Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Spine alignment

Posted by: user89876 | Sun 20th Apr 2014 15:03 | Last Reply

I live near Liverpool/wigan, can anyone tell me where I can get my driver done?

re: Spine alignment
user88724
Reply : Mon 21st Apr 2014 19:58

Watcha Boyo (as we say in Wales), I'm just down the road from you (in the scheme of things - the universe is enormous), c. 106 miles away. Pop in to see me and I'll do the job for you for free with fast drying glue, and also train you how to do this work yourself. That could save you a lot of money over the years, and earn you some money if you also occasionally set other players' drivers up for them. I take it that you have a proper glued together driver, not one of those daft bolt together ones which one can win in 'hook the duck' competitions? If however you believe in God, and the power of prayer, then you may strike lucky and find one of the arguably small number of club builders doing the job properly locally. If so - well done. (It's hard to find any quality 'skilled' workers of any description/ trade). You may thereby save the price of 3-4 pints of best bitter. Very best wishes, I. P.S. the above is your prize for winning my monthly comp. Forgot to enter? Your entry gave the wrong answer? F.G.S. this was a GOLF comp!

Last edit : Tue 22nd Apr 2014 08:59
user89876
Reply : Mon 21st Apr 2014 20:44

Sadly ivn I have to disappoint you, I have the R1, that was going to be my next question....can adjustable drivers be done, I thought that if they could then you wouldn't be able to change the settings without losing the alignment, but it appears not

user88724
Reply : Tue 22nd Apr 2014 05:55

Alan, Interesting question.

CAN THEY BE DONE? Yes, most certainly. However the sleeve should really come off before the shaft is spine aligned. (The grip is always off). Some sleeves can be removed and re-used (metal ones) whilst others (plastic) melt once heat is applied to them. They have to be heated up in order to melt their glue before going into the shaft pulling machine. Your sleeve - I don't know if it would melt. Could it be spine aligned with the sleeve on? I have never done this. I have always spine aligned a shaft then glued on the sleeve. My theoretical answer is "Yes." I see no reason why strong accurate spine readings could not be obtained with the sleeve in situ. At the moment I don't have a hook a duck to so test. SPINE ALIGNMENT & SLEEVE SETTINGS: The way I custom build with sleeves is to find the shaft's reading I wish to work with (which I orient facing target - the pin) and then glue on the sleeve with a customer's chosen sleeve setting 90 degrees below such. Why 90 degrees? Because the sleeve setting mark is normally located on the rear of the hosel - such falls 90d below target line. WILL LATER ADJUSTING THE SLEEVE SETTING MIS-ALIGN THE SHAFT? Yes. IS THERE ANY POINT IN ADJUSTING THE SLEEVE SETTING? With regard to loft 'No.' Head loft cannot be adjusted via a sleeve. Why do I allege this? Sleeves were designed / invented by Tom Wishon. A very respectable / honest golf design engineer, however in this case he made a mistake - they don't work. With courage he published a lengthy technical article on a club builder's site confirming this. (Link below).

HYPERLINK: (Cut and paste in Google as it is not in hyperlink format below)

http://www.clubmakersguild.com/dmdocuments/twgt_adj_hosel_drivers.pdf

Last edit : Fri 25th Apr 2014 12:04

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top