Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Playing abroad

Posted by: user505148 | Mon 3rd Mar 2014 16:35 | Last Reply

Playing abroad in portugal for the first time on sunday, has anyone played there before and have any ideas on how the courses play different to the ones in england. for example club distances i have been told are different?

re: Playing abroad
user24437
Reply : Mon 3rd Mar 2014 16:44

Played there a lot, last 7 years or so. Distances on course are always in metres, so just add 10% for yardage (210m is roughly 231yds). Balls will fly further as it's generally warmer, and courses aren't generally as soggy so more run on fairways - the grass is also coarser which helps this too.

If my experience is anything to go by you'll love it, just to get a bit of sun on your face at this time of year if nothing else. It rained quite heavily for us this year but I still enjoyed it, only one of the courses suffered really badly (Alto)

user505148
Reply : Mon 3rd Mar 2014 16:48

ok we are playing the pestana vila sol which is 27 hole 3 9 hole course? have you played that?

i have a gps so hopefully the metres into yard wont be such a problem, its more for my approach shots, no knowing whether to use a club more or less.

user24437
Reply : Mon 3rd Mar 2014 17:26

Yeah, played Vila Sol couple of weeks ago, it was in pretty good nick. Don't worry too much about the approach yardages, just do them like you would in summer here. Assume you'll be doing the 'normal' 18 (the other 9 seems to be generally for members), not my favourite course to be honest. Do me a favour though, can you have a look in the patio of the house on the left of the 6th about 240yds down? Should be a Srixon Z Star there with brackets around the number....

user505148
Reply : Mon 3rd Mar 2014 17:34

Apparently we have booked in to do all 27 holes with a different loop every day. Well I hope so as that's what we were sold.

user16106
Reply : Mon 3rd Mar 2014 18:04

Not jealous. Douce Super Bock obrigado. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user80078
Reply : Tue 4th Mar 2014 12:40

Lovely course at Vila Sol. It has been used for Portugal Open in the past. Would agree with all advice so far given, but I would say don't over reach yourself as it's very tempting to do. Just play within yourself and you can score there. Whatever, have fun. I'm, very envious but look forward to your report from the Algarve. lol.

user80078
Reply : Tue 4th Mar 2014 13:31

One final thought. I found that if I kept my handicap in mind and didn't feel I had to reach the long par 4's in two, or 5's in three, I played steadily and scored OK. Enjoy..

Last edit : Tue 4th Mar 2014 13:31
user505148
Reply : Tue 4th Mar 2014 13:42

yeh thats what i want to do, trying to find out from the course which 18 hole combination we are playing and on what days so i can have a look at what holes to maybe target and which ones to go steady on

user80078
Reply : Tue 4th Mar 2014 16:25

Even when dry the greens are very holding, but putting needs full concentration. The slopes are subtle, but putts have the habit of travelling a few feet extra even when looking dead weight. You'll have fun!!

user24437
Reply : Tue 4th Mar 2014 16:28

It's not actually a massive course Jason, there are only a couple of par 4's that are a stretch for us mortals, the par 5's aren't too bad. Some of the par 3's are intimidating and may be a bit of a stretch if you aren't confident with long irons! The main thing, I would say, is accuracy off the tee as it's tree lined and unforgiving offline. And some water...

Just had a look a the card and we basically played 1 - 18, the other 9 (19-27) appears to be called the academy course.

user505148
Reply : Tue 4th Mar 2014 16:29

cool thats good to no, i noticed in spain last year how different and difficult the greens were so was expecting the same this year,

did you play all 3 of the 9 hole courses??

user505148
Reply : Tue 4th Mar 2014 16:33

we have been told that its 3 9 hole course are called, challenge, prime and prestige and the scorecard on here says that 2? or am i going wrong somewhere

user24437
Reply : Tue 4th Mar 2014 16:36

I think it was challenge and prime we did, but the course cards seem to be for those two. Here is the course map. http://www.pestanagolf.com/Golf/pestana-vila-sol-golf-algarve.html#about

user505148
Reply : Tue 4th Mar 2014 16:47

wicked, yeh thats what i have been looking at, we have 3 rounds there, apprently a different 18 on the different days so hopefully thats what we get

user505148
Reply : Wed 19th Mar 2014 14:51

can say that playing in portugal is fantastic and a experience everyone should have

user451055
Reply : Thu 20th Mar 2014 15:45

I was in the Algarve last weekend for my first visit and it was a great golfing holiday. The resorts seem to be close to the airport (30 mins max) so not too much of a pain to get where you are going. We played San Lorenzo twice and Val de Lobos once. The greens were good, the courses in good condition but it took a while to get used to the very sandy fairways. At least that is what I am blaming my crap iron play and chipping on!! Temperatures last weekend were 20-24 degrees. I cam back with a tan so pack the shorts! Nice too that there is no time difference.

user249572
Reply : Fri 21st Mar 2014 10:37

Played The Old Course (again!), The Laguna (not my choice) and The Onyria Palmares last year - just sheer golfing heaven. I loved Palmares - but The Old Course is still the daddy, in my humble opinion...

user566390
Reply : Wed 2nd Apr 2014 22:15

Jason, You will most likely find the greens a bit quick on the better courses compared to the UK. Just enjoy that is very important.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top