So, what has gone wrong? What aren't you doing now that you once did? What are you doing now that you've never done before? Are you trying too hard to knock the skin off the ball? Is your mind awash with too many "swing thoughts" whilst you're trying to drive the ball consistently? Are you taking on too many difficult longer iron approach shots and scuffing the ball 25 yds instead of taking a 7 to 9 iron and a wedge and being sure of being where you want to be?

My recommendation would be to get hold of one or two of Dr Bob Rotella's very readable books on golf "between the ears" - e.g. "Golf is not a game of perfect" and I'd be very surprised if you don't soon develop a much more positive mindset - and find your game improving as a result. Best of luck!

Last edit : Sun 7th Sep 2014 10:01
user466742
Reply : Sun 7th Sep 2014 17:37

Practice your short game & work backwards to the tee from there....that's the 'quickest' (easiest) way to lower scores anyway. Or, and this is the best advice you'll probably ever get regarding golf....go and get a lesson or 6.

Last edit : Sun 7th Sep 2014 17:37
user587636
Reply : Sun 7th Sep 2014 17:39

Thank you Andrew sounds great advise

Last edit : Sun 7th Sep 2014 17:39
user608387
Reply : Sun 21st Sep 2014 17:24

I started. Playing not long ago and was struggling so decided to pay for lesson wow the teacher video my swing and no wonder I wasn't hitting ball..I would reconmend lessons.i ain't no golf pro by any Menes but my golf is I,proving round from round.dnt set ur sights to high..forget scores for a while..I try to focus on how many fairways I've hit or how many greens and stuff like that..most importantly I think is I enjoy it it's fun

Last edit : Sun 21st Sep 2014 17:24
user587636
Reply : Thu 25th Sep 2014 07:12

Great Idea lessons I had a couple half hour lessons but to be honest forgot it as soon as the phone rang. I think I could do with something a bit more intensive.

Last edit : Thu 25th Sep 2014 07:12
user246701
Reply : Thu 25th Sep 2014 11:49

Maybe one of your offspring has some tips David

Last edit : Thu 25th Sep 2014 11:49
user587636
Reply : Thu 25th Sep 2014 12:00

David as you know is All American and at college in Texas his day starts at 06.00 hours Gym and breakfast 09.00 to 13.00 lessons lunch and 14.00 golf course back at 18.00 dinner 19.00 to 22.00 hours on line lessons weekends competitions. Not much time to help me he also has to ge A & B's

Last edit : Thu 25th Sep 2014 12:00

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top