Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Algarve tips?

Posted by: user4592 | Sat 17th May 2014 09:52 | Last Reply

Hello, I am off on a family holiday to the algarve at the end of next month and obviously want to get 2 or 3 rounds in while I'm there. Looking on the web it seems quite expensive so I am wondering if anybody who has been there has any tips for keeping the price down and best value for money courses to play. Is it better to book before I go and if so what are the best sites to use? Also is it better to rent clubs as it will be about £50 to take my own. Thank you in advance. Simon

Last edit : Sat 17th May 2014 09:52
re: Algarve tips?
user48341
Reply : Sat 17th May 2014 16:27

Hi Simon A number of us on here have been going out for a week to the Western Algarve each February for the last few years and make use of the Pestana Hotel chain's courses, for the most part (Pinta, Gramacho, Silves, Alto & Vila Sol). Although they're most affordably bought as a combined hotel & golf package (through any of the usual UK golf holdiay suppliers), you can book cheaper twilight rounds locally on a on off basis - usually after 2 or 2.30pm - if you need greater flexibility. A number of the newer courses (e.g. Morgado, Alamos. Salgados) have buggy and green fee deals, depending on the time of year you're going out there. Try this website for these deals:

http://www.algarvegolf.net/index2.htm

Sometimes golf shops over there will have their own deals with local courses. (e. In Alvor, the golf shop there offers early-bird rounds at Penina Championship resort for around 35 - 40 Euros pp.)

Finally, you can pick up a set of decent hire clubs for about the same money as the cost of taking your own on the plane - so it's up to you to decide what is most convenient for you, really. There are hire shops coveniently situated in Faro airport and in also in various resorts. You can also hire a pull trolley locally over there for around 10-12 Euros a week and an electric one for around 50 - 70 euros through local golf shops. (More expensive at the golf courses, of course.) Cheers, Peter W

Last edit : Sat 17th May 2014 16:27
re: Algarve tips?
user4592
Reply : Sat 17th May 2014 17:51

Thank you for that Peter. There are definitely a few good tips that I will check out.

Last edit : Sat 17th May 2014 17:51

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top