Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What Do We Each Want From Golf?

Posted by: user88724 | Wed 16th Apr 2014 11:12 | Last Reply

That’s an easy question for me: I want poetry.

I have led a torturous yet charmed life, I am able to find poetry wherever I look. But in sport it has assumed a beauty of its own:

In the distant past running so fast and effortlessly that one ‘floats’ over the ground, breathing no faster than normal, sliding through time and space and becoming at one with oneself. A deep meditation where high physical activity goes unnoticed and one becomes acutely soul-aware within an inner golden silence.

I found the same as a tenpin tour player, and nowadays equally so as a golfer.

Playing on my own shortly after first light; frost still on the greens; the only living thing on the course being me, my breath, and the wild animals relaxed and playing.

I am not selfish. I could share it, but it would take a silent friend who likewise loves the sound of a crisp shot out the centre of the club, and who sees the majesty in perfect ball flight, who smiles at the putt lines in the early morning dew.

Someone who would be pained by scoring, competition, and being otherwise distracted by superficiality.

Golf is a spiritual thing which possibly few golfers fully experience, perhaps seeing it as a sporting extension to their everyday highly competitive lives.

I am not anti-competition. Far from it! I LOVE competing. Just not all the time as such would dearly cost me. And that’s not a price which I’m willing to pay. But everyone to their own.

What turns you on in golf?

re: What Do We Each Want From Golf?
user80078
Reply : Wed 16th Apr 2014 16:33

Making that perfect shot. The one that fully achieves your aim, is made effortlessly, and feels oh so right! It doesn't come very often but when it does, it's what brings me back.

user298481
Reply : Thu 17th Apr 2014 13:48

any ball that comes right out of the middle, always does it for me, that and the fact that the guys in my sunday society are there every week, all year, rain snow hail ice whatever.

user451055
Reply : Thu 17th Apr 2014 14:32

You know that feeling when you have 3 or 4 holes to go and you know you have done a half decent round. It starts to become harder to concentrate and focus. Apparently you do get used to it and start to welcome it because it means you are playing well. I would like to get to that stage so I don't go to pieces at the end of a good round.

user477305
Reply : Thu 17th Apr 2014 15:42

That one perfect shot that you will have every few rounds. When your swing feels effortless, the ball does exactly what you want, and you know it looked f*cking awesome.

For me it sometimes happens when I hit a great 3 wood off of the deck, but it can be when you nail that long putt, and you see it all they way.

user502775
Reply : Thu 17th Apr 2014 21:07

The odd birdie and to have good competitive round with your playing partners and to have fun

user455045
Reply : Sat 19th Apr 2014 09:36

I love those effortless balls that you hit during practice with the Pro. For me I look for those shots every time I play( and they are beginning to come). My goal is still the same as it was when I started, that is to hit the ball straight.....all the time............. with the average distance for each club

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top