Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Clubs stolen whilst playing?????

Posted by: user397466 | Fri 1st Aug 2014 03:31 | Last Reply

Hi there, whilst playing on a golf course that for now should remain nameless my clubs were stolen as I stood on a green. Two people (I use this term loosely) came over the hill on a motorbike, grabbed my trolley and pulled it over the fairway and out of sight leaving me stunned and feeling violated on the green. The sheer audacity of some people beggers belief but more importantly to me was the fact that it took me 3 years of my life to get the setup I wanted only for it to disappear in seconds and the fact that although the golf course knew about this problem they showed no interest in my plight until I said I would post on forums and then they said they would lend me an old set until I could replace mine. My question now is am I alone? or are there an increasing number of us that have had this happen? Comments welcome

Last edit : Fri 1st Aug 2014 03:31
re: Clubs stolen whilst playing?????
user88724
Reply : Fri 1st Aug 2014 11:33

Warren, That's awful! I hope that you are insured? Otherwise, if you can definitively establish that the club knew about the problem, and failed to display appropriate warning notices etc. then potentially you may have a claim against the club. The club will almost certainly be insured. If you do pursue a claim then remember to include the cost of club fitting. Such, if done thoroughly / properly can, in the case of modest priced clubs, exceed the cost of the clubs. Also include your travel expenses to the fitter, cost of 'phone calls etc. Such are all claimable but are likely usually omitted by amateur litigants. Claim 'new for old' unless the other side can make out a bona fide case why this does not apply. Good luck.

Last edit : Fri 1st Aug 2014 11:33
user451055
Reply : Fri 1st Aug 2014 13:49

That is a horrible thing to happen! I played in an away match last week and was shocked when 2 little scrotes ran out of the woods just after we played our approach shots to the first and nicked both our balls! I thought that was bad. I will be keeping a close eye on my clubs from now on when playing.

Last edit : Fri 1st Aug 2014 13:49
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 1st Aug 2014 17:35

Judy, It was at Middleton Park that some guys gave chase to scrotes that nicked their balls from a green only to see their clubs disappear into the woods.

Last edit : Fri 1st Aug 2014 17:35
user397466
Reply : Fri 1st Aug 2014 19:58

No sadly not insured and although I have never seen any signs apparently they are there, police were no help either as I know where they went but the authorities are not interested in going to the place where they are, bottom line I had to buy more with a crime number in my hand. The world we live in now I am afraid benefits the thief and penalises the honest.

Last edit : Fri 1st Aug 2014 19:58
user469358
Reply : Sat 2nd Aug 2014 14:25

Sorry to hear about this, its outrageous and a sad sign of the times we live in. Have you checked you house insurance policy, I think my clubs are covered on that.

Last edit : Sat 2nd Aug 2014 14:25
user469358
Reply : Sat 2nd Aug 2014 14:30

Incidentally I think you should name the course so that others can either avaoid it or be on their guard, especially as it seem the club in question seems to have been of little help.

Last edit : Sat 2nd Aug 2014 14:30
user88724
Reply : Sat 2nd Aug 2014 18:14

Security is extremely lax at most golf centres. How many golf centres have a security officer? Security cameras? I was on my club's driving range early afternoon today for an hour and saw two full bags of clubs on electric trollies left in the car park outside the club house entrance for the entire period. One car had the driver's door left wide open for most of that time. Few golfers were about as it had rained hard all morning. Two sets of golf equipment and a modern mid-sized saloon would have been easy pick ups. Golf centres are very easy targets for thieves. Beware.

Last edit : Sat 2nd Aug 2014 18:14
user596177
Reply : Sat 2nd Aug 2014 19:31

This thread just shows how important it is to have golf insurance which is not too expensive. All golf clubs say you play at your own risk so you will not get any joy from them. With so many little white missiles flying around they could cost you more than the loss of a few clubs.

Last edit : Sat 2nd Aug 2014 19:31
user451055
Reply : Mon 4th Aug 2014 13:03

Jeepers - David, you mean it could have been a ploy to nick our clubs? Actually, I think in this case, it was just kids being a pain in the butt. I was playing a Cobble Hall (Leeds Golf centre) by Roundhay Pk but no-one there or anyone else I have spoken too has ever had trouble there before. I think it was just a one off.

Last edit : Mon 4th Aug 2014 13:03
user592595
Reply : Fri 8th Aug 2014 11:24

Warren check your house insurance to see if you're covered. Can't believe someone actually had the audacity to nick your clubs like that. Will be keeping an extra eye out myself from now on. Not to name and shame the course but it might be useful for others to be aware if they're using the same course

Last edit : Fri 8th Aug 2014 11:24
user397466
Reply : Fri 8th Aug 2014 17:59

Hi there, possible right, the course was Cray Valley Golf Course in south east London. I have played there for some 25 years and this has never happened to me before but I will never play there again.

Last edit : Fri 8th Aug 2014 17:59
user425315
Reply : Mon 11th Aug 2014 17:26

the whole area around cray valley and its sister course ruxley is home to travellers. I have heard several stories about stuff being nicked from both courses. you often get the "locals" appearing on some of the holes out of sight from the clubhouse and just hacking about all over the place, even on the greens then walking off while drinking special brew or any other strong lager/cider etc. I only played there as a last resort but will avoid it like the plague now as my clubs are vintage and impossible to replace

Last edit : Mon 11th Aug 2014 17:26

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top