Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Bending an Iron - How far will it go.

Posted by: user250721 | Wed 25th Jun 2014 20:15 | Last Reply

In my bag at the moment I have a PW which was part of my iron set that is 44 degrees.

Then I have a SW that is 56 Degrees which I dont use as I have 52, 56 and 60 degree wedges.

As I want to cover the gap between the PW at 44 and 52 wedge I was wondering if it would be possible to bend my unused SW from 56 to 48?

Cheers in advance.

Last edit : Wed 25th Jun 2014 20:15
re: Bending an Iron - How far will it go.
user88724
Reply : Wed 25th Jun 2014 22:50

No more than a 2 degree change in loft is recommended.

When you bend the hosel toward or away from the face plane you open or close the club’s face angle. This will change the playing loft of the club by changing the trajectory of the ball but it will potentially cause misdirected shots.

Also, bounce is changed in direct proportion in a one to one ratio. Thus reduce loft by 2d and one likewise reduces bounce by 2d. Not usually a major issue with modern irons but certainly an issue with flatter soled vintage irons.

My views on the knock on effect to shaft stress by bending hosels as yet cannot be proven by me. There are other possible adverse knock on effects of twisting anything out of its true engineering kilter.

A bending bar is somewhat like a hand gun: In the hand's of a responsible owner nice to know it's there as a do or die last resort fix (subject to law permitting), but sadly many owners ache to pull the trigger given any opportunity. Thus as a general rule bending any kind of golf head should only be done with extreme caution, and as a last resort

Last edit : Wed 25th Jun 2014 22:50

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top