Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Cack handed

Posted by: user433727 | Mon 26th May 2014 19:36 | Last Reply

I am curious if there are many cack handed players like me out there ie I use right handed clubs but use a left handed grip left below right as Ive never come across another and I am treated a bit like a freak by friends and others when they see it and getting coaching is impossible let me know of your experiences of this or any tips or am I the only Dodo left on this island?

Last edit : Mon 26th May 2014 19:36
re: Cack handed
user88724
Reply : Mon 26th May 2014 21:53

It's not unusual to see in Scotland. I believe that fellow member Dave Patrick is similary (in)disposed.

Last edit : Mon 26th May 2014 21:53
user106712
Reply : Tue 27th May 2014 12:59

A friend of mine was cack handed for years and never broke 100. He recently changed his grip (with a lot of persuasion) to orthodox and within a month won a club medal; 6 under par off 28. and has been pulled to 26.

Last edit : Tue 27th May 2014 12:59
user356537
Reply : Tue 27th May 2014 16:57

One of our scratch league players started playing as a junior with left handed clubs but gave the game up. He started playing again later in his life and this time had right handed clubs but kept his old grip meaning he plays with left below right.

He plays off 2 and is one of the steadiest players in the club.

If it works for you I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edit : Tue 27th May 2014 16:57
user433727
Reply : Tue 27th May 2014 17:03

Ive got it down to 15 so all is not bad just bought a set of nike coverts and doing away with my 1960 /70 blades so hopefully it will go down a bit more . but I did get some odd looks from the people fitting me for my clubs.

Last edit : Tue 27th May 2014 17:03
user565619
Reply : Thu 29th May 2014 13:11

Hi, I'm a 'cack-handed' player who finds it completely unnatural to hold/use a club the 'normal' way!.... I play tennis also, so that may be relevant.... I'm a relative newcomer to golf, playing for about 18 months, but find I can drive / iron the ball further than most people I play with, despite my 'disability' (not all about distance, I know!....)....am still on 28 handicap but pushing all the time....stick with it man, as you may spend a couple of years changing to, what is for you, an unnatural grip, & be no better off... cheers.

Last edit : Thu 29th May 2014 13:11
user511232
Reply : Mon 9th Jun 2014 20:57

i started that way but everyone told me to change, i did through allot of hard work and could never go back now, keep trying to change it will come if only in practise

Last edit : Mon 9th Jun 2014 20:57
user375014
Reply : Mon 9th Jun 2014 21:32

i found being cack handed has made no difference in my progression in golf and starting on 20 odd im now at 11 and its all about the feel for me, it feels so wrong gripping the club in the "normal" way but having being taught to hold a club by a lefty who didnt think to tell me it was a left hand grip, i couldnt change now. As for lessons or coaching is concerned most pro's are aware of cack handers and are actually really helpful as i guess they see the challenge of it, but most of the same rules of a golf swing still apply to a cack hander. You just have to work on repetition and consistant ball striking as most golfers do i suppose. I actually love it when i roll up at a packed first tee take a few practise swings and see peoples faces noticing my unusual swing, like sunday this weekend where i cracked a perfect 230 yard drive cutting over the lake onto the fairway, one guy said under his breath "thats what you need to do" So do what you think feels right as it will take awhile to change and to be honest i see no reason why you'd need to change.

Last edit : Mon 9th Jun 2014 21:32
user433727
Reply : Mon 9th Jun 2014 22:08

Its great to feel that I am not so much of a freak as I thought I was and as some have said there handicap is far lower than mine so I am persisting with my dodgy grip and my next target is 14 so having ditched my 30 odd year old blades I am off out with my brand new Nike irons and see how it goes lets hope its quicker than Rory took and wont have to dump the missus to get a result. all the best fellow golfers.

Last edit : Mon 9th Jun 2014 22:08
user425315
Reply : Mon 23rd Jun 2014 16:55

I started off playing both cricket and golf standing as a left hander but with a right handed grip. although I now play both as a "proper" left hander I am able to hit a golf ball right handed if needed - cant hit a cows @rse with a banjo as a right handed cricketer though!

Last edit : Mon 23rd Jun 2014 16:55

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top