Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Let Us Respect Both Sexes

Posted by: user88724 | Fri 18th Apr 2014 06:38 | Last Reply

I appreciate that my ultra modern trendy views are not appreciated by all, not least the radical view that male and females should be treated equally. Yet I am not alone – even in dangerous walks of life, more and more the female sex is given the chance it deserves – the police, fire service, even many of the world’s armed services.

Less and less we hear such nonsense like ‘women can’t drive,’ ‘women shouldn’t be allowed to be ultra runners,’ etc. Women can compete equally with men in most every skill not requiring extreme power, and I salute their gender.

Why then does amateur golf remain a bastion of antiquity in its belief that women are poorer players than men, even after batting off ladies’ forward tees? I refer of course to the discrepancy between maximum male and female handicaps.

Should both sexes be treated equally? If so, is amateur golf a fair game?

Last edit : Fri 18th Apr 2014 06:51
re: Let Us Respect Both Sexes
user246701
Reply : Fri 18th Apr 2014 10:23

Yes I agree with your proposal that men's handicaps should go upto 36 !

user88724
Reply : Mon 21st Apr 2014 20:04

Brian, Apart from your reply the deafening silence makes me chuckle. 'Equal rights' in the U.K. or let's say 'liberation' always tilts things heavily in one group's favour. Your suggestion is sound, logical, fair, neigh it breeds true equality. Can't you begin to imagine the utter confusion which such a suggestion could cause?

user99350
Reply : Tue 22nd Apr 2014 23:50

Perhaps 'people' are not too bothered either way?

user88724
Reply : Wed 23rd Apr 2014 08:06

I completely agree Patrick. People say and often legislate one way and then behave completely opposite. I usually face a wall of opposition when I claim that the handicap system is unfair. The majority claiming fairness. In that respect they are 'bothered.' By deduction therefore they are quiescently claiming that women are inferior players of golf or should receive special treatment simply because they are female. That is certainly not view, but it appears that I am wrong as not even a wimper from the ladies supporting my defence of them. I always knew that they like me to open car doors for them. Women's lib. has clearly died a natural death, leastways in golf. Or possibly men's lib. has not yet begun?

Last edit : Wed 23rd Apr 2014 08:27
user451055
Reply : Wed 23rd Apr 2014 08:59

Isn't the general consensus that if a lady and a chap are on the same handicap then the lady is considered the more skilled player?

Chaps can generally tonk it a good bit further than the lady so the lady needs a sharper game to attain the same handicap.

When I play mixed with the chaps hitting off their tees (behind the ladies tees) they still get further down the fairway despite the ladies tees being further forward so you do really need a more accurate and consistent game to attain the same handicap.

I have no real issue with chaps having handicaps up to 36, not aware of the reasons why not but I am glad ladies handicaps don't stop at 28. It took me a while to get past 28 so would have been a bit demoralised to not be able to have a chance of competing until then?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top