Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Dress Code vs No Dress Code

Posted by: user591770 | Wed 18th Jun 2014 14:21 | Last Reply

Hi there,

I've been playing golf now for well over 15 years, all along the south coast of England. Since starting, i've played at a number of different places with different sets of etiquette, rules & regulations.

One of the topics of hot debate at the moment is whether there should or shouldn't be a dress code? A number of clubs still enforce a full dress code of collared shirts, tailored shorts etc etc. However, a number of clubs are breaking this and opting to allow jeans, t-shirts etc.

My most recent club is Golf At Goodwood: http://www.goodwood.co.uk/golf-at-goodwood/golf-at-goodwood.aspx

Although this place takes pride on its heritage, with Justin Rose being an ambassador you're allowed to wear jeans, bring your dog on the course, and is fairly laid back...

Other courses along the coast are extremely strict, and won't even let you on the course unless your shoes have a certain shine...

What are people's thoughts on this? Should the dress code go, or should it stay?

Last edit : Wed 18th Jun 2014 14:22
re: Dress Code vs No Dress Code
user88724
Reply : Wed 18th Jun 2014 17:00

Standards in all walks of life have plummeted and usually need to bottom out before life is re-appraised. We see this in street dress, coupled with various forms of self-abuse (eg. tattoos) and failure to keep tidy (eg. too lazy to shave).

Golf dress is a few paces behind but likewise on the same slippery slope. Dress codes are set by committees in two minds: Will we attract members by maintaining standards, or push them away?

Philosophy aside how can one say that one uniform is better than another? And tidyness is hard to objectively define.

The irony in golf is that if one were to dress up as a clown, as many golfers do, one could waltz onto the course with impunity. Yet wear a smart pressed T shirt and one could be in trouble. ??????

I once recall competing in a longdrive competition in N. Pennsylvania and the heat was so oppressive I was very close to collapse. I asked for permission to wear an athlete's vest (which I practice in) and was refused notwithstanding that we were not on a golf course and essentially it was an athletics event.

Whilst I endorse tidyness and like to see it on a golf course I believe that dress codes essentially need to go, but that males must wear tops and ladies panties (when wearing short skirts) as there must be extreme limits which are unacceptable.

We live in an over-regulated country, and a T shirt never killed anyone.

Last edit : Wed 18th Jun 2014 17:00
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 18th Jun 2014 17:44

It is down to each individual Golf Club and their Rule should be respected. If you want to wear jeans and a tee shirt on the course then find one that allows it and don't complain if the course you want to play doesn't allow them.

Last edit : Wed 18th Jun 2014 17:44
user250721
Reply : Wed 18th Jun 2014 21:11

Is an interesting topic.

Jeans and Tee shirt for me have no place on the golf course. Having said that Ive seen people look x10 smarter than those that stick to a dress code but look scruffy doing it.

Im sitting on the fence.

Last edit : Wed 18th Jun 2014 21:11
user540173
Reply : Thu 19th Jun 2014 17:10

As a woman, I do think a dress code on course is preferable however I disagree with it being over done. Most brands have advanced their materials so over heating shouldn't be too much of a problem especially here in the UK, the prices do need to drop though. Don't think theres any need to tuck shirts in if they are tailored to wear to outside the waistband and long socks with shorts... Give us a break! Ladies should be allowed mid thigh length shorts rather than knee length ones & all courses I've played recently havnt objected when I've worn said shorter shorts... Either that or I look Jimmy crankey due to being vertically challenged! Overall I do think the USA and Europe have a better more open minded view to golf wear, some of which looks great. While I don't agree with jeans on course I see no reason why they can't be worn on the range or in the clubhouse. UK & governing bodies need to remember that we are no longer in the era where only the upper crust play golf so get used to it & go with the flow Crusties!

Last edit : Thu 19th Jun 2014 17:10
user99350
Reply : Fri 20th Jun 2014 13:16

I really don't mind what people wear and it does irritate me when people are offended because they dislike what others wear. Get on with your game and save the fashion do's and donts off the premises.

Last edit : Fri 20th Jun 2014 13:16
user375014
Reply : Fri 20th Jun 2014 22:29

I just feel that if i'm playing a course that has very strict rules ie tucked in shirts i act in a way that the course and other players/members wants me to, i'm a guest playing their course. Equally if i play a course where i see jeans being worn then my judgement will be that actually i wont return to said course, as i find the dress code sets the bench mark for the type of person you attract to a course. You can guarantee the loud shouty guy will be the one in the jeans. Ive played recently and also seen guys without a t-shirt on at all in the sun but no one said a thing to him! I think there is no excuse in this day and age to not wear the correct gear for golf, esp now that there are is a lot more of a sporty looking range to shoes and shirts to wear and more choice for those jean wearing types like me. i personally enjoy trying to at least look like i know what im doing on the course by dressing smart.

Last edit : Fri 20th Jun 2014 22:29
user591770
Reply : Tue 24th Jun 2014 14:48

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe golf should look at setting environments that promote golfers do dress a certain way. Not necessarily set a specific code, but have a setting whereby people WANT to dress a specific way. If i go for dinner at a nice restaurant i wear a suit, if i went to a fast food chain i'd where anything...

Maybe this is the way forward

Last edit : Tue 24th Jun 2014 14:48
user601217
Reply : Wed 13th Aug 2014 12:38

I wear smart shorts and t shirt in this weather but I would wear trousers if asked.i have tattoos so hope I dont offend.

Last edit : Wed 13th Aug 2014 12:38
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 13th Aug 2014 16:54

I've no problems with people wearing what they want, within reason of course!

Football shirts and shorts are a no no for me on the golf course.

I've been to the driving range wearing jeans and it's so uncomfortable for me to swing a golf club whilst wearing them. If other people are happy to wear them then I'm OK with it.

It's the silly little rules that bother me.

Played Theydon Bois GC once on a red hot day, I had black shoes and black shorts, so put on a pair of black socks. The pro told me it was only white socks allowed! What is that all about?

Having your shirt tucked inside your trousers does look smart, but it wouldn't bother me if my playing partners had their shirts hanging out of their trousers.

I agree with what has already been said, it's not what you are wearing but how you wear it that matters. I've seen people with all the expensive golf clobber on and they looked a right mess.

Russ

Last edit : Wed 13th Aug 2014 16:54

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top