Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

still on 28

Posted by: user97088 | Mon 14th Jul 2014 18:55 | Last Reply

by using the golf shakes handicap system one of my golfers is on 28 as been for over a year on a good day he as scored 35,36, 36, 34,32,33 but his handicap still stays on 28, whereas my other golfer handicaps move maybe only -.01 or + 01 I would have thought my 28 handicapper might have come down by maybe 1 to 27 or lower can any of you guys out there help

Last edit : Mon 14th Jul 2014 18:55
re: still on 28
user309476
Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2014 19:02

36 pts is shooting to par for his hcp and the rest are over his hcp so he won't get a change. others on here will know more specifics but he needs to shoot a certain amount of shots under his hcp for it to actually get an adjustment.

Last edit : Mon 14th Jul 2014 19:02
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 15th Jul 2014 19:16

In order for your handicap to be cut you have to score (adjusted) below your handicap for the SSS of the course you are playing.

You can only ever score a double bogey plus your handicap. So if you have an eighteen handicap, you would get one shot per hole. So on a par four hole, if you shot a seven, it would be a seven. If you shot an eight, it would be a seven when adjusted. Par is four, you get one shot plus two shots, so the worst you could do is a seven

If the SSS of the course you are playing is 70, and your handicap is 18 you would be expected to shoot 88.

Now, let us say your adjusted score is the same as your total shots taken. If you shoot 87, you would be one shot under your handicap. an eighteen handicap golfer is a category three golfer, which mean each shot under his handicap his handicap will be reduced by 0.3

The buffer zone for a category three golfer is three, so if you shoot 88, 89 or 90 your score will be in the buffer zone and will not change.

If you shoot 90 or above your handicap will go up by 0.1. Handicaps can only go up by 0.1 per round no matter how bad the score is!

Category one golfer reduces by 0.1 for each shot under their handicap, and the buffer zone is 1 shot Category two golfer reduces by 0.2 for each shot under their handicap, and the buffer zone is 2 shots. Category three golfer reduces by 0.3 for each shot under their handicap, and the buffer zone is 3 shots. Category four golfer reduces by 0.4 for each shot under their handicap, and the buffer zone is 4 shots.

Remember, that it's the adjusted score that is used to calculate your new handicap.

Hope this helps, if not PM me and I'll try and explain it better.

Russ

Last edit : Tue 15th Jul 2014 19:16
user97088
Reply : Wed 16th Jul 2014 15:18

thanks Russell it seems the more info you get the more confusing the handicap system is, next week while we have a cold beer after golf I will go through it with them, look forward to some head scratching. thanks again

Last edit : Wed 16th Jul 2014 15:18

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top