Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf lessons

Posted by: user16106 | Tue 11th Mar 2014 20:47 | Last Reply

Ive finally decided to bite the bullet and after 17 years of playing golf have decided my game is at such a low that I am going to have lessons. I have a few options near me ( Crawley ) any advice would be welcome. Lesson with video, trackman, top dollar, off mats, of grass, once a week once a month.? HHEELLPP. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

re: Golf lessons
user43763
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2014 09:32

Depends on how you learn really dave, Im coming to the end of my winter lessosn now, ive had about 15 in total, what I would say is make sure you leave enough time between lessons to practice because If I didn't hit balls between lessons the next lesson just went over what we did in the last one. Also my coach is very 'feel' based no trackman etc, and I think having something to prove what im changing is having an effect would be a big advantage. for my next set I think im going to look for a trackman/flightscope, possibly with video. the more technology the better imo.

user477305
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2014 10:47

Dave I think you need to think about what you are going to be covering in those lessons. For example generally speaking your first lesson will see the biggest (certainly the most noticeable to you) change, as the coach will most likely alter any bad habits you have gotten into. These have become habits because they feel comfortable, thus when you change your new swing will likely feel unnatural. As this is the case you may need longer after your first lesson in order to really 'get to grips' with the changes.

I think that the frequency of the rest of the lessons should depend entirely on you. Whenever you feel as though what you have learnt is now autonomous, move on to the next lesson.

user43763
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2014 12:30

another thing I would mention is discuss with whoever you decide to go with, the approach you want to take. The first guy I had lessons with would give me tips and tricks on how to make my swing work, which was fine but I wanted a full breakdown of my swing and redevelop a technically sound full swing. the guy ive been with for the last few months has completely changed my swing for the better but I told him to start from scratch, he even admits to me it was harder getting me to forget my old swing then it was teaching me the new one. Well worth the time and patience now, cant wait for the summer!!

user425195
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2014 13:59

Dave, from my experience here is are some of thoughts:

1. I spent a lot of money with the wrong teacher, I knew quite early on that he wasn't right for me, but persevered as I didn't know any better - just had me hitting balls, but when I was on the course and it wasn't working I had nothing to fall back on in terms of fundementals. I changed twice after that before I found a pro I am happy with - lesson, don't be afraid to sack him move onto someone else if you're not gettng the results you want.

2. Having found the right pro - make this the only advice you listen to, magazine or internet tips will conflict and fill your head with rubbish that will undo anything you have acheived.

3. I found that spreadng the lessons out, sometime 5 or 6 weeks apart, not only saves you money, but gives time for what you learned to bed in before your next lesson.

4. Once you've acheived your initial objectives, assuming you don;t want to keep going regularly, have a lesson every three months or so - 30 minutes is more than enough to correct the little flaws that creep into your swing.

Just some words from someone who spent far too much on lessons in the begiinign of my golfing career.

Good luck!

Last edit : Fri 14th Mar 2014 13:59
user16106
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2014 19:00

Thanks for your views and advice, all good fod for thought. 1 question, at the initial consultation with your new coach, how does the process go? Does he watch you hit a few balls then says this is where I think we can get to with a bit of hard work. Or do you tell him this is what I want to be able to do, can you get me there? Or something inbetween ? Dave CAC handed Georddie.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2014 15:45

OK Dave, here goes.

Greg made some very sound points and taking a long look at this is a very good idea. Treat you 'coach' like your 'doctor', if things aren't right go see them. A good Pro will suggest the correct amount of time for each lesson depending on how quick you take things in and what you are working on. One lesson can be 15mins, another can be 60mins, you will know how things are going quickly. And lastly (for now) always practice until you have got the last work completed before going to the next step.

It is a fact that most PGA Pro's will not have total beginners hit a ball in their first lesson, even though those beginners wants to, and think they should.

Last edit : Sat 15th Mar 2014 15:48

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top