Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Chris Russell

Posted by: user65660 | Tue 27th Nov 2007 23:12 | Last Reply

I am very confused as to how the handicaps are worked out(I appreciate that this matter is raised ad nauseam but I have just been cut .6 which seemed a bit harsh so I attempted to do my own calculation using your "golf handicap" explanation and am even more confused because if I'm working it correctly I shouldn't have moved!) Someone please throw some light on this as I find it hard enough to hit the bloody ball straight and keep my head down without having to worry if I'm going to be cut for managing to get on the green in two!

I started my last round with a handicap of 19.4. I went round in 85 against a SSS of 68 so I calculate a figure of 17 which puts me within the +3 "buffer zone" (incidentally my previous 3or 4 rounds have been nothing to write home about) but i find my revised handicap now 18.8!

I appreciate that when one is rounded down and the other rounded up they both come out at 19 but given the so called buffer I figure I shouldn't have moved so that when i screw up next time my handicap will be 19.5(20) and not 18.9(19) I hope this kind of makes sense and grateful for any advice from the good and wise.

Cheers,

Chris

re: Chris Russell
user52922
Reply : Tue 27th Nov 2007 23:25

This should hekp you understand, Chris.

Handicap of PlayerBuffer ZoneNett Differential Below ZeroNett Differentials Above Buffer ZoneCategory1:
Handicaps up to 50 to +1Handicaps reduced by 0.1 for each stroke nett differential is below zeroHandicap increased by 0.1Category 2:
Handicaps 6 to 120 to +2Handicap reduced by 0.2 for each stroke nett differential is below zeroHandicap increased by 0.1Category 3: Handicaps 13 to 200 to +3Handicap reduced by 0.3 for each stroke nett differential is below zeroHandicap increased by 0.1Category 4: Handicaps 21 to 280 to +4Handicap reduced by 0.4 for each stroke nett differential is below zeroHandicap increased by 0.1Category 5: Handicaps 29 to 36 ()0 to +5 ()Handicap reduced by 0.5 for each stroke nett differential is below zero ()Handicap increased by 0.1 ()

Last edit : Wed 28th Nov 2007 09:39
user52922
Reply : Tue 27th Nov 2007 23:26

So as you were in category three, the two shots that you were under your handicap incur a penalty of 0.3, this makes the 0.6 correct.

Be thankful as in the old days it would have been one whole shot at least.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 28th Nov 2007 09:06

Hi Chris, in simple terms the buffer only kicks in when you play worse than you handicap, if you play better the buffer is just ignored. 

Does this make sens ?  John's table should help with the 0 - +5 obviously if you had shot better than your handicap you would be -2 or something

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top