Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Get my handicap down

Posted by: user574136 | Fri 14th Mar 2014 10:03 | Last Reply

I've been playing 9 years with a few years break in between back to playing regularly the last 3 years, the problem is sometimes I feel like a beginner and want to get my handicap down. My problems are slicing tee shots and topping the ball more than I should after playing 9 years and general inconsistency sometimes I hit a peach then might top it and iron shots end up left or right just very inconsistent. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

re: Get my handicap down
user574040
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2014 10:18

Hi John, I have been playing golf for the past 20 odd years and have always been searching for help to improve my game....I recently purchased a Skypro from www.golfswinganalysers.co.uk which has worked wonders for me, I got a free on course pocket golf professional with my purchase to help me understand my swing faults.....you should take a look.

user477305
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2014 11:47

John have you had any lessons? I think you need a pro to take a look at what you are doing and to tell you why you are slicing and topping. Throwing money at new equipment won't help with that. Start with a standard set of 6 (play a few rounds in-between) and you will start to be so much more consistent. Your scores should start tumbling after that and so will your handicap.

In the short term just play shots that your comfortable with. If you can hit a 7 iron consistent (most people claim this is their best club), play 7 iron, 7 iron, wedge, and 2 putt on a par 4. Yeah you've made bogey but it's miles better than slicing your drive and taking 4 shots to get back on the fairway.

user43763
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2014 13:15

john, do you have a video of your swing? Ive recently had loads of lessons and am now starting to take effect. MY reasons for topping as well as the occasional fat was due to a wild right arm, I would loose a lot of width on the way back which would cause my right bicep to touch my forearm loosing my "box". if you swing over the top which is quite symptomatic of a slice, then swing back to the top of your swing and focus on getting your left armpit moving upwards and backwards diagonally. it might feel like your right shoulder is going to knock your chin but it wont. your arms should come back on the inside and your weight will naturally move to your front foot.

user418412
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2014 13:31

Got to agree with lessons, find a pro you get on with and that will make more difference than anything else. I'm a topper (on my general bad contact) and mine is due to a loss of posture in the backswing by overswinging or not rotating properly causing me to rise up. A slice is caused by and out to in swing path and an open face at impact.

user574136
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2014 14:40

Thanks for advice everyone there's a few things on there to work on, I've had a few lessons maybe need to keep them up for longer. Thanks to everyone

user43763
Reply : Wed 26th Mar 2014 21:05

John i would definatly say stick with the lessons, i had 3 a month every month since october, since october i played 5 rounds, the first 3 were as if i hadnt had lessons according to the scores low 90's ish, but in januarys lessons things just seemed to "click", ive played twice since that lesson, i shot a 2 under net on a course i hadnt played before and my last round out was sunday where i scored 42 points, won the sunday comp, and cut 2 shots off my handicap. stick with it!!! you will feel like its a waste of time after some lessons but i think what you take most out of lessons is how to notice during a round what your doing wrong and applying the taught fix, rather than your buddy telling you your over the top and try and get more "lag" or some other rubbish.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top