Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Broke 90!

Posted by: user565589 | Mon 24th Mar 2014 16:25 | Last Reply

Shot 88! Personal for me so far. I included an eagle on a par 4, holed a 200 yarder with a 3 iron, couldn't quite believe it after thinking my ball had rolled off the back of the green, checked the hole snd there it was. Happy days. So, that's brought my handicap down to 24.7 according to the golf shake calculator. Hopefully it's not just a lucky blip and I can continue to score like that. Considering I only picked a club up in september I feel like I'm doing pretty well. Is nowhere to 24.7 in 6 months fast? Or is that about average? Feeling good about my golf anyway.

re: Broke 90!
user418412
Reply : Mon 24th Mar 2014 18:02

That's excellant congratulations!

user24437
Reply : Mon 24th Mar 2014 18:22

Well done Brian, always nice to hit a milestone. The only problem is with this game is that you'll be gutted if you shoot over 100 next time, then you'll be disappointed if you don't hit sub 90's all the time, and then you'll get a sub 80 etc. etc. etc.

Brilliant game, innit?

user565589
Reply : Mon 24th Mar 2014 20:06

Thanks guys, I have mentally prepared myself for the eventuality of hitting 110 on the next round been perfectly happy with sub 100's and my aim is to consistently go sub 100 and then anything better than that is a bonus for the time being. 80% of my drives still end up in the rough to the right of the fairway so I need to work on that. My main area of improvement has been with the long irons, really catching some sweet connections with 3,4, 5 irons, the mishits, toppers and fats are getting rarer with every passing week. My chipping is still pretty atrocious mind you

user16106
Reply : Tue 25th Mar 2014 19:25

Great brian! Thats one big target out the way. Next is 85 cos breaking 80 is not easy. I had a look at your round and you played fantastic first 13 holes, what happened at the end? The amount of times ive said 'if only'.....My target for this year is break 80, its just a case of keeping it tidy and a few good putts go in... IF ONLY. Best of luck Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user565589
Reply : Wed 26th Mar 2014 20:56

Thanks Dave, in a strange sort of way hitting that Eagle on the 13th got me a bit flustered, I was so amazed to find my ball in the hole after hitting such a sweet 3 iron it threw my concentration and things fell apart for the next few holes. Wasn't really until the 18th that I calmed down a bit and got back in the zone and made par (3). Breaking 85 is still a long way off for me! I think 88 was a bit of a blip and won't be beating myself up if I'm back around the 100 mark next round. Consistently breaking 100 is my goal for now, else is a bonus!

user309476
Reply : Thu 27th Mar 2014 13:32

good going! I've been trying for 17 years and only ever shot 1 round under 90 when i borrowed a friends clubs to try! do you keep a track of your GIR/FIR and putts? 90% of the time i can walk off and look at my card and see exactly where I've dropped those few elusive shots! other times you just know it's not been your day!

it sounds like golf is your game if you've only been playing since September, do you get to play often?

keep up the good work.

user565589
Reply : Fri 28th Mar 2014 19:07

Thanks Darren, I do count my putts but don't put them in the golfshake calculator as I'm too lazy. If I 2 putt them I'm happy I think the reason I'm getting better scores is just simply fown to more consistent contact with my irons, the real duff pea rollers and thinned wedges which fly 40 yards over the green are slowly disappearing. I reckon I've played at least 1 round a week on a erage since I inherited my clubs and get to the range 3 times a month.

user16106
Reply : Fri 28th Mar 2014 19:50

After going through a few months of dire golf ( 22-32 pts ) I have had a couple of good rounds lately. Both rounds shot 90 and left a few shots on the course. Sat ad sunday Im playing 2 not the ost difficult but still 6000 ish yds. Rookwood and farleigh court. Have got very low 80s on these 2 in the past and hope to get sub 90 both days. Heres hoping. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user565589
Reply : Tue 1st Apr 2014 08:13

How'd you get on at the weekend Dave? The back 9 at Rookwood absolutely killed me, hope you faired better.

user553910
Reply : Wed 2nd Apr 2014 11:20

Congrats Brian. Like you, I started last summer and broke 90 on 28th December, also an 88.

I have not managed to repeat the feat since. I scored 105 last Friday. Stupid game.

user16106
Reply : Wed 2nd Apr 2014 19:29

Brian the weekend was a game of two halfs as in saturday at farleigh was a nightmare, very windy and I shot 103 AAAHHHH. On sunday I played Rookwood good start Par, Bogie then I couldnt hit a thing on the easy 3rd Shank off the tee, thin, fat, wet, treble bogie. Then it went well Par,Par,Par,Par,Bogie, birdie. For 22 pts out. 2 blobs on the back at the tricky 12th and the easy 16th. Bogie bogie finish ok for an 88. 36 pts very happy. Its a funny old game. The sad thing is I dont know what i did differently on sunday to satyrday. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

Last edit : Wed 2nd Apr 2014 19:30

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top