Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Worst UK golf courses that you have played!

Posted by: user104204 | Sun 6th Jul 2014 09:44 | Last Reply

Last edit : Sun 6th Jul 2014 09:44
re: Worst UK golf courses that you have played!
user88724
Reply : Mon 7th Jul 2014 11:59

I'm tempted to name them. Some course officials really believe that they are doing their best and would be mortified to find themselves listed. Perhaps best to simply walk away and never return?

Last edit : Mon 7th Jul 2014 11:59
user48341
Reply : Mon 7th Jul 2014 19:44

How about "Least enjoyable" courses played, then?

My opening bid?

Bridlington GC back in Sept 2011 - Lots of "blind" shots in a bleak moonscape criss-crossed with hidden water channels and biting North Easterly winds, and greens that were bobblier than my old school pullover. (I see that things appear to have improved, of course, looking at more recent Golfshake reviews.)

Last edit : Mon 7th Jul 2014 19:44
user425315
Reply : Tue 8th Jul 2014 12:35

I played the Kent and Surrey golf course last year and while the course was good there were no course maps available in the shop nor were there hole any hole maps on the tees so as a first timer you had no idea where to aim on the dog leg holes!

Last edit : Tue 8th Jul 2014 12:35
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 9th Jul 2014 21:06

Have to say that possibly the worst golf course I have ever played is Mardyke Valley in Essex

Clubhouse was portacabins.

Practice ground was a bit of rough ground with possibly the oldest mats I've ever seen.

The course is boring, apart from the 17th hole which would grace any course in the country, if you want to see it look at any literature from Mardyke Valley and the hole they show is the 17th!

Tees, fairways and greens were basic.

It has been a couple of years since I last played there (in fact, it was a Golfshake Open Qualifier!) so things may have improved.

Russ

Last edit : Wed 9th Jul 2014 21:06
user23669
Reply : Mon 14th Jul 2014 00:56

I am not a fan of Crown golf courses as a rule. Not much to them to make them memorable recently play Milford and the only hole on the course I like was the 18th which has real character to it.

I would say that the worst course I have ever played is Dudmore Farm golf course in Christchurch.

If you want to clarify it to an 18 hole course then I would say it would be Chilworth Golf Club near Southampton.

Last edit : Mon 14th Jul 2014 00:56
user524891
Reply : Tue 22nd Jul 2014 02:22

Sadly I will say the Derby course at the belfry; I used to like playing it until they started treating it like the meat counter at Tescos.

It's really bad when the van driver tells you over 10 groups have walked off already when your being driven to the first tee.

Last edit : Tue 22nd Jul 2014 02:22
user553910
Reply : Mon 28th Jul 2014 20:33

Russ: Mardyke Valley is still absolutely awful. We switched a game there from Crews Hill during the rainy season earlier this year because we were told by the club that it had "drained well" whereas Crews Hill had 6 temps.

Maybe they meant to say they had "dug a well" on every fairway. There was no shortage of water features including several brand new lakes.

Aside from the conditions the course is plain, flat and ugly, some of the fairways look like cows have just been driven off, and the greens could actually use a tethered goat. I will never play there again.

Last edit : Mon 28th Jul 2014 20:33
user21179
Reply : Mon 28th Jul 2014 21:25

Hi Russ Maybe your playing partners at Mardyke had something to do with your opinion of the course ? I remember it with just as little affection in all honesty. However I have played what in my opinion is a worse course at Ferndown Forest in Dorset. Truly terrible lay out around the driving range ( which is not actually part of the course. ) I don't like to be negative about courses but it is just awful .

Last edit : Mon 28th Jul 2014 21:25

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top