Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

For Those Who Think That Latest Irons Are The Best....

Posted by: user88724 | Sun 22nd Jun 2014 18:43 | Last Reply

Just found a MINT set of 1954 Arnold Palmer clubs on eBay. (item: 170893539870) Does anyone honestly believe that the manufacturing quality of golf irons has improved over the last 60 years? Not me.

Last edit : Sun 22nd Jun 2014 18:45
re: For Those Who Think That Latest Irons Are The Best....
user338942
Reply : Tue 24th Jun 2014 12:40

Blimey - didn't realise equipment endorsements like that were happening back in the mid-50s

Last edit : Tue 24th Jun 2014 12:40
user565751
Reply : Thu 26th Jun 2014 19:45

I honestly do think equipment has gotten better over the past 60 years. Both balls and sticks have butt hole. What say you???

Last edit : Thu 26th Jun 2014 19:45
user88724
Reply : Sat 28th Jun 2014 11:47

Micah,

I largely agree with you with regard to equipment in general (but I specifically referred to golf irons) and in particular personally believe that battery operated trollies are absolutely wonderful notwithstanding that most or all lack power on severe hills. As a result of this invention an old timer can take as much paraphernalia onto the course as a tour pro. But, one and two irons appear to have been replaced by six packs!

And yes, shafts have improved by light years with the introduction of 'graphite.'

As regards balls. That is debateable and a somewhat complex issue. 1960's balls were made for 1960s equipment and modern balls made for modern equipment so it can get confusing comparing developments.

Nevertheless, I submit that most simple golf bits and pieces have severely gone downhill in quality. Let me cite two examples:

I recently unsuccessfully tried to acquire a couple of things which were readily available in the 1960s - a quality tee holder and a quality ball cleaner.

To put matters into perspective:

I use 3.25" tees (sometimes 4") and the stems are unusually wide / strong. Fifty years ago I would have been able to buy a tee holder which was a stretchy rubber block which would have not only held two dozen tees but more particularly tees of most any length and type. And for the price of a few pence.

Yes, I've managed to pick up a ball cleaner (an open topped rubber well with a synthetic sponge in it) but 50 years ago it would have been a double sponge (two wells inside a rubber brown coffin) with a fastened top to it to keep in the moisture. The sponge would have been far better quality and absorbent.

But, returning to my theme - irons - there is a massive U.S.A. golf forum where many thousands gather (but not me as I've been barred without any explanation) and such include countless players who have been playing golf at a respectable level for over 50 years.

There are numerous threads there on which have been the best irons made over the years. Early Ben Hogan irons feature heavily and essentially the vast majority of irons favoured were made in the 1960s and 70s. Having said that quite a number pay compliment to MP32s and MP33s.

Paying tribute to a brand of golf irons can be extremely difficult. Who gets the tribute - the designer, the manufacturer, or the player whose name appears on the head? And, manufacturers and designers sub-contract work out. The end result can be a labyrinth of illusion wrapped in secrecy agreements.

One legendary golfer (I don't consider it appropriate to name him) reputedly stormed into the manufacturers one day declaring "Why are we making the worst golf clubs in the world!"

Take a look at the Kenneth Smith Golf Company. They have designed clubs for numerous companies but are not so well known on this side of the pond. Pick up a Ben Hogan set of 'Apex' irons and who thinks 'Kenneth Smith genius?' www.mygolfmuseum.com (tab: Kenneth Smith)

Last edit : Sat 28th Jun 2014 11:47

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top