Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf Grip Mate Regripping Tool

Posted by: user578258 | Mon 7th Apr 2014 12:02 | Last Reply

Hi all,

I came across this video on youtube and it led me to the site below. My question is has anyone got or used this tool ? Looks like fun and also looks like it might save you a few quid too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXcTsZeKpaE

http://www.golfgripmate.com

Cheers,

Griff

re: Golf Grip Mate Regripping Tool
user24437
Reply : Mon 7th Apr 2014 13:22

Not used one of those specifically, but have toyed with the same principle. One thing to note is that although they are £30 odd you do need a workshop compressor to be able to use it. Could be expensive....

user88724
Reply : Tue 8th Apr 2014 19:33

Grips are taken off that way to facilitate re-use. Many club builders simply use a spring-rod grip remover (Golfsmith Europe no. 8218), grip solvent, and something to insert the solvent with. If one intends re-using a grip then to make any sense it needs to be almost new and one is usually additionally undertaking much more demanding other club building operations (spine alignment, changing head after alignment, re-shafting etc.) in which event a whole array of tools is needed and will need to be bought in.

For an amateur club builder wishing to remove a grip simply: (1) Roll back the narrow end of the grip and completely cut through that approx. 1 cm length, taking care not to mark the shaft, then (2) Using the stanley knife cut a straight line up the full length of the grip. Cut through about 80% of the grip's depth. Don't cut in too far otherwise the shaft could be marked. Particularly important with graphite shafts. Then, (3) Rip against the cut. If the grip doesn't rip open then cut a little deeper. But be careful of cutting yourself / accidentally changing religion. (Here comes the censor - delicate fellow).

P.S. Censor very clearly on holiday. Everything works much better without him or her. Even the occasional chuckle allowed now.

Last edit : Wed 9th Apr 2014 10:40
user418412
Reply : Fri 11th Apr 2014 00:10

Without that gadget I tried removing a grip I wanted to keep this morning, using compressor at work and it kinda exploded. Still got the new one on though!

user594539
Reply : Sun 6th Jul 2014 17:09

used this to regrip this morning piece of junk fitting do not fit in video you see pcv pipe you get 2 pieces of aluminum this is worthless yes old grips will explode even with pipes on grip should have known better it is from Thailand.

Last edit : Sun 6th Jul 2014 17:09

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top