Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Yellow ball phobia ?!?

Posted by: user246701 | Sat 19th Apr 2014 13:41 | Last Reply

KJ Choi is currently leading the PGA tour event using a Srixon Z-Star in Tour Yellow, I remember Tim Clark using one fairly recently, and Jim Furyk flirted with one for a while too. Various LPGA stars have used them to great effect this year too. Paula Creamer pulls out a pink Bridgestone on occasion too.

So what is the stigma that is attached to the yellow ball in golf?

I've used the Z-Star in yellow for a while now (although currently have the AD333 in the bag whilst the greens are still fairly soft), but I still get strange looks on the first tee when I declare my ball choice. Yet it's just a ZStar in a different colour ... Srixon's premier ball and yet people look at me like I've picked out Donnay Titanium from the bag. Surely people must realise that the old yellow balls are not the same as these new premium offerings (Bridgestone do some of the 330 range in yellow, Callaway do the HEX Chrome+ in yellow ... Titliest don't do a premium ball in yellow)

Is it just still the snob attitude of golfers showing its head, and the 20 handicappers picking out the new ProV1 from the sleeve only to hook it or top it off the tee?

Last edit : Sat 19th Apr 2014 13:42
re: Yellow ball phobia ?!?
user418412
Reply : Sun 20th Apr 2014 10:53

Personally not the greatest fan of yellow balls but that's just personal preference I don't have any preconceptions about them. I play with any old rubbish at moment from balls I find on course to cheap bargains off of ebay, as long as they look ok I'll use them. They are bound to end up lost somewhere pretty soon so why waste money that could be spent elsewhere. If I head out to our short course for a practice session I play with up to five balls of different colours, white, yellow, orange, pink and blue and I don't think they do anything different. I just find the white the easiest to find and prefer it when putting.

user430247
Reply : Sun 20th Apr 2014 20:43

i like the yellow balls and do use them a lot ,,and this my sound mad but i find i have a better game with the yellow ball ,

user80078
Reply : Fri 25th Apr 2014 10:48

I am quite happy using a yellow ball as long as it is a preferred brand. I like the high visual impact of a yellow ball and find it easier to pick out from distance and in light rough. That said I do tend to use them more over the winter months.

user580223
Reply : Fri 25th Apr 2014 16:12

I am sure I heard the commentators saying KJ had started to use them as he found it easier to pick up the flight of the ball. Something mature players have found easier to do. If it starts to make me putt better I will use the old Orange balls (Dad passed on an old bag this week with a bright Orange in the pocket, It almost blinded me!!!!).

user28838
Reply : Sun 4th May 2014 23:34

I love the bright orange balls (AD333) in autumn/winter - much easier (to my eye) to pick out amongst leaves or in the rough when the sun is low.

user306608
Reply : Mon 5th May 2014 20:02

Is it just still the snob attitude of golfers showing its head, and the 20 handicappers picking out the new ProV1 from the sleeve only to hook it or top it off the tee? a bit of handicap snobery there ?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top