Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ben Hogan's Own 1953 Irons Auctioned

Posted by: user88724 | Tue 24th Jun 2014 09:24 | Last Reply

B.H's. own set of 1953 MacGregor Irons fetched $42,551.15 in auction.

http://www.greenjacketauctions.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=11726#pic

The high lead tape on the backs of the irons is extremely interesting. Clearly an attempt to raise their centre of gravity and keep the ball down. A concept not totally endorsed by his own brand until the release of his 'PC' (percussion centre) irons in 1984 - 31 years later. And never repeated again. Not surprising as today's irons (by all manufacturers) tend to be sole weighted to enable everyone's great grannie to get the ball airborne.

Notice also that the hosels are pinned, and the four part ferrules. It's a mixed set, evidenced by a 2.5" hosel whilst the others are 3". Something to be careful with if you collect B.H. irons. For example the 1966 'PC5' range had 3" hosels, and the 1967 'PC5' range 2.5" hosels. Sellers get confused and accidentally state the wrong model and / or the wrong year both on and off eBay. I've recently purchased a PC5 2 iron. A beauty to behold.

Hogan's knowledge concerning both the golf swing and club design was years ahead of its time, and sadly the latter was either never fully understood or understood but rejected by golf manufacturers. I was a few years ago fortunate enough to meet a gentleman who knew Hogan well. He informed me how he drilled holes in his persimmon drivers and inserted weight in them for increased power.

I guess that the amazing sum paid for his irons is yet another tribute to the legend.

ALSO GOOGLE: Ben Hogan Irons end up in Aberdeen (Aberdeen, USA) as link not working.

Last edit : Thu 26th Jun 2014 07:32

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top