Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

thinking of new irons

Posted by: user489926 | Thu 24th Apr 2014 21:22 | Last Reply

Hi all, Iam thinking of replacing my irons this season and am wondering if anyone has any recomendations before i try some out? I have played with my ben ross quad speed irons for about 3 years now. The irons iam thinking of are ping g25, mizuno jpx 825 and taylormade rocketblades. any advice or comments are gratefully received!

re: thinking of new irons
user557408
Reply : Fri 25th Apr 2014 07:30

go have a fitting done u get to try different clubs and they find the right clubs for you . they test all sorts how you hit them swing speeds ball flight etc. i had a driver fitting got a ping g25 9.5 stiff best for me .

user88724
Reply : Fri 25th Apr 2014 08:15

Chris, Depends how open minded you are, and classy you want to get. I was looking at some vintage irons on eBay recently - possibly 70 years old and used for no more than a few rounds - everything original - beautiful twin colour leather grips. For a good player (blades) arguably just as good as anything on the market today. So I thought: 2-9 irons £130. Re-shaft with top quality shafts to my custom spec. (8 x Dynamic Gold £90.), re-grip with the highest traction grips to my exact size (8 x Iomic Sticky 2.3) £90. TOTAL: £310. So for so little money I could have some beautiful forged vintage CUSTOM built irons! Wow. Plus of course a few pounds if you need to pay someone to re-build. Say, total £400. Arguably worth to their proud owner say a thousand pounds. Too much trouble? That's one reason why the entire world and his dog have bags full of irons which takes Houdini to clean out their cavity backs. Such is life. Anyway, that's my personal plan for the future.

Last edit : Fri 25th Apr 2014 08:45
user43763
Reply : Fri 25th Apr 2014 09:04

I would say have an open mind and go get fit, fitting has to be the way to go, youd have to be mad to spend nearly £400 without trying them. Also depends on what you need out of an iron, I have the g15's and they are awesome so I can only assume they have improved and the g25's are a lot less ugly. I know the TMs have cranked lofts but that makes no odds to anyone. ive heard good things about the mizzys too, aren't they forged? againdoesnt really affect performance. after a fitting session youll know which ones you want, the numbers don't lie!

user379679
Reply : Mon 12th May 2014 02:09

I just bought Rocketbladez Tour and the Driver : RBZ . It s a last year model so they d give u much discount (that s one of the initial reason i biught it actually ,very good price good looks too ) I felt very comfortable with it. Especially the Driver . Good luck

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top