Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Recommend irons for a (slight) improver

Posted by: user565589 | Thu 20th Mar 2014 16:53 | Last Reply

So, still loving it and slowly getting better! The duff shots are growing more rare with every round and I'm starting to think about getting a new set of irons in the next few months as up untilnow I've been using an old set of ben sayers which I inherited. Was thinking about some cleveland 588 altitude or mid trajectory? My hc is still only 27 but I can feel myself getting better all the time and I usually break 100 these days where as 3 months ago I was happy with going under 120.

So, fellow improvers or those who can remember what it's like starting out, which irons did you feel helped? Recommendations please. They don't have to be the latest models, I'm more than happy to hit ebay, golf bidder etc as I don't really think I need to be spend g more than 400-500 quid.

Also, those of you who have had fittings, what does it entail? Is it worth it? Recommend a good servce in London area?

re: Recommend irons for a (slight) improver
user418412
Reply : Thu 20th Mar 2014 20:44

Hi Brian,

I would definitely recommend trying stuff out before you buy, I have always had great service from American golf but I know people who have had bad experiences with them. You may wish to save custom fitting until your swing is really settled down, I'm about 3 years in now and am only now swinging consistently enough to know for sure that I need my irons slightly flat. When upgrading from my Wilson beginners set I tried a lot of irons out, I found that I preferred slimmer headed irons but ones that still gave forgiveness and plenty of distance. I went for a slightly older model in TaylorMade burner 2.0 irons but it really is personal choice. I looked at the 588 range as I've really fallen in love with my Cleveland Classic driver and liked the idea of mix and matching the set although in the end they didn't suit me. My word of warning would be to pay careful attention to the loft of the wedges in the iron set to make sure you keep gapping with your other wedges. Distance irons can end up having very strong lofts now, my PW is 45 degrees so I have carry a gap wedge as well.

Enjoy the shopping and let us all know what you go for.

user565589
Reply : Fri 21st Mar 2014 16:21

Thanks David,

I'll definitely be tring out a few different models. Pretty happy with my ben sayers at the moment but as I say, if my progress continues then I'll be wanting to upgrade before summers out so may as well start my research now. On my list are, cleveland 588, mizuno jpx, ping g series, TM rocketbladez and I'll try some burners too. Going to book a session at American golf in new malden soon, will post my results.

user418412
Reply : Sat 22nd Mar 2014 18:35

Be good to hear what you think. Enjoy!

user16106
Reply : Sat 22nd Mar 2014 19:40

Brian, Ive said this loads of times in the past. Try a set from ebay or golfbidder for £100-£150 a good set that you can sell on if they dont suit you. Some brands always sell and you wont loose a lot when you resell them. Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, to name but 3. Some brands on the other hand you cant give em away with a free alarm clock, I wont name them. I personally would recommend Callaway X-12, X-14 and my current model X-16. They are dead easy to hit but I find they are 1 club short in distance to my current Wilson Fatshafts. I would also say the wilsons are good improver clubs at a good price. No offence meant but dont spend £500 until youve reached a certain level. Maybe 18 hcap or lower, as you should improve with a fitted set then would they still 'fit' if you lost 10 shots on your hcap? Best of luck choosing. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

Last edit : Sat 22nd Mar 2014 19:42
user565589
Reply : Sun 23rd Mar 2014 09:54

Totally agree Dave, I have been researching on ebay etc. As I say, pretty happy with my old ben sayers but over the next six months or so I'll research what I want. Almost done an impulse buy ln some mizuno jpx 800's but thought better of it. I certainly won't be going for a brand new set, last years or the last few seasons models are just as good for my limited skills!

user106712
Reply : Sun 23rd Mar 2014 19:00

American Golf are doing new Wilson DX11 irons 5-SW for £199. Easy to hit and long.

user477305
Reply : Mon 24th Mar 2014 11:27

If you can find them Brian I would recommend MD Golf. Not always the most well known but they make exceptional clubs for the prices they go for. You will usually find them in the 'best value' section of magazines. I bought a full set of forged 'Seve Icon' irons about 4-5 years ago and I love them. It would take a lot for me to consider changing clubs now, they aren't as forgiving as a lot of intermediate sets (burners etc) but I know that if I ever decided to take my golf more seriously these would last me a lot longer.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top