Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Trousers tucked in, major faux pas

Posted by: user565589 | Mon 10th Mar 2014 20:17 | Last Reply

So, as most of you know, I'm 6 mths or so into my golf career and still getting to grips with the etiquette side of things. On the 18th at Mitcham today and struck up a conversation withth a guy who was playing in front of me, after complimenting me on my tee shot ( I greened it! Bit of a fluke to be fair) he explained that it's not really the done thing to tuck your trousers into your socks like I'd done. amazingly he told me this as he was taking his trousers out if his socks?! He said he was only doing it as they were his good trousers. I should point out that this guy was also wearing a Man city tracksuit top so wasn't exactlyaling an effort sartorially. I think he may have been a bit peeved as he had totally sliced his tee shot into the bushes and i greened mine after telling him I'd only started playing in september.

Is this a thing in most clubs? I've been doing it all the time! Have I been embarrassing myself all this time?

re: Trousers tucked in, major faux pas
user25808
Reply : Tue 11th Mar 2014 16:48

Hi Brian

You'll find most clubs will have quite a strict dress code, most will not allow you to play with your trousers tucked into your socks. I suppose a Man City track suit top wouldn't come under the 'no football, rugby shirt' banner, that would depend on the individual club and their dress code. Always pays to look up the dress code of golf clubs especially if you haven't played there before. I have seen 1 or 2 guys severely embarrassed by turning up at a course and getting a rollicking from a club official or member for being inappropriately dressed.

user477305
Reply : Wed 12th Mar 2014 11:06

From what I've seen I think that the trousers in the socks rule is quite split. Some clubs clearly state on the dress code that you can't do it, others don't mention it at all. I think that if they haven't mentioned it then you can assume it is OK to go ahead with.

user469358
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2014 10:51

Payne Stewart didnt seem to have too many problems with this in his career and he always did it!

user246701
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2014 14:15

I think Payne Stewart was wearing plus fours (or similar) rather than simply tucking his trousers into his socks !

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2014 15:35

Correct Brian T. Most clubs allow Plus 4's, but not normal trousers tucked into socks. This is allowed under Waterproof Trousers though.

user48341
Reply : Sat 15th Mar 2014 21:26

I think Mr Constable was only trying to inject a little good humour into the debate....

user80078
Reply : Sun 16th Mar 2014 16:59

Don't fret about it Brian. It's one of those things that are OK in some places and not others. I would just check before going out if I thought I might need to resort to 'tucking in'. The bloke himself started with no credibility when sporting a Man City track suit top. 'Nuff' said..

user451055
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2014 17:18

I have found it to be frowned upon at most courses but I have played two courses this winter where I have ignored the rules and tucked them in. The course was so wet and muddy that it should really have been closed. Of course, if it was closed they would lose all the green fees so they left it open with appalling conditions. If it is going to be that wet and muddy underfoot them I am tucking the trousers in!

user99350
Reply : Thu 20th Mar 2014 13:28

I can't see why it's regarded as offensive, seems commonsense if it's wet and muddy. I was once asked to refrain when played at Bigley St. Ives.... he must have caught me unawares as I obliged.

user565589
Reply : Thu 20th Mar 2014 17:34

Well, at least I'm not the only one mot dure why it's an issue really. It's wet n muddy out there sometimes and you don't want to get dirty. As a new comer to the game it's precisely this kind of thing that scares people off.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top