Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Should I count these rounds

Posted by: user477305 | Mon 4th Aug 2014 13:53 | Last Reply

Hi all,

So one of my friends is just getting into golf so has asked me to start taking him out when I can. We have agreed to start playing a local course (Barnehurst for those who are interested) as it is both cheap and fairl easy. Perfect for him to learn on. We played our first round there yesterday and I scored 42 points.... I don't even think that I played that well! There are at least 4 par 4's that are 240 or less so for me thats 4 iron gentle wedge. There aren't really any tough holes and I just don't see any challenge there. My question is: Should I count these rounds that I play with my friend and track them in my handicap? Or do you think that is just going to artificially reduce it until I start playing off of a number that is probably unachievable for me?

P.S. If you check my most recent round on GS you will see how I did, it doesn't list it as 42 points on there as I actually submitted a score just before that was wrong (I put in my points instead of strokes by mistake), and it had me playing off of 10 when I submitted this round. It's know been adjusted but hasn't altered my points unfortunately. Anyway I was net 14/15 over playing off of 20 (and playing averagely), you get the idea.

Last edit : Mon 4th Aug 2014 13:53
re: Should I count these rounds
user25808
Reply : Mon 4th Aug 2014 15:52

Hi Chris it's up to you how you track your scores and handicap. I only handicap track qualifying scores at my club, I don't count social rounds for my handicap.

Looking at Barnehurst GC there are a lot of scorecards listed with the SSS being between 0 and 7 shots lower than PAR, so shooting 42 points could mean you shot 1 over handicap or 6 under depending on the correct PAR/SSS.

What was the PAR/SSS on the card you used?

Last edit : Mon 4th Aug 2014 15:52
user477305
Reply : Tue 5th Aug 2014 10:32

Hi Adrian. The course was par 68 SSS 64. Excuse my ignorance but is that taken into account during handicap calculations?

Last edit : Tue 5th Aug 2014 10:32
user25808
Reply : Tue 5th Aug 2014 11:32

It is Chris. So 40 points would be to handicap on that course.

The SSS is always taken into account if a CSS is not available.

The formula to get your nett differential for your round is;

36 points(playing to handicap) - 42 points(your score) + 68(par of course) - 64(SSS/CSS) = -2

You played 2 under handicap

Last edit : Tue 5th Aug 2014 11:32
user477305
Reply : Tue 5th Aug 2014 12:03

Thanks Adrian! Always good to know.

Last edit : Tue 5th Aug 2014 12:03
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 10th Aug 2014 18:46

I put every round of golf I play on here.

Even if I'm out on my own (like I was today).

The only problem with this is it leads to you having two handicaps, the golfshake one and my official club handicap.

Russ

Last edit : Sun 10th Aug 2014 18:46

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top