Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

handicaps

Posted by: user599417 | Tue 5th Aug 2014 14:02 | Last Reply

hi, just joined site as i want to get a handicap certificate without joining a club,i have a corporate membership at shendish manor but they will not issue certificates. can anybody tell me if clubs recognize the certificates that are issued on here as official-and can you then enter there competitions , or are they refusing to allow you as it is not issued by a club

Last edit : Tue 5th Aug 2014 14:02
re: handicaps
user354092
Reply : Tue 5th Aug 2014 14:48

Hi John,

Welcome to the site!

The vast majority of clubs in Europe will accept a Golfshake handicap as a recognition of playing ability, but it is not a CONGU handicap, so a club would not accept for a club competition.

Last edit : Tue 5th Aug 2014 14:48
user487847
Reply : Tue 5th Aug 2014 17:58

I was wondering this also, as I was considering playing the Belfry at some point. I read they require proof of a handicap. I guess they would accept my handicap from this website as legit to play that course?

Last edit : Tue 5th Aug 2014 17:58
user249902
Reply : Tue 5th Aug 2014 18:09

Jake, I've never been asked for a handicap certificate at the Belfy. Unless your playing the Brabazon you should be ok

Last edit : Tue 5th Aug 2014 18:09
user24437
Reply : Tue 5th Aug 2014 18:27

I've played the Belfry PGA and Brabazon courses quite a few times and never been asked for proof of handicap. I have, however, seen a group of players have several attempts at teeing off on the PGA and have the starter politely suggest that maybe sirs would be better off playing the Derby...

Last edit : Tue 5th Aug 2014 18:27
user487847
Reply : Tue 5th Aug 2014 18:32

Thanks for the replies, guys. Must have read some misinformation.

Last edit : Tue 5th Aug 2014 18:32
user600389
Reply : Wed 6th Aug 2014 19:23

This website is on the approved list of St. Andrews. I've just received it today as we are booking for next April.

Hope this helps!

Last edit : Wed 6th Aug 2014 19:23
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 8th Aug 2014 13:39

Hi guys, we get asked this a lot all the time. If you are looking to play in any competition/event that is described as requiring an 'official' handicap in someway ie Open Club Competitions then you will 99% of the time require an 'official' club handicap which can only be obtained from an affiliated golf club. Open golf clubs are by design for visiting club members hence the requirement on an official golf club handicap.

The handicap we provide is widely recognised and accepted as proof of your playing ability and used by 10000s of golfers and 1000s of societies.

When it comes requiring proof for your golf handicap for clubs that stipulate handicap limits then our handicap will be accepted 99% of the time at courses such as The Belfry, La Manga, Carousite and St Andrews (Old Course) etc

Hope this helps.

Last edit : Fri 8th Aug 2014 13:39
user599417
Reply : Mon 11th Aug 2014 12:48

hi, thanks for clearing that up for me darren, it just seems unfair that you have to be a member of a club to be able to join in any club competitions,around here the cheapest is about £800 but as i am a corporate member at another course i would rarely play there and that makes it a very expensive handicap card

Last edit : Mon 11th Aug 2014 12:48

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top