Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

GPS

Posted by: user590162 | Fri 20th Jun 2014 15:33 | Last Reply

Hi guys im looking into a gps watch everything is shouting Garmin but ive heard overpriced and limited said a few times, any advice or what you guys are using. Cheers Dave

Last edit : Fri 20th Jun 2014 15:33
re: GPS
user246701
Reply : Sat 21st Jun 2014 07:03

Apart from skycaddie I don't know of any of the other manufacturers that have correctly mapped my course. We are in a state of chnage with new holes having been introduced a few years and a couple of existing holes being redeveloped with a ditch and new bunkering, and the hole ordering slightly modified. The modifications were in place last May, and only skycaddie shows the correct order at a the moment. On the garmin that I have seen (which was updated over Xmas time) it doesn't include the of our holes in the round, so at that point you are playing blind.

Skycaddie are coming back next month before some further changes are reintroduced and will be mapping those changes again.

Obviously the small yearly charge is a bit issue to many but for the correct details its invaluable, and the cost is only a box of balls, so hardly going to break the bank.

Last edit : Sat 21st Jun 2014 07:03
user473042
Reply : Sun 22nd Jun 2014 11:36

Hi David We'll I bought my self a bargin garmin s1 for. £32 on eBay and works a treat for me

Last edit : Sun 22nd Jun 2014 11:36
user28838
Reply : Fri 27th Jun 2014 13:08

I have had my Garmin S1 Approach watch for 3 years now - I can't recommend it highly enough. It only gives distance to front, middle and back of green (not bunkers, water hazards etc) but that's enough for my needs.

Last edit : Fri 27th Jun 2014 13:08
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 30th Jun 2014 13:58

Garmin is great. Personally for a hacker like me I love the simplicity of devices like the Garmin watch & Skycaddie Aire that just provide me quick data for the green distance including Front, Middle, Back.

I find it hard enough trying to hit anywhere on the green to worry about how far a tree, bunker or bush is

Last edit : Mon 30th Jun 2014 13:58
user590162
Reply : Tue 1st Jul 2014 12:20

well after much more research im thinking Garmin S4 with all its extras to help me stay out of hazards and in boundary's, thanks guys.

Last edit : Tue 1st Jul 2014 12:20

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top