Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf Grips at last Becoming More Classy?

Posted by: user88724 | Sun 29th Jun 2014 21:45 | Last Reply

Whilst browsing Carl Paul's 'Golf Clubmaking and Repair' 1984 book both the woods, the equipment, and club building equipment gives the impression of being a century old rather than a mere thirty years.

It must be immensely difficult for a newcomer to get into woods repair and restoration, let alone consider creating a new wood from a block of persimmon as the gear just isn't out there anymore. Or at least not generally available.

What should be a not to difficult job (for someone with steel-like forearms) - putting on a new leather grip using strip leather (on either a vintage or modern club) where would one source the grip's cap and bottom collar? They are not in the major catalogues. Sadly Caldwell leather grips appear to have gone bust as a couple of years ago I picked up a ton of their £22. pre-formed leather grips for around £5. each on eBay.

Interestingly some grips are still today made to receive a collar and others have a line or whatever to give the most superficial of impressions that a collar has been fitted.

But are things about to change? Is the collar about to make a comeback?

I see in Golfsmith's catalogue that both Winn grips, and some of the UST Mamiya range, embody both collars and caps albeit these will be integral and not seperate components. Classy.

It would be lovely for me to be able to source grip collars and routinely fit them. Yes, I could order 10,000 (maybe 100,000) to be designed and made in China but I'd need to live to 400 years old to satisfy China's minimum order requirement. And, if I offered them for sale who would buy bar vintage club restorers?

Hopefully when the golfing public see the more classy grips they may begin to chant:

"Ayup me duck the collar's missing on me bat!"

On silent nights the sound of chanting can echo far distances through the hills.

Last edit : Sun 29th Jun 2014 21:47
re: Golf Grips at last Becoming More Classy?
user235379
Reply : Sun 29th Jun 2014 22:28

Nothing lick the thwack of a persimmon club on a Dunlop 65i

Last edit : Sun 29th Jun 2014 22:28
user88724
Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2014 09:17

Alan,

I agree with you 100%!!!! Someone at the driving range I used to use tended to use his old Dunlop 65s - they would occasionally appear in my basket. Give them a clout and they would disappear off into the scrubland behind the range. Way longer than a normal modern ball. Perhaps because they are higher compression than today's generally lower compression balls?

I used them as a boy between 1963 and 1966, although I preferred Penfold Patents. Occasionally cutting them open to find several miles of wound elastic surrounding a sack of thick guey liquid.

Certainly for me one of the signs of becoming a better golfer was going an entire round without putting a cut in the skin.

I recall during that period that larger American sized balls (which we nowadays play with) being introduced and for a couple of years or so being able to choose what size of ball you used. For me the smaller ball travelled further, but the larger ball was easier to putt with.

The work that went into building a good wood was enormous and to nowadays be able to pick up pristine examples for a few pounds appears somewhat ridiculous. I used to carry 1,2,3, and 4 persimmons with of course their beautiful leather head covers.

I saved up and bought my Forecastle matched irons one at a time for three guines each £3.15 and had three or four part-time jobs after school in order to fund my golf. To put matters into perspective on leaving school my weekly wage was only £6.00 per week. I guess that a Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, or Arnold Palmer single iron would have cost over £5.00 each.

Nowadays I buy and collect fine examples and usually for very little outlay. What golfers today desire and expect has largely changed from craftsmanship to cheap and easy to play. Everyone to their own.

Would I turn back the clock if I could? Most definately. A par 5 hole should be a driver plus three wood plus 9 iron. Not a driver plus an iron.

Looking back to what players were using in those days there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that between 1960 and today Jack Nicklaus is the greatest player of all. Woods was very impressive but not in the Golden Bear's league by a long way.

Sorry to ramble.

Last edit : Mon 30th Jun 2014 09:17
user53837
Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2014 11:09

Interesting article here by Master Clubmaker Neil Cooke on the potential rise of Leather Grips:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/6949/Get_a_grip_Leather_v_Rubber.html

Last edit : Mon 30th Jun 2014 11:09
user53837
Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2014 11:56

Seems to also be a lot more options with grips these days.

Last edit : Mon 30th Jun 2014 11:56
user88724
Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2014 13:01

Some nice points made by Neil and, although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, leather looks more beautiful and classy than any other material.

It could very likely be that leather is softer than many rubber grips out there - certainly the very popular (and very hard) Golf Pride multi-compounds - it is countless times harder (however mounted) than say an Iomic Sticky. However set up, way too hard for me personally but everyone to their own. What is right for each player is what he / she says is right.

As for wet weather performance: I have yet to find any type of grip which performs well in the rain. My only answer is to keep any grip, glove, and right hand palm dry. Something I abysmally failed to achieve in this year's U.K. Longdrive Champs. with my driver twice flying out of my hands during an horrendous rain storm! In fact my driver travelled further than the ball.

I presently have the most gorgeous (almost pristine) set of Jack Nicklaus 'Champion 813' blades boasting ruby leather grips with silver stitching. If they (hopefully) don't sell I will play them myself. It will be an act of criminality to replace their grips, but at the end of the day the clubs need to be useable for their owner.

I love leather grips and wish from the bottom of my heart that I could play them. I'm pleased that Neil loves them so much. They work for him so are the best choice for him. I respect that.

Last edit : Mon 30th Jun 2014 13:01

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top