Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

one of those days

Posted by: user425315 | Wed 3rd Sep 2014 15:49 | Last Reply

i was lucky enough to play golf yesterday on the London Air Ambulance (a client of mine) golf day at Foxhills in Surrey and i can only say that i wished i had come to work as my golf was truly awful. Playing off 14 (cut to 3/4's due to the format) i managed a pathetic 17 points - 5 of those on the last 2 holes! I had no more that 12 decent shots during the whole round and can honestly say that it was probably my worst round of golf for 10 or so years. Every part of game was crap which is odd as i can usually rely on something working to help me out but not yesterday. I was so down that on the way home i was thinking of sticking my clubs on ebay!

Last edit : Wed 3rd Sep 2014 15:49
re: one of those days
user430247
Reply : Wed 3rd Sep 2014 22:20

come on now ,,,i play with a lad like that if he has say 3 bad rounds he goes off on one (lol) just give your clubs a good clean and get out there again ,,

Last edit : Wed 3rd Sep 2014 22:20
user43763
Reply : Wed 3rd Sep 2014 23:53

write it off and take satisfaction knowing youve had your worst of the year.

Out of curiosity, have you played 3/4 handicap before? do you think you adapted expectation to the adjusted handicap? maybe put more pressure on yourself?

Just think its worth learning from the experience and share it with us, never played the adjusted handicap before so i wouldnt know

Last edit : Wed 3rd Sep 2014 23:53
user477305
Reply : Thu 4th Sep 2014 10:30

I had one of those days last weekend. I had been playing great golf and had scored between 33 and 40 points for the last 5 or so rounds, so my handicap had dropped a decent amount. But last Sunday I only managed 20 points, I wasn't even playing terribly, I just had 1 shot on every hole that would ruin it for me. One hole i would slice my drive, 3 off the tee, next hole i drive well then thin a chip through the green etc. It happens and part of golf is learning to deal with it.

With regards the the 3/4 handicap I've playedit on Golfshake events. I did find it pretty stressful. I think I was about a 22 handicap at the time, so suddenly im losing 5/6 shots. And the standard of courses that you play on that tour you can really notice it on the harder holes. That being said once you start getting your handicap down I think that you notice it less.

Last edit : Thu 4th Sep 2014 10:30
user425315
Reply : Fri 5th Sep 2014 11:33

i have played off the 3/4 handicap before and in all honesty it doesn't bother me as i used to play off single figures in my teens.

I hit 1 fairway and only 3 GIR all day. i had no confidence in any club i picked up. looking back i think i was swinging too hard with my 3 wood and my ball positioning was slightly too far forward with my irons.

hopefully i will be able to sort it out over the weekend with a nice 6.30am tee off somewhere so it'll be quiet enough for me to get a bit of practice in

Last edit : Fri 5th Sep 2014 11:33
user598961
Reply : Fri 5th Sep 2014 12:54

I've had more than one round recently where I've felt like that Alun. The best thing to do is get back out as soon as possible and just put it down to a bad day

Last edit : Fri 5th Sep 2014 12:54
user217280
Reply : Tue 9th Sep 2014 17:16

Probably tried to hard and went out to shoot 40 points off 3/4 handicap, if you shoot 32- 36 points off your full handicap, it stands to reason that you probably won't do the same off 3/4 handicap, if you had started with a mindset that 26 to 30 points would be an ok round, you may not have played so bad, invariably trying to hard in golf brings in tension and playing on a course you are not familiar with adds to that tension, and there's the bad round of golf, next time try going out to enjoy the day with a realistic score in mind and you may find you will surpass your expectations.

Last edit : Tue 9th Sep 2014 17:16

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top