Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Driving high

Posted by: user586982 | Thu 5th Jun 2014 18:28 | Last Reply

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me with a problem I've always had with my driving. I use a 11 degree loft on my Callaway driver. I have a relatively fast down swing. The problem I have is that I seem to get incredible height on all my drives. I tend to hit around the 200 mark but feel if I could irradicate the height I may gain some distance. Is there a fix for this or am I doomed to always send my drives into orbit? Thanks.

Last edit : Thu 5th Jun 2014 18:28
re: Driving high
user106712
Reply : Thu 5th Jun 2014 21:08

I'm no expert (by a long chalk) but maybe a flatter swing might help !

Last edit : Thu 5th Jun 2014 21:08
user50843
Reply : Thu 5th Jun 2014 23:06

Hi Carl for me the best thing to do is go see a pro, the loft on your driver isn't excessive in my opinion so it could be any number of things. A pro should be able to spot the problem pretty quickly, and it's cheaper than buying a new driver.

Last edit : Thu 5th Jun 2014 23:06
user555155
Reply : Fri 6th Jun 2014 08:20

For me focusing on a straighter left arm for both the takeaway and the downswing helped shallow out the v shaped swing to more of a u shape which meant less hitting down and consequently less height.

Last edit : Fri 6th Jun 2014 08:20
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 6th Jun 2014 10:52

I naturally hit the ball high, but if I want to hit it low (into wind etc) then I just move the ball back in the set up and tee it lower. Trial and error on the range will help but also seeking expert help is a good thing.

Last edit : Fri 6th Jun 2014 10:52
user88724
Reply : Mon 9th Jun 2014 11:27

Ivan Sanders Reply : Mon 9th Jun 2014 00:45

Possibly:-

(a) Chopping your swing arc by switching weight too early from your right foot onto your left. Thus hitting down on the ball. And / or bending your left arm in attack. HIGHLY LIKELY.

(b) Throwing left shoulder and right hip hard down in attack too early and thus again hitting down on the ball. I would like to call this ' coming over the top' but won't as there are twelve or more different definitions of such. LIKELY

(c) A very strong R.H. grip ('v' between thumb and forefiger low towards the floor instead of pointing to the right shoulder) induces some players to open the face of the club on the downswing. POSSIBLE BUT RARE. THIS MORE OFTEN CAUSES A SNAP HOOK.

(d) Too much head loft. EXTREMELY UNLIKELY.

(e) Using a beginner's driver head with too low a centre of gravity. All mainstream drivers are beginners' drivers. A beginner's driver is likely the best way to go, provided that head loft is right. You driving distance suggests ideal loft as being in the region of 13d to 15d. Always insist that a retailer accurately measures head loft as it can be up to 2d out either way. HIGHLY UNLIKELY THE CAUSE.

(f) Hitting severely on the upstroke, but technically this is not a fault. Dynamic head loft increases the more one learns this advanced skill. ALMOST DEFINATELY NOT.

(g) Shaft releasing too early so that it is advanced at impact. In other words bent forward at impact - again increasing head loft. HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

(h) Striking the ball too high on the driver's face and thereby increasing face loft. YOU MAY BE DOING THIS BUT I WOULD EXPECT YOU TO NEED MORE LOFT THAN WHAT YOU ARE USING.

(i) Scooping the ball with your hands. HIGHLY UNLIKELY. THIS IS ESSENTIALLY A CHIPPING FAULT.

I have this morning received an e-mail from a potential customer advising how brilliantly a fitting centre brought down backspin by increasing shaft stiffness. This may do the trick but is definately the wrong way to go.

The shaft stiffness / shaft profile should be right for you irregardless of ball spin. Once the shaft is right then spin is adjusted through both technique and driver head.

Last edit : Mon 9th Jun 2014 11:27
user586982
Reply : Tue 10th Jun 2014 19:19

Thanks guys for all the advice. It's something I need to address sooner rather than later. Thanks

Last edit : Tue 10th Jun 2014 19:19

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top